82 replies to this topic

#46 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,198 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

Question: I just bought some 3 gallon river birches. Is it still early enough to plant them or do I need to wait until fall?

#47 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

The big plants should probably be moved in the Fall/Winter.

Just guessing.

WTF is a hosta....*wanders off to google*

I'm getting read to plant some! :)

#48 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,325 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

Question: I just bought some 3 gallon river birches. Is it still early enough to plant them or do I need to wait until fall?

You can plant them whenever....fall is just the best time because most bushes/shrubs/trees are dormant and they can get good root base before the next summer comes around.

If you plant them now, just make sure to water them daily.....especially if they are in direct sun of 6+ hours or more. Planting flowers in the spring is fine but grass, trees, shrubs and bushes should be done in the fall if possible.

#49 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

holy poo-- go to lowes- buy a landscaping book, a rake, a shovel, and some plants....

DO it yourself, its a great workout, sweat a little, and enjoy working with your hands....

Damn... You could have already been done by now....

Women always bitch about being independent, well-- get out there and do it yourself.

You WILL feel a lot better if you have o put the work behind it...

Its not hard, Its just some dirt and some plants...

+ its FUN

This is better than watching videos of Tourettes Guy.

#50 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,971 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

lol at AK...:rolleyes:

#51 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

GOD I pulled up like 30 weeds yesterday. With ONE hand. After reading a BOOK about pulling WEEDS UP WITH ONE HAND. And then I THREW THEM ON THE GROUND and I STOMPED ON THEM because I am MANLY as poo.

Stupid WOMEN wanting INDEPENDENCE. The mark of TRUE independence is the ABILITY TO PULL WEEDS. GOD.

#52 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

I'm kind of in a similar predicament. I have these coupons to use at King's nursery during the summer. It gives me over $100 off my purchase if made in June and July. I am looking to purchase 2 River Birches and an ornamental tree. I'd like to use my coupons on the trees but I'm not sure it's a good idea to plant them in the summer especially because it will be in our front yard that gets full sun pretty much all day. We do have a sprinkler system so they would get watered often but I think it might be a bit risky. Maybe they can sit from summer til fall and be OK. I guess that happens at the nurseries.

Not sure what kind of plants to buy from a nursery in the summer, i guess that's why the coupons are for that time period.

#53 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

I planted grass seeds about 3 weeks ago. It's already about 2.5 " tall. I bet there's only 2 weeks more of this weather before the really hot stuff comes around for good and grass planting season is on hold until fall...

#54 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,583 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

I planted grass seeds about 3 weeks ago. It's already about 2.5 " tall. I bet there's only 2 weeks more of this weather before the really hot stuff comes around for good and grass planting season is on hold until fall...

So grass is best planted in the hottest months.

Most Bermuda fields are planted in dead of summer.

#55 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,081 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

You might have one more frost. Always best to do your planting after that last one.
Then it's on.

#56 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

So grass is best planted in the hottest months.

Most Bermuda fields are planted in dead of summer.

Not my grass. I plant a strand of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia.

#57 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,583 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

You might have one more frost. Always best to do your planting after that last one.
Then it's on.

Doubtful.

it's going to be a hot dry summer (least that what old farmers tell me :lol:)

I predict 2 hurricanes.

#58 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,583 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

Not my grass. I plant a strand of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia.

Your grass is too complicated.:boxing_smiley::D

#59 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night.

#60 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Apparently I need your help. Grass really took off in the back yard and side yard, everything is working great but the front yard which has a really big slope is a bitch. The little bit of grass that actually grew looks like it's dying and i sprayed weed killer and the weeds are still alive and kickin. I think i might hirer the front yard out in the fall because apparently I'm not doing something right. Maybe if i use a spray on fertilizer because the i'm thinking the dry fertlizer might be washing to the bottom of the slope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com