Carolina Huddle

3 hours ago, Varking said:

I dislike the whole argument of “kid goes to Y school so he can’t be a good pro”. That’s not a good way to judge prospects at all. The only knock on BYU this year is the same as Trey Lance faced last year and this year: They don’t play anybody all year long. So you’ll judge based off of skills and not results, or judge them off of one game to end the year. It’s sucks. 

I get the competition argument and it does have merit but the basics of the evaluation should be the same regardless of level of competition. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I get the competition argument and it does have merit but the basics of the evaluation should be the same regardless of level of competition. 

Competition will always weigh into the discussion though. Just like how the playoff committee doesn’t just bring a team in any undefeated team into the playoff because who you play does count. If you run roughshod over JV squads it doesn’t really show us anything. There’s no real pressure. 

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

Competition will always weigh into the discussion though. Just like how the playoff committee doesn’t just bring a team in any undefeated team into the playoff because who you play does count. If you run roughshod over JV squads it doesn’t really show us anything. There’s no real pressure. 

Yeah but I mean for a pro evaluation. The biggest thing I would worry about is the stage being too big and the speed of the game possibly being too much. The ball placement, pocket awareness, arm strength, decision making, etc....all that stuff should show up regardless of level.

14 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

If y'all could spit Fields dick out for a minute you might notice that the QB for Indiana had a better day against a better team.

Literally no people in this thread have said otherwise. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but I mean for a pro evaluation. The biggest thing I would worry about is the stage being too big and the speed of the game possibly being too much. The ball placement, pocket awareness, arm strength, decision making, etc....all that stuff should show up regardless of level.

That’s the hard part to evaluate, as you said. The speed of the game. Give a guy time to throw and most will drop dimes. Pressure him and don’t allow free wide receiver releases and how does he react?

Edited by Varking
  • Beer 1

We have a serial pooer. I think we found Sizzles alt. Going to have to block this one too. 

• Flames 2

6 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Jeremy Chinn may win rookie of the year and was playing for a nothing school this time last year. Couldn’t agree with you more.

Is Jeremy Chinn a QB1, nope.  There is a vast difference in responsibility between a starting QB and a hybrid safety/Lb.  not even in the same category 

Its amazing how many people want to reach for a qb when bpa is clearly our best choice this year.  We cant afford to bust on QB with all the holes we have in our team.  

37 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Its amazing how many people want to reach for a qb when bpa is clearly our best choice this year.  We cant afford to bust on QB with all the holes we have in our team.  

Bpa argument isn’t valid when talking qb. You can tell yourself that all you want, but it just isn’t. Drafting primetime himself as bpa isn’t as effective as getting your guy at QB 

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Is Jeremy Chinn a QB1, nope.  There is a vast difference in responsibility between a starting QB and a hybrid safety/Lb.  not even in the same category 

Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa. Steve McNair went to Alcorn State. Tony Romo went to Northern Illinois. Carson Wentz went to North Dakota State. Rich Gannon went to Delaware.

So what’s your point? Because my point still stands. Just because a kid goes to a small school doesn’t mean he can’t develop into a star. Sure it’s more risky, but it’s not the deciding factor.

10 hours ago, TikTOK said:

I’m afraid that Fields might just be another Deshaun Watson. Looks good but can’t single handily win you a game when it’s needed most. Wilson might not be spectacular and from a smaller school but could be special in the NFL. 

If you need any player to "single handedly win you a game when it's needed most" ie playoffs or playoff implication game, then you have already lost at the NFL level. Teams win games. No one player can do it on their own. 

See: Sanders, Barry: Greatest RB of all time stuck on a perpetually craptacular team.

3 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa. Steve McNair went to Alcorn State. Tony Romo went to Northern Illinois. Carson Wentz went to North Dakota State. Rich Gannon went to Delaware.

So what’s your point? Because my point still stands. Just because a kid goes to a small school doesn’t mean he can’t develop into a star. Sure it’s more risky, but it’s not the deciding factor.

Big Ben went to Miami of Ohio. Josh Allen barely went to school. 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If you need any player to "single handedly win you a game when it's needed most" ie playoffs or playoff implication game, then you have already lost at the NFL level. Teams win games. No one player can do it on their own. 

See: Sanders, Barry: Greatest RB of all time stuck on a perpetually craptacular team.

I think what he is looking for is a QB with the ability to take over a game and elevate the talent around him on offense to pick up a struggling defense. There are plenty of QBs who can do that in the NFL. We don’t have that currently. We saw Mahomes do it this past playoff year where his team was down in basically every game and he stormed a comeback. We have seen Brady get locked in and take over a game. We have seen Nick Foles do it. If there was a such thing as a Playoff Teddy I’d love to see it. 

3 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Roughly half of NFL games are decided by 8 points or less. While no one player can win you a football game, that's why the "it factor" is so important with QBs. You need a guy who will reliably be at his best when it matters the most. Jake was a fairly average QB, but he had the "it factor". So far, Teddy has shown not to have "it".

2 hours ago, Varking said:

I think what he is looking for is a QB with the ability to take over a game and elevate the talent around him on offense to pick up a struggling defense. There are plenty of QBs who can do that in the NFL. We don’t have that currently. We saw Mahomes do it this past playoff year where his team was down in basically every game and he stormed a comeback. We have seen Brady get locked in and take over a game. We have seen Nick Foles do it. If there was a such thing as a Playoff Teddy I’d love to see it. 

Everyone wants this, but at any given time there are MAYBE a handful of qb's active in the league who can do it. Out of a league of 32 teams. Not only are your odds long of acquiring one, but look at the handful who presently fit into this category and tell me which ones were drafted at the very top of the draft? 

Bottom line, yes, everyone wants this qb, but the odds are not only long, there is a ton of luck involved, so insisting you MUST build your team around acquiring one of these is like insisting the only way to get rich is to win the lottery.  

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Roughly half of NFL games are decided by 8 points or less. While no one player can win you a football game, that's why the "it factor" is so important with QBs. You need a guy who will reliably be at his best when it matters the most. Jake was a fairly average QB, but he had the "it factor". So far, Teddy has shown not to have "it".

Teddy has shown he cannot overcome a craptacular OL to throw game winning bombs while running for his life.

So sue him. 

One player does not a game win. Yes I'm aware of crunch time and wanting a qb who plays well in those circumstances. Jake was able to do it because he had a solid line to pay behind and an all world receiver to throw the ball to, not to mention a solid D that kept that average qb in the game. Side note: Jake also failed to excel at crunch time on plenty of occasions, but observation bias means people tend not to remember those times as well.

I am neither particularly for Teddy nor particularly against, but this argument that he should be discarded because he can't do things that maybe 5 players in the whole game can do is absurd. Set the bar somewhere in reality. I know that is not really the Huddle's thing, but in this case it's just nonsense.

Edited by 1of10Charnatives