• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricanes/Checkers Re-Sign Matt Marquardt

Link: http://www.gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1567

“I was told that they liked my style, size and physical play and I talked to (Carolina Hurricanes Vice President of Hockey Operations) Ron Francis about it at the end of the season, but I was still surprised that the ball got rolling so quickly,” said Marquart, who checks in at 6-foot-3 and 229 pounds. “It’s flattering, and you don’t want to prove them wrong or make them regret it.”

“I’m harder on myself than anyone else could ever be,” said Marquardt, who scored at least 40 goals in each of his last two seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. “There was a time when I was getting four or five chances a game but just couldn't score, and then the coaches took me in and told me not to get upset. They said they brought me in to play hard and be physical and any scoring would be a bonus.”

Knowing that he’s returning to Charlotte so early in the offseason is a welcome change for Marquardt, who has played for eight different teams since turning pro in 2008. He knew he’d have a chance to return to Florida after helping the Everblades win the Kelly Cup in 2012 but was hoping for an opportunity with an AHL club – one that exactly zero players on that championship team received due to the NHL’s lockout eliminating those job openings.

Marquardt will now spend the rest of the summer training and hoping for a invite to Carolina’s training camp, which could be a possibility depending on its size and the makeup of the organizational roster at that time. He’ll continue to take things one step at a time, as he did for every day of his tryout last season, but the NHL remains his ultimate goal.

In 31 games with Checkers (including the AHL playoffs), Marquardt recorded 6 goals, 4 assists, and 10 points while maintaining a plus six rating.

8474690927_685edc6440_m.jpg

Welcome Back Matt!!!

Archived