Photo
- - - - -

The USA TODAY Coaches' Top 25 college football coaches' poll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#16 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

USC getting 1 first place vote and Notre Dame even being in the top 50 is a little disturbing to me......

whadda you care...if they lose, they'll be out just as quick. it's not like anyone from 23-25 in the preseason poll is gonna climb to #2 by the end of the season and have a shot at the title. gimme a break already.

#17 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

The only thing I don't like about this poll is having Notre Dame at 23. Everybody else you can make a pretty strong argument for where they are positioned.

Really? Boise State #16? They played 1 ranked team during the regular season and lost their bowl to the only other ranked team they played? #16? Really?

#18 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

Notre Dame will stick around in the top 25 barring some typical Charlie Weis type collapse just based on their schedule alone.

#19 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Never know....Michigan in the Big House could easily be a loss. Not because scUM is that great, though. WVU turncoat's 2nd year in Ann Arbor....who knows, maybe he turns them around a bit.

#20 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

North Carolina in the Top 20???? Really??? Unbelievable.....not saying State should be up there but me thinks UNC should be down around us in the 30's

We actually came in at 43rd in votes, which I feel is way too low. But I agree that UNC is probably overrated considered what they lost on offense, but the way they've been getting hyped this offseason it really isn't a surprise to see them in the top 25.

The one of two reasons Carolina is in the top 25, the other is the returning players on defense.....Coaches polls have always tend to give the lean to a good defensive team even if they lost a lot on offense, and with Carolina leading with INTS last season with such a young group I sorta see the Coaches giving them a chance being in the top 25....but damn when you loose 90% of your offense that should have factored in more than it did.

meh....I cant wait for them to come in and tell me Im just jealous lol

Tweeder is one of the only voices of reason from the UNC side on this board.....I wonder what he'll say

you are jealous!!!! ha

No I believe Carolina should be ranked around 30-35 and I would not have argued much about that.....It is rather easy to argue a top 20 with a bunch of people on offense you have never seen on a college field much less in a BCS conference, things will be a little quicker compared to last season.

No. State should be higher not UNC being lower. And why do you say that? We had a better year and have a more talented team.

I think State is ranked where they need to be......Russel Wilson came out there and surprised people including State fans, but when you factor in injuries to some of their best players and then think now people have tape on Wilson might make a difference. I just think Carolina got put up there to continue the hype they have been receiving in the off-season.

That is very much up for debate... UNC has a slight edge in the recruiting over the past 2 years, but you have no experience on the offensive side of the ball, whereas State should be one of the top offensives team in the ACC. But State is very suspect on defense, whereas UNC should be one of the top defensive teams in the ACC.

Both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and they should/are a lot more closely matched than what this preseason ranking suggest.

recruiting should not be even taken into effect, because you never know how the kid is going to develop....Look at VT who has turned 3 stars into NFL first round draft picks, people give recruiting to much hype now and days.....It was different when fans just looked at recruiting, now you have a BIG deal about signing day. It is getting about as big as draft day!!(OK maybe that was a little exaggeration, but you get my point)

These rankings should not be media biased or which coaches like which other coach, they are all Coaches and should know how to evaluate teams, and I see much bias when looking at the Coaches poll at the beginning of the season, and even in the top 10 throughout the season.

I could understand the AP poll being bias, just because most message boards can do just as good of a job in ranking teams, but coaches should have a better understanding of the talent and teams. (You have some that just vote for certain teams just so it makes their season look better.)

#21 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

UNC may be a top 20 team by the end of the year, but losing all those receivers has got to hurt quite a bit, particularly in the early going. Defensively I think UNC will be pretty good.

#22 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

The good thing about the early going is that the only tough game in the first half is GT. Not a team you really wanna throw on when they lost 3 of 4 defensive linemen.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com