• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBA Playoffs Rd 1: (2) San Antonio Spurs vs. (7) Los Angeles Lakers

King Taharqa

NBA Playoffs  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• San Antonio Spurs
    • Los Angeles Lakers

LA aint amnestying Kobe. Laker fans would riot, it'd be Rodney King all over out there. Kupchek and Jimmy boy aint got the balls to do that.

Most likely not.

But you just heard the 80 million luxury tax number they're looking at .

Kobe is not going to be ready to play by October. If they amnesty him they pay him 30 million to rehab a year. Then he decides where to play, LA or otherwise.

Pau is going to be traded, D12, either he signs early no BS or he's gone and the Lakers have his cap number.

Either way inside a year the Laker roster will be completely different.

I have full confidence that Kobe will be ready to start the season. I don't know why some of these Laker fans are panicking tbh. We were like 27-12 to end the season and that was with half the roster not healthy. I'm not saying that if we go into next season with the same roster, but healthy that we are winning it all (obviously some big changes will be needed). What I am saying is that we aren't going to be far off from it assuming we are able to make a few key moves.

Fair point. I do think that if LeBron stays in Miami he could establish a legacy for himself there like Jordan did in Chicago. If all goes well they could end up winning a number of championships under the big three if all goes well. This year they should land their second, and they will be favorites in 2014 as well and beyond unless something changes the landscape. So I do agree with you that LeBron can establish his legacy with Miami; but at the same time, if by 2014 he has won three rings, then he might decide to go and join another team.

There's a chance he might want to go back to Cleveland to bring a championship to them. I mean, by 2014 he'll have at least one ring if not three. So he might go back to form a dynamic duo with Kyrie Iriving, or form part of a big three if Cleveland land another superstar talent either in the draft or free agency. It might be a fitting way to end his career if he brought home at least one championship to Cleveland.

I do feel that the Lakers might appeal to him because he could make a lot of money. If the guy already has up to 3 rings by the end of the 2014 season, then he might decide to go for money. Kobe is set to earn $30 million from the Lakers excluding endorsements and his brand. If Kobe retired/was amnestied, then signing LeBron in 2014 would fill a huge void for the Lakers, and in turn that could potentially be LeBron's best (last?) chance to sign a monster deal from a team that will be desperate to sign a player of his calibre. Also, factor in joining one of the biggest markets and that would help boost LeBron's brand and endorsements. He might never end up on their top five players of all time list, but he could certainly earn himself a lot of money by joining them.

However, I do agree with you that the Lakers should target some young star players like Jennings, Iriving or Wall if they are available at the right price. With a star PG and the best center in the league they could form a very solid base to build their next great team. But I still think that they will pursue LeBron if he opts out, and if he does, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go for the most money.

I am trying to understand why you think LBJ would go back while Dan Gilbert is the owner.... I thought they left on nasty terms

I am trying to understand why you think LBJ would go back while Dan Gilbert is the owner.... I thought they left on nasty terms

I don't think their owner is stupid, he's a businessman and while fans view it as 'their team', it is in fact 'his business'. If he can make more money from having LeBron on the roster, than without him; then it is plausible that he will try to make LeBron's return happen. When he left their revenue fell, and so did their attendance. The Cavs with Lebron had the second best home attendance, but since he left they have fallen down to 22nd in home attendance, and around 180,000 less people attended games this season than in LeBron's last, which is an improvement on the 2012 season when almost 300,000 less fans attended than LeBron's last season.

So yes, they left on nasty terms and their owner and fans became bitter towards LeBron. But the guy is the best player in the NBA right now. He is one of the most marketable players. If they managed to persuade LeBron to comeback, from a business point of view he would potentially revitalize the Cavs attendance and revenue. And from a basketball point of view pairing him with Kyrie Irving, any other star talent, could help them return to being a force in the East, and give them a good chance of winning an NBA title. In essence, it is potentially in their owner's best interest to bring him back if there is a chance to.

As for LeBron, he still lives in the area in off season. He has not ruled out a return in the past. He might have left because he wanted to win an NBA championship and felt there was a better chance to do that in Miami; but now that he has his ring, he might be tempted to go and back and deliver a championship to the Cavs. It could be a very fitting way to end his career as an Ohio native to bring their first NBA championship to that team. The thought of a return may never cross his mind, he might pursue the most money in his next contract, but it is possible that LeBron might go back to the Cavs to end his career there.

Archived