• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Round Comparision (Interesting)

MtnProwler

I know some of you will kill me on this, others will find this interesting. Note: I use stats to see trends, not for absolutes. For example, we all know the 5th round All-Pro picks and the 1st round duds, but more times than not more 1st rounders outperform 5th rounders, and so on. This took a little more time than I would have hoped but now I'm interested in further comparisons, additional teams (not just Panthers / Saints) and by overall pick instead of round.

As teams are still working on filling their depth charts, this is as of 4/8/20:

Panthers Starting Position (Average Draft Round) / Saints Starting Position (Average Draft Round):

QB: 1 / 2

RB/FB: 3.5 / 4

WR(top 3): 3.66 / 2.66

TE: 4 / 3

OL: 3.6 / 2

Total(12 positions): 3.42 / 2.5

DL: 4.5 / 1.75

LB(3): 3.33 / 2.66

DBs(4): 3.75 / 1.75

Total(11 positions): 3.9 / 2

In Summary:

1) The Saints are pretty much complete with their starters, and this is before the draft. That is, their starters on average are better than 3rd rounders, while on average, the Panthers are mid to late 3rd round. The advantage does go to the Panthers in the draft, in trying to improve these numbers, as they have a 2nd round pick and the Saints do not.

2)Offense: I'm not too entirely concerned with our discrepancy for two reasons: Robby Anderson, went undrafted which brings our average numbers up, but he is obviously valued much higher than that now. Our offense would be in the high 2nd round average if you re-evaluate Anderson to a 3rd or 2nd round. And my second reason, McCaffrey, period. However, we still need help on OL by picking up talent in either: round 1, 2, or FA. Sitting close to the same offensive round average as the Saints, at this point, probably doesn't bode well for those wanting early offensive draft picks, especially at the skilled position where there isn't much room to improve in those areas.

3) Our Defense, good god. Saints will start three 1st rounders on DL and average the same, 1.75, at DB. Obviously, the Panther's numbers are being driven by numerous vacant starting holes. But this proves we still need to utilize FA as much as possible and continue to spend money there, as the draft can only help so much. Even if we go all defense in rounds 1-3, this improves the Panther's average to the lower 3rd round. We need additional FA help if we wish to be in the 2nd round. Likewise, if Saints go DL for their 1st round pick, their entire D will have an average round of 1.7. They literally wouldn't have any starters outside of the 3rd round on their depth chart.

Archived