• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lions vs. Cowboys Gameday Thread

PhillyB

Let me tell you the true story behind America's team.......

This story is document and in a book by Pgh Newspaper sports writer Joe Gordon I believe is his name.

The Pgh Steelers in the early 70's were the joke of the NFL......never winning a playoff game since the 20's. After they won their first two super bowls in 1974 and1975.........the following season when MNF traveled all over the country covering games Roone Arledge of ABC sports went to Steeler's owner Art Rooney Sr. before the next season of MNF and told Art that all over the country in various MNF games they always saw Steeler fans in attendance...........and that as a result ABC sports would like to refer to the Steelers as "America's Team"...............

Art Rooney replied that while he appreciated any and all support that the Steelers have.....that the team belongs to the city and fans of Pittsburgh and that he would rather not be referred to as America's team. 

Roone said that's fine and asked Art if he would mind if they would ask their second choice team to give them that name..........the Dallas Cowboys..................and Art said, be my guest.......

So Roone then asked the Cowboys........and now you know the rest of the story.

When I tell this true story to Cowboys fans today... they react to this like an evangelical Christian creationists reacts to a scientist showing them proof of evolution through vestigial DNA sequencing of common ancestry..........putting their hands over their ears and yelling, "Na Na naaa naaa Na Na!........I can't hear you!!!!"

Could you imagine the woody that Jerry Jones would have if he was the owner of the Cowboys back then? and Roone asked him that?

He would probably have told Roone "how much money do you need to give us that name"?

I absolutely loath that organization..........

Not exactly. Usually there are some neat story lines and they push those teams in. Patriots after 911. Saints a bit after Katrina. Harbaugh vs harbaugh. Defense vs offense last year. This year they may go for most popular team since no big story lines. There are tons of playoff evidence over the last decade.

Take the tin foil hat off. If they wanted to rig a Super Bowl winner after 9/11 it would have been the Giants since it happened in New York.

The 49ers had the best defense and flacco was hot in his playoff run.

And last year Seattle had the best defense that won them games and manning had the best offense. That's why they got there.

Not necessarily. That would be too obvious.

How would that be too obvious? Patriots, packers, Ravens, Colts all teams that make the playoffs every year. What's so far fetched about another team making it every year?

Also if it was rigged for the Cowboys and the NFL to make money the Cowboys would have one more playoffs wins than just one since the 2000's. Smh

Archived