• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Skinner: Triangle Sports Person of the Year

CarolinaPanthers8789

Jeff Skinner can add another piece of hardware to his collection.

Skinner was named the Triangle’s Sports Person of the Year by the Greater Raleigh Sports Council on Thursday at the organization’s annual Evening of Champions event. The award caps off yet more recognition of his outstanding season as an 18-year-old rookie in 2010-11.

Skinner’s award collection from his first season in the National Hockey League includes, most notably, the Calder Trophy; the NHL named Skinner its rookie of the year after he led rookies in scoring with 63 points, ranked second in assists (32) and third in goals (31). He was also voted by his peers as the Sporting News Rookie of the Year.

Among his on-ice accomplishments last season was becoming the youngest All-Star in NHL history. At age 18 and 259 days, Skinner skated with Team Staal in front of the hometown crowd at the RBC Center, breaking a record previously set by Steve Yzerman (18 years and 267 days).

“It was a crazy year,” Skinner said at the ceremony. “Looking back on it, you’re able to take in everything a lot more clearly than going through it. I have a lot of people to thank.”

Though he was sidelined with a concussion for just over a month, Skinner, now 19 years of age, has continued to perform well on the ice. Through 41 games this season, he has 30 points (15g, 15a), which ranks tied for second on the team in scoring.

Originally from Markham, Ontario, Skinner was grateful for the Hurricanes organization and his family for allowing him the opportunity to play hockey at the professional level and ultimately achieve this honor.

“My family has been huge my whole life, and especially this past year giving me all the support they can,” he said at the ceremony. “I come from a big family, and it’s important to me that they’re there.”

Good for Jeff!!!

Archived