• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

OK, just finished 'forever peace' by Halderman... very good read.

I like his writing style most of all... and he has a unique view of the future. I wonder how much of the "jack" tech he got from watching 'The Matrix' or if that was an original idea that was just very similar to it.

One thing I noticed about 'The Coming' and 'forever peace' is that he seems to (for lack of a better term) tire of the story as they both seemed to end quite abruptly. It was like he told the meat of the story, but didn't feel like going to an in depth conclusion...

Overall a good read though...

He published Forever Peace in '97 and the Matrix was '99 so I'm guessing more coincidence than anything.

You're absolutely right about his endings though. Its like he just decides he is done writing and ties the whole thing up in a dozen pages.

Yeah, I was thinking it was published in 2000... that makes more sense. Maybe the Wachoski bros got the idea from him... :lol:

Ok.. so over the weekend I finished both, 'Forever Free' and 'Old Mans War'...

FF was better than the last two Halderman books... partially because it didn't end so abruptly. It's not as good as 'The Forever War' but a good read..

I literally just finished OMW like 5 minutes ago... picked it up last night and couldn't put it down. Excellent book, thanks for the recommendations guys. Apparently there are sequels to OMW so I'll have to get those now and google says that Paramount is planning a movie on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I caved in to the trend and bought The Hunger Games trilogy over the weekend because I was looking for something else to read... I've started the first book and am surprised how good it is so far...

I have a list of stuff that looks pretty interesting to me, but I can't snag it until I order it online or go to the book store... but has anyone got any comments on any of these?

Steve Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear (1&2 in a trilogy he's working on)

George R. Stewart - Earth Abides

lemme know

• Pie 1

Glad you bumped this j... I got and finished 'The Ghost Brigades' by Scalzi this weekend as my hurricane reading... good read. Not as good as 'Old Man's War' which it was a sequel to, but a good read.

I've heard about 'The Hunger Games' but haven't tried that yet... maybe I will.

THG is young adult fiction, so it isn't really geared towards adults or all that difficult to read... But the overall concept is pretty cool and original, and that is what is keeping me interested...