• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Johnny Rockets

And are we gonna have Byron Bell and a 6th rounder protecting Cam? OT gotta be first rounder

That is a real possibility and maybe probability but the names at WR are interchangeable with the depth in the draft at WR. Even in that scenario in the slot Smith is dangerous. upgrading the Oline upgrades the whole offense.all will benefit from that. 

At this stage of his career Smitty is at best a #2 WR/slot guy. He should not be our #1. We saw his production dip last year and I don't see that taking an upward spike next season.

While I wished Gettleman should've chosen his words better, I agree that Smitty should be "evaluated".

I'd be pissed if he was cut but he definitely will have to adjust that contract. For the sake of everyone, I hope he does.

At this stage of his career Smitty is at best a #2 WR/slot guy. He should not be our #1. We saw his production dip last year and I don't see that taking an upward spike next season.

While I wished Gettleman should've chosen his words better, I agree that Smitty should be "evaluated".

I'd be pissed if he was cut but he definitely will have to adjust that contract. For the sake of everyone, I hope he does.

so explain this "dip" to me. Not that stats didn't go down but a dip is ebb and flow in a career. dip in the negative sense would be obvious on field deterioration of skills.The only questionable issue is 1) speed which is still debateable and 2) Durability, which is more my concern about him. catching skill still there,Blocking still at a high level.Quickness on short routes still outstanding. I don't see a "dip" in those terms. Many factors conttribute to lesser stats year to year. Not seeing this as a "dip" to be too concerned with.

I see an upward spike very probable in the slot.

Now as far as being cut again the facts say no way. We do not gain anything by cutting Steve Smith.

i think we all see the slot is his future , I just see it as a improvement on his future and the teams future. But just watch. I will not gloat I will just enjoy his last few years.steve Smith will go out in Steve Smith style and as has been his MO at a higher level than most expected from him.

so explain this "dip" to me. Not that stats didn't go down but a dip is ebb and flow in a career. dip in the negative sense would be obvious on field deterioration of skills.The only questionable issue is 1) speed which is still debateable and 2) Durability, which is more my concern about him. catching skill still there,Blocking still at a high level.Quickness on short routes still outstanding. I don't see a "dip" in those terms. Many factors conttribute to lesser stats year to year. Not seeing this as a "dip" to be too concerned with.

I see an upward spike very probable in the slot.

Now as far as being cut again the facts say no way. We do not gain anything by cutting Steve Smith.

i think we all see the slot is his future , I just see it as a improvement on his future and the teams future. But just watch. I will not gloat I will just enjoy his last few years.steve Smith will go out in Steve Smith style and as has been his MO at a higher level than most expected from him.

He did not have the same explosiveness as he did last year. He is not as fast either and well durability is always an issue with age.

I don't see any reason, he'll get that elite explosiveness and top end speed he used to have, especially when you consider the natural deterioration of the human body. 

Not saying he's not a good receiver anymore, he is but as I said, he rarely got separation deep last year and started running much shorter routes as a result.

I didn't mean cut this year but next season, assuming he still ants to play.

He did not have the same explosiveness as he did last year. He is not as fast either and well durability is always an issue with age.

I don't see any reason, he'll get that elite explosiveness and top end speed he used to have.

Not saying he's not a good receiver anymore, he is but as I said, he rarely got separation deep last year and started runnign much shorter routes as a result.

I guess I was watching a different Steve Smith who still could outquick the DB's before and after the catch. he needs to run shorter routes his quickness still remains and if you watch plays from last season it is obvious he has not lost that quickness enough to show. He is built for the slot  and really should have moved there years ago but we didn't have the support on the outside.=you don't think so now but watch, just watch.He is still awesome , not just good.

I guess I was watching a different Steve Smith who still could outquick the DB's before and after the catch. he needs to run shorter routes his quickness still remains and if you watch plays from last season it is obvious he has not lost that quickness enough to show. He is built for the slot and really should have moved there years ago but we didn't have the support on the outside.=you don't think so now but watch, just watch.He is still awesome , not just good.

Yeah, we were definitely watching a different Smitty. Dont have the exact numbers atm, but I remember his yac and actual catches over 20 yards were down.

