Photo
- - - - -

OK ENOUGH. Can't we just be realistic about Jimmy Clausen?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

If you give up on a rookie quarterback after one start, please just go play fantasy football.

#47 roaddog96

roaddog96

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Seriously, I don't know what you guys expected out of Clausen. He's a rookie, therefore he will make rookie mistakes. This team has way too many holes to even contend for a playoff spot, and this was apparent in preseason. Even though we may have played well on D in the preseason, that was against base offensive packages with minimal protection schemes in place. Offensively, there should have been major concern among the coaching staff. When you can't score a single offensive touchdown in the preseason of all things, then there is a major problem that should've been addressed immediately.

Right now, no one knows if Clausen is the "savior". He got the keys because the guy that has been in this system for 4 years (correct me if I'm wrong on that) looked absolutely abysmal back there in the first two games. Matt Moore deserved his benching due to his play and the fact that he didn't live up to the expectation that was put in front of him. Lead the team and prevent turnovers.

Clausen had a very bad first half , but I had to remind myself that he's still a rookie in his first ever start, and he's gonna make some mistakes, so I can't hold him to the same standard that I would a veteran. The point of taking lumps is to go out there and make your mistakes so that you can learn and improve. As i expected, Clausen did improve from first half to second half. That much cannot be denied. The offense moved, whenever we actually stayed out of our own way.

The expectations of this fan base are entirely too unrealistic compared to the talents that are currently on this team. There was no way that this team was ever going to make the playoffs this year, and I think that too many people put too much stock in what happened last year at the end of the season. This team is flawed, it was flawed last year, and it will remain flawed until there is a change in the guard and players are brought in to fill the other holes in this team.

Only time will tell if Clausen is the first step in the right direction towards building a contending team, but until he has all the pieces, and the roster truly has a chance to make some noise, then we'll never know. Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither are perennial contenders. We are rebuilding for the future, so there will be mistakes as the younger players get a chance to play. Take the losses now and build so that when the victories come in bunches in future years, they're that much sweeter. Should we raise the Lombardi trophy soon, you can say you were here for the ride. You saw the pieces to come together. We did it our way, with our guys.

#48 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

If you give up on a rookie quarterback after one start, please just go play fantasy football.

Not giving up on a rookie QB. You have to be on board to give up on him. I'm saying I'm not on board yet, hoping and praying he gets me there. Just saying he showed nothing to call him future of franchise or hand him over the team just yet.

Too many people are calling him the future of this franchise. I'm simply taking a wait and see/show me something approach.

#49 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,466 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

Moore had 2 games to prove himself and we should give Clausen more time to show what he can do. So far when the game was on the line he was able to lead them down the field with the help of some penalties. Still we were only down 10-7 in the third quarter after playing some of the worst Panther's ball I have witnessed. He wasn't able to do much else but still it is more about what he learns from one game to the next which is most important. It isn't a problem he made mistakes so much as he needs to show he can benefit from the experience and not keep repeating the same mistakes. That is what doomed Moore. It wasn't the mistakes so much as the continued mistakes and not playing well in either game.

If Clausen can watch some film and see how many guys were wide open down the field while he was dumping it off, How to stop staring down one receiver, stop trying to run for a first down on third and 13 and instead buy some time on a roll out and throw it downfield, he will improve. When he sees the defender between the receiver and himself, if he looks at another option knowing that you have to get points when you are in the redzone then he will have improved.
Lots of things to improve on. Besides does anyone think we can beat the Saints in their house with either Jimmy or Matt. I would prefer to throw Jimmy in there and see what he does. If he struggles again then you can decide what to do going forward. It isn't like Moore did anything either.

#50 party_animal

party_animal

Big Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

First off that's not exactly a huge difference in passing numbers. And second....the actual passes themselves. Matt's passes when he did make them, looked a lot more decisive and accurate. Jimmy's looked eratic today.

And second, the reason his stock went down is Jimmy played BETTER last week than this week.

matt moore has floated nearly every pass coming out of his hands this season. jimmy clausen showed a lot more with his throws today. he showed touch, the ability to zip it into coverage, and had really good placement on a lot of his throws. his second half today was light years ahead of anything matt moore has shown this season.

bottom line is he's a rookie. not every rookie is going to come in and play lights out in their first game.

#51 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

matt moore has floated nearly every pass coming out of his hands this season. jimmy clausen showed a lot more with his throws today. he showed touch, the ability to zip it into coverage, and had really good placement on a lot of his throws. his second half today was light years ahead of anything matt moore has shown this season.

bottom line is he's a rookie. not every rookie is going to come in and play lights out in their first game.

Matt floated some of the longer passes. But his short passes were accurate, including the touchdown to Smith which split the defenders perfectly.

And bottom line. I agree. And that should be our attitude. Not FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE!

#52 Jrock3016

Jrock3016

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

we knew the game was going to be sloppy. Im really believing we have some truly ignorant fans. Seems like the majority of them is on this site. +/- some.

Basicially I feel that you are ignorant if you believed that a rookie qb was going to get his first professional game and not make mistakes. its not like he made awful decisions like the opponent qb. He played like a learning rookie. PERIOD. You looking at all these numbers and stats n shyt. F*ck the numbers. He played like all the other greats did when they was a rookie..And to credit Clausen's situation compared to the rest, the others probably didn't have their first in the rain...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.