• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Walter Payton Tribute

Mr. Scot

Said it before: The first question I always ask when comparing two players at the same position is "What can one guy do that the other guy can't?"

Sanders could run around and past people, for certain. I always used to say they needed to make sure they never pointed the sideline mikes behind Sanders, because there was usually a trail of expletives in his wake. As far as real elusiveness though, Payton had it too. Granted, the way Sanders did it was more fun and exciting to watch, but that didn't really make it any more effective.

Payton, however, could also run over and through people. Never really saw Sanders do that. Defenders knew they'd pay for hitting Payton. He finished runs that strongly.

I'm a big fan of Sanders, and I hate to agree with his dad (who's a prick) but I do think he's the third best rusher in league history behind Payton and Jim Brown.

Craft a strong enough argument, and you might convince me to take Sanders over Brown, but not over Payton.

Payton, however, could also run over and through people. Never really saw Sanders do that. Defenders knew they'd pay for hitting Payton. He finished runs that strongly.

This is my favorite part of his game--I've only seen him in highlights, of course, but you just gotta respect a guy that fearless. I mean, the man ATTACKED people. Honestly, it almost seems like he would've rather headbutted them than try to juke them.

Which is another reason I'm amazed at his longevity. I mean, LT's practically done and he's thirty...Michael Tuner's exhausted after one year...and neither of them are as physical as Payton was.

My contention has always been that Sweetness was the best NFL football player of all time, not necessarily the best runningback, though I will definitely go to bat for him in that regard. Like Mr. Scot said, he could do it ALL- run around you, run over you, run through you... and look like a majestic stallion in doing so.

Archived