Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the greatest football player ever?

84 posts in this topic

Posted

through evolution, today's humans are clearly better physical specimens than those even 50 years ago...

Posted

JohnnyUnitas.jpg

Posted

I have trouble seeing Jerry Rice lining up anywhere on the defensive side of the ball...

Posted

danmarino.jpg

Though I'll admit to being biased as he was my favorite player growing up. If not one of the greatest QBs ever, definitely one of the best QBs without a ring.

Posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Grange

Red Grange, charter member of the HOF. Caught the winning pass in 1933 championship game form Bronco Nagurski who I thought about nominating just because he has a great name for football, but he's Canadian and therefore automatically disqualified

Posted

Jim Brown. If Walter Payton was alive he would say the same thing.

Posted

I'm changing my answer to Deion Sanders

Posted

It's not fair to compare athleticism from different eras. How did each player do against his contemporaries? That's fair.

This is also fair....in the early days of football, most of your best athletes played baseball. It was far more popular. Nowadays football is king. So if a kid is a great athlete he is more likely to pick the sport he follows most closely.

So if modern players played both ways, who would you imagine would do best? Like Dimbee said, Jerry Rice playing defense? Don't think so. Walter? Maybe. Jim Brown? Definitely.

I'd say the player currently playing who would make the best two-way player would be Hines Ward.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd say the player currently playing who would make the best two-way player would be Hines Ward.

Andre and Calvin Johnson would be scary safeties or corners with speed and crazy size.

Good call on Ward though.

Posted

Barry Sanders... too bad he didnt have a good team backin him.

Posted

I am wrong that the athletes where not near as good in 1943?

No, but you have to view any athlete in the context of the time in which they played... there is no other way to compare. In the time that he played, Sammy Baugh was so far ahead of everyone else that it was absurd. He could have gotten into the HOF by playing any one of the positions he played, but he played several at an elite level.

Jim Brown is probably the next closest in terms of someone that stood apart from the crowd as much as Sammy Baugh did. Like Ruth, the one asterisk next to Baugh is that he played in a period of time when African-Americans were not allowed to participate, so maybe we should say Sammy is the greatest segregation-era player of all time and Brown is the greatest post segregation-era player of all time?

1 person likes this

Posted

rice is the only player who is the undisputed greatest at his position (except adam vinateiri :D) so ill have to go with him

1 person likes this