Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Morgan

Panthers are 24 million under the cap

Recommended Posts



Just now, The Lobo said:

Still waiting on that Shep cut...

Me too. I think it'll happen once we have signed a FA WR. I certainly hope so. We signed him to contribute at WR and be an elite special teamer. He has been neither. He isn't worth his cap hit and we'd save over $2M by releasing him. I honestly thought he'd hit the door with Stew and CJ. IMO Stew, CJ, and Shepard were the three no-brainer cuts to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I thought I read the other day we was close to 30. That's not good, don't count on getting a good wr then. Not with all the holes we have on the oline and defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thomas96 said:

Will be $19M tonight...

And if we really do go after a top free agent receiver, it could be significantly less than that...quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Scot said:

And if we really do go after a top free agent receiver, it could be significantly less than that...quickly.

Maybe but a deal for one of them could easily be a tiny cap hit this year with most of it backloaded. That's Hurney's forte...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OvertheCap.com has us at $26.5 million under - Spotrac has us at $24.6 million under. 

Interestingly, Spotrac had us at $27.2 as recently as this Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Maybe but a deal for one of them could easily be a tiny cap hit this year with most of it backloaded. That's Hurney's forte...

And that thought makes me cringe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And that thought makes me cringe.

No me, not necessarily. It's all about the guaranteed money. I'd take a backloaded deal similar in structure (but not volume) to the contract GB gave Davante Adams. It's majorly backloaded, but backloaded with base salary. That's not dead money on the cap if he ends up getting released. The issue with Hurney is that after the first two "cheap" years of that contract, Hurney would convert big chunks of that salary into bonus to spread it out over the remaining years and that DOES create dead money on the cap and that's where he'd get himself into trouble. Robbing Peter to try to pay Paul.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That number includes an allocation of about 6 million for our draft picks.  So 30 million not counting those picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No me, not necessarily. It's all about the guaranteed money. I'd take a backloaded deal similar in structure (but not volume) to the contract GB gave Davante Adams. It's majorly backloaded, but backloaded with base salary. That's not dead money on the cap if he ends up getting released. The issue with Hurney is that after the first two "cheap" years of that contract, Hurney would convert big chunks of that salary into bonus to spread it out over the remaining years and that DOES create dead money on the cap and that's where he'd get himself into trouble. Robbing Peter to try to pay Paul.

It's the "kicking the can down the road" approach that scares me.

We've seen it before, and we've seen it blow up in our faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone needs to subtract 4M(at least) for Peppers. He isn’t going to play for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Everyone needs to subtract 4M(at least) for Peppers. He isn’t going to play for free. 

Depending on what we hear from Sig, that might not be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Depending on what we hear from Sig, that might not be an issue.

True. But if it isn’t one, then we have another big hole to fill. One that most had already penciled in at DE. Plus whatever we spend on backup QB. Then we are going to throw away 5M in a couple hours. Still have no FS. We don’t have nearly the cap room people think. If you want a WR like Watkins or Robinson, That’s going to be about all we get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×