30 replies to this topic

#1 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

http://www.si.com/nf...5/kenjon-barner

Really good article on Barner and what it takes going from college to the pros.

Perhaps the most stunning thing for Barner, besides the inevitable rookie wall, was how much more he was asked to do mentally at the NFL level. While his Oregon meetings with other backs were generally more toned as "Zone left? Zone right? Got it!", the Saturday night quizzes he and his battery mates had last season were far more comprehensive. Barner told me that the expectations regarding reading blitzes, understanding the positions of defenders, and wrapping your arms around the ways in which plays can change on the fly came as a fairly major surprise. If you want to know the 14 things you could or should possibly do when the weakside linebacker moves incrementally just so, taking a few of those quizzes is a good way to start -- and if you're not on the ball in those meetings, you won't get the ball when it's gametime.

"Oh, absolutely -- the rookie wall!," he recalled with a laugh. "For me, it was about Week 7. I was actually sitting in a meeting room, sitting next to DeAngelo, and I said, 'I don't know if I'm going to make it.' And DeAngelo yells out, 'He hit the rookie wall, y'all!' It's just a long season.

#2 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Really good read. I'm pulling for Barner. He's got the potential to be the next Darren Sproles or the next Joe Adams. I just hope Shula puts him in positions to make plays, and that he makes the most out of the touches he's given.

#3 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

hmm.  well he better get his ass in gear or his ass is gone.

#4 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

He's gotta make some serious noise in TC, and preseason this year. I can only hope that he does.

Edited by TheRed, 17 July 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#5 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,549 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

He sucks. Cut.

#6 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Joe Adams only got one year.  I honestly believe if our coaches saw more in Adams, Gettleman would have given him another shot.  I see the same with Barner.  If Gaffney shows he can hang onto the ball, cut Barner, we'll probably draft another RB in the 6th next year anyway.

Sure size can be overcome, if he really gets his head in the game, if not, see ya.

#7 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm not sure Barner's playing weight last year was 200. Combine weight maybe...but he looked so fragile on the field. Hopefully he can get to 205 and learn the playbook.

DLo is 215 and about the same height I think.

#8 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I pull for all young players trying to catch on and make a career out of it but he did not show too much promise last year.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

#9 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Can't believe people are saying our 3rd string rookie running back (that didn't have many chances to see the field) sucks.

#10 Servant of Cthululelei

Servant of Cthululelei

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Can't believe people are saying our 3rd string rookie running back (that didn't have many chances to see the field) sucks.

Can't you though?  This is the Huddle.

#11 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

He didnt do sht

#12 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

It's the NFL.  He didn't make the most of the little time he saw.  Can't pick up blitzes and then we draft someone who apparently can.  They don't have much invested in him so there's no pressure to keep.

#13 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Lol yall expect a 6th round rookie to unseat two overpaid running backs?! Give me a break!

Yeah, "he sucks". All of his seven touches showed that..

Give him a REAL opportunity at playing time or a role and THEN judge him. Some of you guys are just sorry.

He's not gunna have many touches when like 25% of our cap is tied up in RBs. What team would put down that money and not have players play?

I don't wana hear poo about what he did with his seven touches. How many times has DeAngelo been tackled for no gain 7 times in a row?

Edited by The Huddler, 17 July 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#14 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

We have been spoiled by our rookie's success, and many of you have a complete unrealistic expectation for a 6th round ROOKIE.

Edited by The Huddler, 17 July 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#15 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Says I can't read it. Do you have to have a subscription?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com