• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My morning, part 2

NanceUSMC

That is such a great story Nance, I'm so glad for both of you.

Somehow I knew he'd want to open up to you, and I'm also really glad to hear the part about the local school.

The ambiguity of current conflicts seems to not nag the veterans of WWII.

HOWEVER, the sacrifices and courage of our men and women in uniform are no less these days than they were back then.

You guys share a bond that those of us that have never put on a uniform will never know.

The protected and the protectors.

All us protected can do is thank you guys for stepping up.

You probably feel that way about this gentleman.

I'll say this...visiting the WWII memorial and standing underneath the Wisconsin section, thinking of my grandfathers made me bawl like a baby for 15 minutes.

I miss them, and never really got to hear about their time over there.

Good on ya.

That's really cool man. One of my biggest regrets is not asking my grandpa more about the war before he died(I was only 13). He joined the Army so he could have a hot meal everyday...how things have changed. He was involved in the invasion of Normandy but I don't think he was in the first wave. My mom said they took a trip to Europe a while back and they were on some sort of tour of the French countryside when they approached a river that he remembered setting camp close by. That must have been surreal.

If you come up with a way to send this guy to Iwo Jima, make a post, I'll donate for sure.

My grandfather was reluctant to tell me war stories before he died. Partly because I was so young at the time and I guess because it was so traumatic for him.

He was a mechanic in the Royal Navy on an aircraft carrier that ran the northern convoy route to Russia (as part of the Lend-Lease deal the US had with Russia and Britain). From what I've read it was one of the most dangerous occupations of the war - he was sunk twice and received a whole box full of medals for his service.

It truly was an exceptional generation. They're heroes, each and every one.

Archived