• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My morning, part 2

NanceUSMC

I'm sure you guys remember about 3 weeks ago I posted about my morning going to the donut shop and running into a veteran of the battle of Iwo Jima.

Well, today I went back to the donut shop, and ran into him again. This time, I pulled up a chair. An hour and a half later, well, I've got more stories to share.

He started conversation off by showing me a letter he had just received from the former mayor of Dallas, Tom Leppert. He was as excited as a kid anticipating Christmas. The letter was an itenerary for a trip to Washington, D.C. for him and a few others in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. American Airlines is going to fly them to D.C., then bus them from the airport to several of the war memorials at the Capitol. Have a luncheon for them, then fly them home that night. To say he's excited about this (he has never seen the WWII memorial, and hasn't been to D.C. in 52 years).

As I talked with him this time, he told me more of his time on Iwo Jima. I asked him if this was his first combat. He said it was his first, and only combat. He landed on Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945 in the third wave of the invasion force, on Green Beach, Sector 1. He described the anticipation while in the landing craft. He described the .50 cal gunner taking a bullet in the helmet (the gunner lived, but the bullet creased his helmet). He told me about the Japanese shooting at the boats as they brought the Marines to the beach. The his of the shells passing, the splash of water from explosions, the shrapnel popping the boats. He described coming under fire as they rushed the beach, and the ashy black volcanic sand they had to run in to find cover. I asked him if he saw the raising of the "Iwo Jima Flag" on Mt Surabachi. "Of course!", he let me know, "that was my unit." He told me of conversations he had with several of the Marines in that photo, and what they were like as individuals. He told me of an incident that haunts him still, where his captain had instructed him to be on the lookout for snipers. He scanned the horizon with binoculars for a while, without seeing anything, then sat the binoculars down. The man next to him asked if he could take a look. And as he started scan, a sniper's bullet struck him in the head. He said he felt responsible for that man's death.

Then he told me "I've got something you'll like to see", and he scurried out to his car. He came back with a handful of WWII photos of himself and his unit. He had photos of his unit after having just raised the Iwo Jima Flag. He had photos of himself carrying his flame thrower (yes, he carried a flame thrower!). He had combat photos of his company on the beach. Simply amazing! He said that more than anything he wants to go back to Iwo, to see it again now.

I asked him if he had seen any of the movies about the war, like The Pacific. "Oh, I want to see that!", he said with a big smile. "Can you believe they want $60 for that?!?" I asked him if he thought it would be too 'real' for him, thinking he may not want to relive it to that extent. "Pshhh", he said, "I'm gonna bring you the real thing. I've got it on tape." He's talking about home movie footage that was taken (not necessarily by him) during the battle, that hasn't been published. I'm going to transfer it to DVD for him, and keep a copy for myself (with his blessing of course).

I told him "you do realize that to moderm Marines, you are a movie star, don't you?" His response was absolutely classic. "Bah, they told us the same stuff about the guys in WWI!"

I made it a point to relay the thoughts, wishes and thanks of everyone who commented when I posted a few weeks ago.

So, we agreed to meet again next weekend, when he's going to bring his footage and photos, and I'm taking my laptop. He's going to show me his photos on disk, and let me borrow his footage. What he doesn't know, is he's also going to be getting his very own copy of The Pacific from me.

old people telling war stories kicks ass. before my grandpa died he told me he sneaked up on a german tank in Italy and threw a grenade down the hatch, killing both german tank operators.

he also told me saw a 18 year old american get his head blown clear off by a german sniper.

that's awesome Nance! Thanks so much for sharing. Guy should write a book!

so, just because I'm totally curious, what would it cost to send this guy to Iwo to see it again? Is there any sort of charity thing that would help?

that's awesome Nance! Thanks so much for sharing. Guy should write a book!

so, just because I'm totally curious, what would it cost to send this guy to Iwo to see it again? Is there any sort of charity thing that would help?

They do have tours that go back to Iwo Jima, judging from some searches I did this morning... I've been thinking the same thing you're thinking, bud... Looks like it would cost anywhere between $3500 and $7000 to get him back out there... I've been thinking about what charities or groups would like to get in on something like that... From the research I've done so far, there appears to be only one authorized charter that flies to the island... Am thinking it could probably be done for right at $4000, but saw other companies that use their charter service as part of their tours... Dealing directly with them, though, appeared to be the cheapest route...

old people telling war stories kicks ass. before my grandpa died he told me he sneaked up on a german tank in Italy and threw a grenade down the hatch, killing both german tank operators.

he also told me saw a 18 year old american get his head blown clear off by a german sniper.

I agree, hearing these old stories is simply amazing... Nothing quite like it... No movie can capture it...

Ah, Nance. You made me cry.

Here's a link to the Triangle Honor Flight in case anyone wants to donate. http://triangleflightofhonor.com/

Another link. http://www.honorflight.org/

I have pics and video curtesy of Chewy the Biker Dog of the last THF. I think Chris has decided to join the Patriot Guard Riders in honor of his dad.

The Patriot Guard rocks! Those guys are awesome!

I don't even know this guy and damn I'd get a kick out of helping him to get back there.

I'm thinking of bouncing the idea off of all 4 of the local pro sports teams and seeing if they would be willing to help, and if that doesn't work I'm thinking of going to the local news stations to see if it would be possible... If that doesn't work, I'm seriously considering taking out a loan... But if I take out a loan, I'm getting enough that I can go too! heh

Very Cool .....even before I got through the whole story and I got to the part of him saying "Can you believe they want $60 for that?!?" I immediately thought "I bet Nance picked it up for him on the way home."

Good stuff Nance, keep the updates and stories coming as you get them. I didn't serve but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it all means.

Archived