Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars The Old Republic

569 posts in this topic

Posted

Not really liking the talks of linear gameplay.

I haven't played Rift but I don't think swtor is any more linear than others. Often linear could be replaced with streamlined. Being a story driven game it makes a lot of sense to be linear to a point. You can go anywhere you want but you have to follow the questline to level properly and the side quests complement the main class story line for each planet. Honestly it feels a little awkward if you don't follow the set path. I just finished rushing through the class quests on a planet because I knew I'd get the healer companion and I really needed him because SWs and JKs are pretty gimped. Now that I'm going back and finishing the side quests they seem weird because I've already completed the planet's story arc(i.e. I'm fighting rebels that I've already put down).

Posted

Well I'm looking forward to getting off the training planet then.

I was an original SWG player and actually really liked it until they changed combat. You could travel around entire planets, drive speeders, then starships; and it was biased towards being a rebel (which I felt was more true to the concept of Star Wars). It had a lot of issues but for it's time I thought it was great.

Posted

damn down until midnight.. sucks.. I been spending a lot of time hunting down the holocrons lol.

Posted

Gotta say it. I'm a bit underwhelmed with the game. Still way early as I'm only level 6....just hope it gets better.

Posted

What class are you playing and why underhwelmed?

Posted

Playing Jedi Knight. There are a few minor gripes I have. The game isn't terrible and honestly it's still to early to say how good or bad it is.

Some gripes:

1. I feel like I'm right on top of my character. Would like to be able to pull back further with the camera.

2. No macros? Or am I missing something?

3. Input lag. After pressing an ability their seems to be some lag with the amount of time it takes the game to recognize and do what I wanted.

4. Cartoonish look to the character.

5. Having to accept the EULA EVERYTIME i log on. (Not a gameplay issue but still rather annoying).

6. Animations don't look particularly well done to me (regarding combat).

7. Inability to place waypoints. Perhaps I've missed this somewhere.

Posted

I'm with you on the being close to my character as I'm used to DAOC which was considerably further away but it's easy enough for me to overlook.

There are no macros as of right now.

Ability lag could be the ability queue. It's defaulted at .5 seconds. So you can queue your next ability half a second before the universal cooldown is up. You can change that to up to 1 second or down to nothing. Don't know if this is what your experiencing or if it's really just lag.

I was very disappointed when I first saw the graphic style they were going with. I understand why they went stylized graphics rather than realistic even if I wish they hadn't. Once you start getting cooler looking gear it's easier to ignore the simplistic faces at least for me.

I don't have to accept the EULA anymore when I log on, so I don't know why you would.

Combat flows better as you get more abilities at least in my opinion. When you start seeing your character blocking blaster fire from behind and actually reaching behind their head with their saber to block them is pretty cool.

I can't speak on the waypoints because I've never tried.

Posted

there is a way to zoom in and out...just cant remember now right off the top of my head.

Posted

are the servers diverse or are there thousands of jedi running around with maybe one or two bounty hunters.

Posted

im interested in picking this up but would like to know ahead of time about certain things...

I played SWG for a while back in 04-05 and one of my favorite parts of that was making/selling items on the market and also being a bard, basically. Some off the wall stuff that I know is probably not available in this but it might sway me either way. I don't have a lot of interest in just a hack n'slash game...thats what Diablo will be for....

Posted

Playing Jedi Knight. There are a few minor gripes I have. The game isn't terrible and honestly it's still to early to say how good or bad it is.

Some gripes:

1. I feel like I'm right on top of my character. Would like to be able to pull back further with the camera.

2. No macros? Or am I missing something?

3. Input lag. After pressing an ability their seems to be some lag with the amount of time it takes the game to recognize and do what I wanted.

4. Cartoonish look to the character.

5. Having to accept the EULA EVERYTIME i log on. (Not a gameplay issue but still rather annoying).

6. Animations don't look particularly well done to me (regarding combat).

7. Inability to place waypoints. Perhaps I've missed this somewhere.

1. There's an option to zoom out further, you can zoom waaaay back if you want

2. No macros and no addons at launch but will come later.

3. You might be lagging, the server could be lagging or it could just be the way a JK plays. If it's the latter you'll get used to it. The JKs and SWs play a little different, there's sort of a rhythm to it.

4. Meh, I can deal with it.

5. Odd

6. I much prefer the SW animations to the JK ones.

7. idk, I've never seen a reason for them

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep...you guys were right there is an option that lets you zoom a lot further back. Thx for heads up. Don't know how I missed it as I had looked at the settings. Got a couple more abilities and the animations look better on these. Just got off the first planet and am in the republic fleet...now to figure out how to craft.