Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Secondary:Panthers or Saints?

Better Secondary   37 votes

1. 1. Better Secondary

• Panthers
    • Saints

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Was just reading this and it got me thinking. Who has the better secondary in 2010?

The Saints' duo of Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter allowed one quarterback all last year to record a passer rating of higher than 80.0 when both cornerbacks were in the starting lineup.

It was Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl (88.5 rating), and Porter had the game-winning pick six off of him in the fourth quarter. Greer, quietly, emerged last season as a shutdown corner, and Porter wasn't far off. If the duo stays healthy this year, the Saints' pass defense will be a matchup to avoid.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2968

Posted

in past years carolina would've won this hands down, but the saints made the secondary a priority last year and it paid off for them. to me it entirely depends on how the safety position in carolina shakes out, and how effective sharper can be this year in new orleans. these are both questions we won't know the answer to until at least the end of preseason, and likely until 3-4 games into the regular season.

Posted

I'll need to see how our pass rush looks this year, as I think it will have quite an effect on how our secondary looks. Right now, I give the edge to the Saints.

Posted

the panther's secondary was ranked 4th in the NFL last season IIRC. the saints had good production from they're secondary, but it was mainly because the offense scored so many points, that they're opponents were forced to throw the ball, making them one-dimentional.

of course the stats still count, but what i am saying is that if carolina had scored so many points on offense that they forced opponents to throw the ball, then our secondary would have improved as well. ours is better, even with the young guys.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yup, as others have said the safety play is the big ? for us this year.

Sharper had a great year, so you would have to give him the edge over any of our safeties at the moment, but I would take Gamble and Marshall over anything they have hands down.

Posted

It goes to us because...

CAR Pass Yd Ranking - 4th +22

NO Pass Yd Ranking - 26th

And don't give me the, "Well it doesn't matter because they intercepted their opponent before they got in the endzone! Something that Carolina can't do!" because...

CAR Int. Ranking - 5th -2

NO Int. Ranking - 3rd

and

CAR Opp. Pass TD Ranking - 2nd +3

NO Opp. Pass TD Ranking - 5th

And please don't say, "At least the Saints safeties don't give up the big play! Ahem...CAROLINA!" because...

CAR Opp. 40+ Yd Pass Ranking - 8th +16

NO Opp. 40+ Yd Pass Ranking - 24th

and

CAR Opp. 20+ Yd Pass Ranking - 6th +13

NO Opp. 20+ Yd Pass Ranking - 19th

Carolina = +52

Posted

so what? the question isn't who has the best safeties, its who has the best secondary, and until proven otherwise, its the Panthers. the numbers don't lie. poll unnecessary

Well several of the previous posters said it depended on the safety play. So there.

Posted

in past years carolina would've won this hands down, but the saints made the secondary a priority last year and it paid off for them. to me it entirely depends on how the safety position in carolina shakes out, and how effective sharper can be this year in new orleans. these are both questions we won't know the answer to until at least the end of preseason, and likely until 3-4 games into the regular season.

agree with this. Gamble and Marshall make for a better corner tandem, but it will all depend how the safety situation/pass rush pans out. I'm going with the Saints right now, but Carolina has the potential to be good. Potential doesn't always work out on the field, though.

Pro bowl is a popularity contest and nothing more. Vince Young and Garrard made the pro bowl last year lol.

Posted

Vince Young and Garrard made the pro bowl last year lol.

Replacing Manning and Brady.

Posted

Replacing Manning and Brady.

My point is that fan voting all star games = a disaster and is in no way an indicator for a players skill.