• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

you should come down to atlanta and take a tour of the brewery. it's amazing. i love sweet water, and it's better because it's made here. one of the few good things ever to come out of the state of georgia.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Atlanta either, but I would gladly stop by the brewery. I bet their IPA is even better fresh. I had their Happy Ending, which is a dry-hopped imperial stout. I didn't like that one so much fresh, but once the hops mellowed a bit it was really quite good. I've still got one or two.

I should check out more Terrapin beers as well. I love the Wake 'n Bake.

Tried the French Broad's "13 Rebels ESB" tonight, damn fine beer.

Also bought a SARANAC 12 variety pack. Some really good beers in there. Thier Black Forest, Adirondack Lager, Brown Ale, and Black and Tan were all excellent.

I've enjoyed that 13 Rebels ESB since living in Asheville, and it's nice that you can find it around town. Haven't had any of the Saranac beers.

Tonight I had a Sweetwater IPA, a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (one of the best porters out there, in my opinion), and a Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. The latter of these three is one hell of a beer. Definitely a unique stout.

Never been a DFH guy, but mainly because IPAs arent my 1st choice and they are known for those i guess. But I had a buddy in town, who is starting to gain an interest in craft beer, so we watched Beer Wars again. Made me want to try some DFH. Support that guy..

Picked up four pack of Santo Palo...oh man, its damn fine. Reminds me of my favorite, Founder Bfast Stout even though its not a stout.

Strong Stuff...12%. You can feel the warmth as you drink it.

Also picked up a 6 of Indian Brown Ale....very nice too.

I like supporting these craft beer guys that make good stuff, and have to deal with the BS from AB

Never been a DFH guy, but mainly because IPAs arent my 1st choice and they are known for those i guess. But I had a buddy in town, who is starting to gain an interest in craft beer, so we watched Beer Wars again. Made me want to try some DFH. Support that guy..

Picked up four pack of Santo Palo...oh man, its damn fine. Reminds me of my favorite, Founder Bfast Stout even though its not a stout.

Strong Stuff...12%. You can feel the warmth as you drink it.

Also picked up a 6 of Indian Brown Ale....very nice too.

I like supporting these craft beer guys that make good stuff, and have to deal with the BS from AB

I am a huge fan of Dogfish Head and Sam Calagione, who you saw in Beer Wars. Their 90-minute double IPA never gets old. I know you said you aren't a huge fan of IPAs, but you should give that one a shot if you haven't; it's really pretty well balanced and has a nice maltiness to it.

I've heard really good things about Palo Santo Marron, but I've yet to pick it up. I'll have to do that next time I see it. I just keep hearing good things about it. I do like their Indian Brown Ale.

If you're a fan of stouts, check out their Chicory Stout. It's also very good.

:cheers2:

Tonight I had a couple of my favorites -- Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout and North Coast's Old Rasputin -- followed by a beer I've never had, Baltika #6 Porter.

The latter, to me, almost tasted like a doppelbock. In fact, if I were to taste it blind I might have assumed it to be such. Very sweet with notes of dark fruits, like raisins.

Stay away from DFH Pangaea. Holy hell... Its the first thing Ive poured out in a looooong time.

If you can find one try a Maharajah from Avery. I may have posted it in this tread before but too lazy to search.

I've never had Pangaea. It sounds like a pretty distinct beer, much like Dogfish's ancient ales and limited releases. I'll be trying Dogfish Head Theobroma later this week, which is "based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions."

You have mentioned Maharajah, but that doesn't mean you can't again. It really is a good beer. It's funny, I think the last time you mentioned it Vintner Wine Market in Charlotte had it on tap, and they just had it again there last week.

I have to say that I was impressed with the Sweetwater IPAs I had this weekend. I can see myself enjoying more than a few of those when football season comes around.

i bought a six of Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin yesterday. Its ok, but again, its a IPA type beer to me...probably wont buy it again.

Never tried a Barley Wine style...what are they like? Saw the DFH Theo whatever yesterday at common mkt.

Also, whats the DFH Midas Touch like? Its another ancient thing.

i bought a six of Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin yesterday. Its ok, but again, its a IPA type beer to me...probably wont buy it again.

Never tried a Barley Wine style...what are they like? Saw the DFH Theo whatever yesterday at common mkt.

Also, whats the DFH Midas Touch like? Its another ancient thing.

If you're not much of a fan of hops, you might not like American barleywines. Most are very hop heavy; on the other hand, they are very well-balanced. Often these beers are very similar to double IPAs. Basically, they're very strong ales with high bitterness but also a nice malt backbone to keep them balanced.

English barleywines, on the other hand, are nowhere near as hoppy as their American counterparts. These are more malty and have lots of "dark fruit" taste (think figs, prunes, raisins, etc.). I dig them both and encourage you to give them a shot, but just know what you're getting into.

I've got a Midas Touch in the fridge that I need to drink. It includes honey, saffron and Muscat grapes, so it's very different than anything else out there. I look forward to trying it. I hear it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of beer.

I don't think I've seen that one around, but considering North Coast makes my favorite beer in Old Rasputin, I am more than willing to give it a shot.

They have some up here at Total Wine in G'boro, I may just have to bring you some down if you can't find it down there. It's that good (in my opinion at least).

They have some up here at Total Wine in G'boro, I may just have to bring you some down if you can't find it down there. It's that good (in my opinion at least).

I'll check my local Total Wine. As I said, I love North Coast's Old Rasputin, and also their Old Stock and Brother Thelonious. They are a quality brewery.

Archived