Remember times when Olsen was virtually our #1? Part of that was because our WR had problems getting open a lot.

There was awkwardness on the edge of the Jordan Gross retirement press conference last week, reminiscent of a middle-school dance.
While Gross, the former Panthers left tackle (seems weird typing that), drew laughter and tears with his remarks and slideshow, general manager Dave Gettleman sat in the first row and wideout Steve Smith hung in the back.
After Gross wrapped up and Ryan Kalil hit the final note in “Happy Trails,” Smith spoke briefly to owner Jerry Richardson before greeting Gross, his teammate for 13 years in college and the NFL. Gettleman ducked out without speaking to Smith.
The two were right to avoid each other Wednesday, which was a day to celebrate Gross.
But at some point, Gettleman and Smith will talk – perhaps this week – and wouldn’t you want to be a fly on the wall when they do?
It’s been a strange two weeks for the best player in Panthers history and the GM who’s not interested in maintaining the status quo.
Smith’s future has been muddled since Gettleman responded to a question at the scouting combine about Smith thus: “Steve’s had a great career. He really has. None of us are here forever. He’s part of the evaluation process.”
Some critics and many of Smith’s fans argued Gettleman owed it to Smith to inform him of the team’s plans. Understandable.
But the Panthers are still working through different roster scenarios, not all of which involve Smith. Telling Smith he might not be back next season would be akin to telling your girlfriend you’re thinking of breaking up with her.
Because of the Panthers’ salary cap situation when he was hired, Gettleman was forced to be the new sheriff instead of, say, Uncle Dave. Players – especially established ones – tend not to like being strongly encouraged to take a pay cut.
While Smith was not among those asked to restructure their contracts, he is said to have a level of distrust of Gettleman – and that was before his comments in Indianapolis.
Smith has always had a big personality, one former GM Marty Hurney did his best to manage. Gettleman seems more interested in winning games than winning the favor of players.
During his opening remarks last week, Gross said to Gettleman: “I didn’t like you very much last offseason, but I got over that.”
From their inception, the Panthers have prided themselves on being loyal to what Hurney called “the core.” That they’re still digging out from under some of those contracts is evidence they were loyal to a fault at times.
Gettleman was brought in to clean up the cap mess and build a consistent winner. It’s hard to argue with the results from his first season.
Gettleman, who remains a scout at heart, has had a year to evaluate Smith, who turns 35 in May. It’s clear Gettleman believes Smith is no longer a No. 1 receiver.
As he showed with his touchdown catch against San Francisco, Smith can still impact a game. He’ll play this fall, whether it’s in Charlotte or elsewhere.
As he looks for Smith’s successor in the draft or free agency, Gettleman has to weigh whether it’s worth keeping Smith around to work with the new No. 1 wideout.
Will Smith demand the ball from Cam Newton? Will he mentor a rookie drafted to replace him? Will he play nice?
Smith undoubtedly has questions of his own, starting with: What’s going on and why didn’t you talk to me first?
All this will get hashed out when Smith and Gettleman meet. If so, Smith can finish his career in Charlotte and have the storybook send-off Gross enjoyed last week.
Or it won’t. And Smith, like John Kasay, will play a season or two with Tampa Bay or San Diego and later sign a one-day contract to retire as a Panther.
Whenever that day comes, Smith belongs in the team’s Hall of Honor.
The trickier question for Gettleman is whether Smith belongs on the team now.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/01/4732950/big-questions-await-panthers-smith.html

Honestly I don't understand any of this. Smitty is still a top 10 WR, and hands down the best WR on the team. Why is his future here even being discussed? You mean to tell me Smitty might be gone, but Bryon fuging Bell has a job?

Furthermore, you don't do this to people like Smitty. If you want to release Charles Godfrey or Brandon Lafell then go ahead. Steve Smith IS the Carolina Panthers, and will be remembered for as long as most of us are alive. fug your business. Treat this man with the respect that he has earned and deserves.

This post lives up to your name, sir. Bravo!!

There was awkwardness on the edge of the Jordan Gross retirement press conference last week, reminiscent of a middle-school dance.

