Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Panther

Obama could be impeached!

256 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/mcchrystal-on-bergdahl---we-don-t-leave-americans-behind--that-s-unequivocal-193638795.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/03/bowe-bergdahl-release_n_5439644.html

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/06/ex-bush-administration-official-george

Former Bush administration official, John Bellinger made a great case for supporting President Obama's decision to swap five Taliban prisoners for the lone U.S. POW. In a refreshing interview, he told Fox News' Happening Now, that since the war was winding down and they couldn't have tried the Afghanistan prisoners in US courts, their only option was to free them eventually so making the trade made sense and and that George Bush would have made the same decision.

“I’m not saying this is clearly an easy choice but frankly I think a Republican, a president of either party, Republican or Democratic, confronted with this opportunity to get back Sgt. Bergdahl, who is apparently in failing health, would have taken this opportunity to do this,” he added. “I think we would have made the same decision in the Bush administration.”

oh yeah there's a big picture here, we got something instead of nothing out of the deal.

wow that took like 30 seconds, great work

Still blaming bush.

You're right, he had absolutely nothing to do with starting a war in Afghanistan or Iraq... my bad.

Reagan and Bush should have been impeached. Obama is no different. I tired of the letting things slip by, when will the Senate/House grow balls regardless who is President. Red, yellow, black, white, republican, democrat; put ideology and pride a side and think of the country and it's citizens.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Still blaming bush.

I still blame Thomas Jefferson. 

Anyone here remember Iran-Contra?

Arms for hostages?

Oliver North?

Don't remember the impeachment hearings there.....

WMD?

Saddam Hussein was at the heart of 9/11?

I guess lies coming from rich white guys are a lot more tolerable than anything a black man does, eh?

Why did Clinton first say Saddam have WMD as far back as 1998?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I'm thinking you meant 1988 instead of 1998? I was there in 87-88 and Hussein still had a lot of the materials and technology both the US and the UK had sold him. That and the fact Hussein used chemical weapons on Kurds in his own country in the 80's, but the US didn't first know about it until 1986. When I deployed to the Gulf in 87, our chem weapons training was over the top- it went on daily for weeks. The US was scared shitless of his WMD, rightfully so since we had given him all the stuff back in the day.

The entire discourse surrounding the Obama administration’s prisoner swap with the Taliban should be incredibly disheartening to anyone who cares about civil liberties and human rights. Republicans are talking about impeaching Obama for purportedly circumventing the law in releasing the Gitmo detainees. A common cry is that it’s an Nixonian “abuse of power” on the part of the Obama administration’s “imperial presidency.” What is so strange about this is that Obama isn’t being accused of acting like a dictator for doing what a dictator typically would do, in fact it’s just the opposite. If anything, releasing men who were held without charge from an offshore, military-run, concentration camp known for its torture and abuse of inmates is a slow step away from tyranny.

Barack Obama, much like most previous US presidents, has undoubtedly committed numerous abuses of power such as war crimes, infringements on civil liberties and violations of human rights. Specifically, there is the drone program’s killing of thousands of Yemenis and Pakistanis without due process, the signing of the NDAA with its provisions legalizing the indefinite detention of US citizens, the NSA’s global surveillance operations, the FBI’s seemingly constantharassment of Muslim-Americans and Palestinian solidarity activists, the unprecedented mass detentions and deportations of immigrants (and of US citizens by “mistake”) and–of course–themaintenance of the notorious Guantanamo Bay concentration camp despite its notoriety and explicit promises from Obama to close it. Since most of these atrocities are done in the name of national security and counter-terrorism, they enjoy widespread bipartisan approval despite violating numerous values Americans pride themselves on supposedly holding dear. Very few, if any, voices have suggested impeaching Obama over any of the above. The drone program may have been mentioned a couple of times, but only in relation to the authority to assassinate US citizens.

So now we are faced with a media frenzy surrounding Obama’s latest alleged “crime”: releasing five detainees from Gitmo in exchange for a US soldier. More than 2,000 US soldiers have died from Obama’s escalated war in Afghanistan. The number of Afghan civilians killed directly and indirectly from US military operations likely dwarfs this. There are no calls for impeachment over this of course. The real atrocity is bringing back one US soldier alive and freeing five men from a torture chamber. There are no words to adequately describe how absurd the focus of our national conversation is these days. That’s what happens when an entire society becomes a willing captive of the cult of national security.

http://ceinquiry.wordpress.com/

Hailey, Idaho, the hometown of freed U.S. soldier Bowe Bergdahl, the joy at his release has turned for some into shock and fear — the fear of picking up the phone.

That's because some town officials have been deluged with angry calls from people who think that Bergdahl is an Army deserter or traitor who doesn't deserve a hero's welcome.

Jane Drussel, the president of the Hailey Chamber of Commerce, has been fielding dozens of angry calls.

"Well, (I feel) disappointment number one, just absolutely total surprise at how bad some of them are," she told NBC News on Tuesday.

When the news that Bergdahl had been freed from five years of captivity in Afghanistan in exchange for five Taliban commanders broke on Saturday, most reactions were happy, but the nebulous details of how he wound up in enemy hands in 2009 has caused some — both civilians and military — to turn against him and his family.

"(We're) really surprised at the people who are calling — they are hate calls, they’re not just people voicing an opinion," she said. "The girls just don’t even... we’re all just absolutely in shock, we don’t know how to respond to that to tell you quite truthfully."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bowe-bergdahl-released/officials-bergdahls-hometown-stop-hate-n121761