• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tale of the Tape

Johnny Rockets

Corner # 1

Jason Heyward

Height 6'5"

Weight - 240 lbs

Born - 9/9/1989 - Ridgewood, NJ

Bats - L

Throws - L

Drafted - 1st round 14th overall in 2007

2010 - #2

vs.

Corner #2

Michael Stanton

Height 6'5"

Weight - 240 lbs

Born - 11/8/1989

Bats - R

Throws - R

Drafted - 2nd round 79th overall in 2007

The battle starts tonight (The Rookie Rumble) and the progress shall be tracked in this thread.........

Let's Get Ready to Rumblllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle

Didn't realize that......that would be scary.

How is Freeman doing anyway?.....guy at my work wouldn't shut up about him in the beginning of the year but he has been quiet about it for sometime now. One of my good friends is a huge Braves fan and I thought I heard him say Freeman was struggling a bit awhile back.

Didn't realize that......that would be scary.

How is Freeman doing anyway?.....guy at my work wouldn't shut up about him in the beginning of the year but he has been quiet about it for sometime now. One of my good friends is a huge Braves fan and I thought I heard him say Freeman was struggling a bit awhile back.

He's been struggling in AAA, only posting a .765 OPS thus far. There were some concerns his knee was injured a while back, but the MRIs didn't show any damage. His power stroke has taken a step forward this year, but everything has regressed so far. I think its important to realize he's only 20 and in AAA though, not everybody can be a Jason Heyward or Mike Stanton and make the Bigs at such a young age.

Its going to be fun to see these two (Heyward and Stanton) get compared for the rest of the year, although I honestly (and not just because I'm a Braves fan) think Heyward is going to be better. This year is going to go down as a huge one for rookies, IMO.

Its going to be fun to see these two (Heyward and Stanton) get compared for the rest of the year, although I honestly (and not just because I'm a Braves fan) think Heyward is going to be better. This year is going to go down as a huge one for rookies, IMO.

I honestly don't think they are/will be the on the same tier either. Heyward Tier 1 and Stanton Tier 2. I think Stanton will be a Jay Bruce type......hot and the talk of the town at one point and then sizzle for awhile once pitchers figure him out. Heyward has staying power.

But considering Stanton is just starting out and players like him come in hot at first, and Heyward is battling a bad thumb (and may be all year), I think it might be fun to track for awhile.

Regardless, I would hate to get in bar fight with either one of those big S.O.Bs.

I honestly don't think they are/will be the on the same tier either. Heyward Tier 1 and Stanton Tier 2. I think Stanton will be a Jay Bruce type......hot and the talk of the town at one point and then sizzle for awhile once pitchers figure him out. Heyward has staying power.

But considering Stanton is just starting out and players like him come in hot at first, and Heyward is battling a bad thumb (and may be all year), I think it might be fun to track for awhile.

Regardless, I would hate to get in bar fight with either one of those big S.O.Bs.

Jay Bruce is a pretty good comparison, I've personally said he'd be an Adam Dunn-type hitter if he reaches his potential. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but his K's and power in the minors remind me a lot of Dunn.

Stanton

3/5

.600 avg.

2 runs

0 RBI

1 K

Heyward:

2/5

.400 avg.

1 Run

1 RBI

3 K's

Day 1 Winner: Stanton by split decision. Heyward had a RBI but 3K's and one less run scored and a lower batting average gave Stanton the slight edge.

Stanton - 1-0-0

Heyward - 0-1-0

:)

Strike outs sting just a bit more though......always seems to be the topic of converstion when people talk about Ryan Howard no?

I included K's because it was on the stat line I looked at (Plus Heyward had more last night :) )

Like I said, an out is an out, a strikeout is no worse than getting way out in front of something and hitting a tapper back to the pitcher. People talk about Dunn's strikeouts too, but as long as he's hitting 40HR and carrying a .400 OPB, I wouldn't care if he struck out every other at-bat.

Way to admit a bias, too. :P

Archived