Toolbox

Video games are dead *rant*

13 minutes ago, Seamonk said:

I got a raspberry pi and put retro pi on it for my nes/snes games and got an 8bitdo snes bluetooth controller to play.. dont need no nintendo classics...

I heard the PS4 controllers are good for retropie gaming.

I decided to weigh in on this. I loved the first Shadow of Mordor game. I was extremely hyped for the second until I heard about the loot boxes. Everything I read was scaring me away from the game and I had almost reserved myself to waiting until the game went on sale for like $20 to buy it. Then I read a few reviews and pretty much the consensus was this: Shadow of War is a great game. It can be a little grindy towards the end but besides that it's everything and more that the first one was. As far as the loot boxes go just don't pay attention to them. So I decided to pony up and buy the game, and basically everything the reviews said is true. The game is great and loads of fun. I've won some of the loot crates by completing the online vendettas, but besides that I have not even paid attention to that aspect of the game, and nor do I plan on buying any aside from using the in-game currency that is earned.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Burnout189 said:

I decided to weigh in on this. I loved the first Shadow of Mordor game. I was extremely hyped for the second until I heard about the loot boxes. Everything I read was scaring me away from the game and I had almost reserved myself to waiting until the game went on sale for like $20 to buy it. Then I read a few reviews and pretty much the consensus was this: Shadow of War is a great game. It can be a little grindy towards the end but besides that it's everything and more that the first one was. As far as the loot boxes go just don't pay attention to them. So I decided to pony up and buy the game, and basically everything the reviews said is true. The game is great and loads of fun. I've won some of the loot crates by completing the online vendettas, but besides that I have not even paid attention to that aspect of the game, and nor do I plan on buying any aside from using the in-game currency that is earned.

Yeah the game itself is not the problem.. it's the practice of adding MT and loot crates to SP games.. we don't want to see this become a trend with SP games and want game devs and publishers to stop being so greedy.

9 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

Yeah the game itself is not the problem.. it's the practice of adding MT and loot crates to SP games.. we don't want to see this become a trend with SP games and want game devs and publishers to stop being so greedy.

Oh I am totally in agreement there. I'm just hoping the blow-back from critics and fans over this might give future publishers pause from doing the same thing again. Assassins Creed Origins has loot boxes in it, but they are all only bought with in-game currency only.

41 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

Oh I am totally in agreement there. I'm just hoping the blow-back from critics and fans over this might give future publishers pause from doing the same thing again. Assassins Creed Origins has loot boxes in it, but they are all only bought with in-game currency only.

Yeah did you see where battlefront 2 is making progression only by lootcrate?? how dumb is that?? They made it where if you spend enough money on lootcrates you can get gold level skills that will dominate those who don't spend the money... so basically pay to win.

Fug. I preordered Battlefront like 5 months ago or whenever you could. Guess the joke is on me. I have the Beta but have only played it once. Haven't had the time. I don't mind a grind away, ignore loot crates type of game on my phone. But when I sit down to play on my tv, I want a real game.

Edited by Moorgan

10 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Fug. I preordered Battlefront like 5 months ago or whenever you could. Guess the joke is on me. I have the Beta but have only played it once. Haven't had the time. I don't mind a grind away, ignore loot crates type of game on my phone. But when I sit down to play on my tv, I want a real game.

Yeah if you want weapons with the addons to them you will be grinding for a extremely long time.. I saw some reddit post that it would take more than 100 hours to get all weapons with addons for them without paying for loot crates.. that's beyond insane to me.

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

Yeah did you see where battlefront 2 is making progression only by lootcrate?? how dumb is that?? They made it where if you spend enough money on lootcrates you can get gold level skills that will dominate those who don't spend the money... so basically pay to win.

18 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Battlefront 2 has came out with some changes/news on loot crates though.   The biggest is:

• And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.

That's pretty huge and important.    You still have to put in the time to level up to use said Star Cards.    I'm torn on the Battlefront 2 thing.   When the first one dropped in 2015, everyone was whining about two things (omg no single player and omg this season pass is so expensive).    EA (and I'm not a huge fan) added a single player to this one AND offered free DLC by way of MTX.    We can't always have our cake and eat it too.    It's obviously $60 is cheap for what games should be nowadays because of inflation.    Also EA's license to make Star Wars has to be super expensive.    There also isn't really a better looking game than SWBF, or very few.     I think if you play the game, you'll be fine, it may be a slight annoyance but should be OK.

Now the Mordor game is different to me.   You bought a single player game where they added a giant grind to FINISH the game at the end, with no warning to anyone.    THAT kind of MTX is way worse than SWBF2 has in mind.    Way worse.

Also, NBA2k17 may have the worst of all these games with how much VC it costs to upgrade your character and do anything (even hair, my god).    I actually have skipped it so far this year, because it WAS a release day purpose (also my annoyance they aren't allowing Amazon to sell physical copies at launch).  

Edited by Zaximus
  • Pie 1

Here is the full text or a large portion they released a few days ago:

Crates will include a mix of of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.

Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.

If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.

And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.

- Getting crafting parts for dupes is great as well.

Edited by Zaximus
  • Pie 1

Seems like the beta only added to the confusion about what the system was all about.. all this outrage and speculation could have been avoided if they were clear about it in the first place..

9 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

Seems like the beta only added to the confusion about what the system was all about.. all this outrage and speculation could have been avoided if they were clear about it in the first place..

Yeah though I'm not sure these explanations were originally intended until people's opinions/backlash AFTER the beta, which is good, which means EA is listening (something they didn't do much of for BF1).  

2 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Yeah though I'm not sure these explanations were originally intended until people's opinions/backlash AFTER the beta, which is good, which means EA is listening (something they didn't do much of for BF1).  

I'm glad they did. I tried the beta and really liked it but the progression system was f'ed from the get go.

• Pie 1