• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Race For First... Well Last

Murphy will be ready next year, so they could sign a guy like Streit as a two year stop gap and roll with...

Gleason - Faulk

Streit - Pitkanen

Harrison - Murphy

Corvo

Lol that doesn't really get my hopes up...

I like Murphy and Faulk. Streit would be ok and Harrison plays well. The others I just want some big physical guys that will hit and intimidate the other team...

Lol that doesn't really get my hopes up...

I like Murphy and Faulk. Streit would be ok and Harrison plays well. The others I just want some big physical guys that will hit and intimidate the other team...

I was checking out the crop of free agent defenseman and it's not to good this year. Streit seems like the most reasonable player because it was thought that the Canes had interest in him earlier in the season.

Pitkanen is a top 15 defenseman if healthy (big if), my hope is that he starts to play smarter and not put himself in vulnerable places to get injured.

Gleason is on the decline but is still a solid defenseman, he is better suited as a second pairing but I think he can handle the duties on the first pair for at least another year.

Faulk and Murphy are obviously the future and I expect both to have huge seasons next year, especially Faulk.

Harrison is an ideal bottom six guy and is one of the more reliable bottom six guys in the leauge, him and Murphy had very good chemistry during Murph's brief stint in Ralegih.

As far as Streit goes, once again he is one of the best/most reasonable/and affordable options in the free agent market this year.

Update Standings

1. Florida Panthers, 32 points

2. Colorado Avalanche, 37 points

3. Tampa Bay Lightning, 38 points

4. Nashville Predators, 39 points

5. Carolina Hurricanes, 39 points

We can't even tank for the best pick the right way...we really need one of those top 3 picks. It would be nice if a NC team could finally win the lottery since the Bobcats keep getting shafted. Seth Jones could play in the NHL tomorrow in my opinion. Wouldn't hate Mckinnon or Drouin, but both of them are likely a year or two away from being ready for the NHL.

I think Drouin and MacKinnon will make the jump this year, they are both talented enough to; remember Skinner was a 7th overall pick and made the jump right away.

One of my buddies brought this up though, if the Canes don't land a top five pick and don't get the opportuinty to take Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov; they need to call New York and offer our first, third, and McBain for Marc Staal.

I think Drouin and MacKinnon will make the jump this year, they are both talented enough to; remember Skinner was a 7th overall pick and made the jump right away.

One of my buddies brought this up though, if the Canes don't land a top five pick and don't get the opportuinty to take Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov; they need to call New York and offer our first, third, and McBain for Marc Staal.

I would typically agree, but our cupboards are quite bare in the way of high level prospects right now. We need to stop trading 1sts and start building our system up. Otherwise we will struggle to compete at some point when our players start declining. Outside of Rask and Murphy right now, who do we have that any of you are confident will become a good player in the NHL? I mean we have a few guys that might eventually be decent 3rd-4th liners, but thats it outside of Rask and Murphy.

Edit: Saw this website. Lists and rates all of our prospects. http://www.hockeysfu...ina_hurricanes/

According to that site we also have the 25th best prospects in the NHL.

Are prospects are not good, but I think we could get away with a first, third, McBain, and possibly Dalpe for Marc. The Canes need to get a player that can join the team right away, whether that be Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, or Staal (via trade)

By the way, I expect Murphy, Rask, and possibly Bellemore to make the full time jump next year. I could also see Dalpe making it as well, assuming he doesn't get traded.

Archived