While Gross, the former Panthers left tackle (seems weird typing that), drew laughter and tears with his remarks and slideshow, general manager Dave Gettleman sat in the first row and wideout Steve Smith hung in the back.

After Gross wrapped up and Ryan Kalil hit the final note in “Happy Trails,” Smith spoke briefly to owner Jerry Richardson before greeting Gross, his teammate for 13 years in college and the NFL. Gettleman ducked out without speaking to Smith.

The two were right to avoid each other Wednesday, which was a day to celebrate Gross.

But at some point, Gettleman and Smith will talk – perhaps this week – and wouldn’t you want to be a fly on the wall when they do?

It’s been a strange two weeks for the best player in Panthers history and the GM who’s not interested in maintaining the status quo.

Smith’s future has been muddled since Gettleman responded to a question at the scouting combine about Smith thus: “Steve’s had a great career. He really has. None of us are here forever. He’s part of the evaluation process.”

Some critics and many of Smith’s fans argued Gettleman owed it to Smith to inform him of the team’s plans. Understandable.

But the Panthers are still working through different roster scenarios, not all of which involve Smith. Telling Smith he might not be back next season would be akin to telling your girlfriend you’re thinking of breaking up with her.

Because of the Panthers’ salary cap situation when he was hired, Gettleman was forced to be the new sheriff instead of, say, Uncle Dave. Players – especially established ones – tend not to like being strongly encouraged to take a pay cut.

While Smith was not among those asked to restructure their contracts, he is said to have a level of distrust of Gettleman – and that was before his comments in Indianapolis.

Smith has always had a big personality, one former GM Marty Hurney did his best to manage. Gettleman seems more interested in winning games than winning the favor of players.

During his opening remarks last week, Gross said to Gettleman: “I didn’t like you very much last offseason, but I got over that.”

From their inception, the Panthers have prided themselves on being loyal to what Hurney called “the core.” That they’re still digging out from under some of those contracts is evidence they were loyal to a fault at times.

Gettleman was brought in to clean up the cap mess and build a consistent winner. It’s hard to argue with the results from his first season.

Gettleman, who remains a scout at heart, has had a year to evaluate Smith, who turns 35 in May. It’s clear Gettleman believes Smith is no longer a No. 1 receiver.

As he showed with his touchdown catch against San Francisco, Smith can still impact a game. He’ll play this fall, whether it’s in Charlotte or elsewhere.

As he looks for Smith’s successor in the draft or free agency, Gettleman has to weigh whether it’s worth keeping Smith around to work with the new No. 1 wideout.

Will Smith demand the ball from Cam Newton? Will he mentor a rookie drafted to replace him? Will he play nice?

Smith undoubtedly has questions of his own, starting with: What’s going on and why didn’t you talk to me first?

All this will get hashed out when Smith and Gettleman meet. If so, Smith can finish his career in Charlotte and have the storybook send-off Gross enjoyed last week.

Or it won’t. And Smith, like John Kasay, will play a season or two with Tampa Bay or San Diego and later sign a one-day contract to retire as a Panther.

Whenever that day comes, Smith belongs in the team’s Hall of Honor.

The trickier question for Gettleman is whether Smith belongs on the team now.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/01/4732950/big-questions-await-panthers-smith.html

drama much?

You think about where you've been and who you've been there with.

"It's people you've had drag-outs with, it's people you've had great memories with, it's people that you've done unbelievable things with and been unbelievable places with," says Smith. "It was a great day for Jordan, but it's always sad to see a friend go."

The ceremony was emotional, funny and warm.

"Let me tell you," says Smith. "If you're a guy and you think about your legacy you would say, 'Man, I hope it is as good as that for me.' I don't care what profession you have."

When's your ceremony?

Smith doesn't answer.

After two more seasons?

"I don't know," he says.

Three?

"I don't know," he says.

Are you ready to go now?

"Today?" Smith asks. "No, I'm not ready to not play today."

Can you see yourself finishing your career with a team other than the Panthers?

"I'm not even going to think that far ahead," he says.

What do you think about?

"Man," says Smith, "I'm trying to get through this third trimester with my wife."

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/01/4857111/tom-sorensen-carolina-panthers.html

Archived