• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have the least cap space?

mr beauxjangles

steve reed just posted a new article sayin that the 1.9 million was after all of the moves that was made today. im hoping hes wrong. but if not guess u guys are right that are saying we want be doin nething untill after pep is gone

Yes the 1.9 is after all the moves made so far and the cap increase. The increase moved the Panthers from roughly 2 million over to roughly 2 million under.

Your off on that one, Goings, Hackett, and Bridges saved us 4.5 million in cap this season.

Should be 4.5 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1.5 = 17 million

At the start of the Offseason we were at 108 million spent, with 123 being the cap number.

The cap number is now 127. So we had 19 Million to begin with, counting the Cap increase. So 19 million + 17 Million = 36 Million

Peppers, Gross, King, Anderson, = 17 + 10.5 + 1.5 + 1.0 = 29.5

Which is how I got my Number in the other Thread, of around 7 million in cap space.

I believe How Schefter got his number is from this. Take the three restructures off, equaled to around 4.54 million, take that off of our books, you get us down to 2.4 million and give or take on gross's contract and you have the discrepancy of .5 million, between that number and mine.

I could also be total wrong as well as a few sites, I'm not an expert.

But his post on his blog was around 1:30 - 2:00 and he had to have been calling teams for a while, so it's logical that he didn't include some cut's/ restructures in his numbers because of him having to call everyone to get those numbers.

Those were the numbers I got from an online sourse on Goings, Hackett and Bridges. So I'm not sure if they are right or not. I do remember hearing those moves saved around 4.5 so you are probably right.

As for the rest of your post. I remember hearing that the cap space before the Gross and Pepper contracts/tag was around 9.6 million. You are saying 14 million. Not sure which of those is correct and that difference would also make up the difference in what you are saying and what Schafter is saying.

Something tells me that 1.9 million is what we have right now with everything being counted. If it's more thats great but even if it is around 5 million total that doesn't really change anything as Hurney seems to always want to go into the draft with around 5 million. I doubt we see any FA movement at all until Lucas and/or Peppers is moved.

Those were the numbers I got from an online sourse on Goings, Hackett and Bridges. So I'm not sure if they are right or not. I do remember hearing those moves saved around 4.5 so you are probably right.

As for the rest of your post. I remember hearing that the cap space before the Gross and Pepper contracts/tag was around 9.6 million. You are saying 14 million. Not sure which of those is correct and that difference would also make up the difference in what you are saying and what Schafter is saying.

Something tells me that 1.9 million is what we have right now with everything being counted. If it's more thats great but even if it is around 5 million total that doesn't really change anything as Hurney seems to always want to go into the draft with around 5 million. I doubt we see any FA movement at all until Lucas and/or Peppers is moved.

Bridges number is higher because of a 1 million roster bonus he would've got.

steve reed just posted a new article sayin that the 1.9 million was after all of the moves that was made today. im hoping hes wrong. but if not guess u guys are right that are saying we want be doin nething untill after pep is gone

It doesn't matter how much money we have or don't, fact is we won't be big players in FA to begin with. we have two holes on the Dline, On hole in the secondary, one hole at wr, two maybe three holes on OL. one hole at Rb. Fill two maybe 3 of those up in FA after peppers is gone and get the rest in the draft.

Yes the 1.9 is after all the moves made so far and the cap increase. The increase moved the Panthers from roughly 2 million over to roughly 2 million under.

he also said that was a best guess and after that the article reads reverse from bottom to top, that we tendered Salley for 1 million, so if it's right that leaves us with .8 million in cap.

he also said that was a best guess and after that the article reads reverse from bottom to top, that we tendered Salley for 1 million, so if it's right that leaves us with .8 million in cap.

Didn't read his article, 1.9 is what the NFL network is reporting after the cap increase.

! million either way doesn't really matter, if they don't do something about Peppers there's no way I see freeing up enough money to do much of anything in FA.

Also in note, that even if they trade lucas the team would still be short on money needed to sign rookies. If we don't get rid of peppers. <----biggest reason I think the .8 number is wrong, Hurney has said before that they always leave around 6 million for rookies.

I just started a thread asking the question if the cap number shows that trading Peppers early on is a priority. I think it is and the cap situation is the reason why.

I would also point out though that the 5-6 million for rookies usually is taking into account a large 1st round draft pick's contract. Without a 1st round pick that 5-6 million would decrease by a couple of million but you are still correct the .8 to 1.9 is not nearly enough even with them cutting/trading Lucas.

Archived