#16 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I'm talking limited in play calling and what he can do on the field

We needed a QB coach. I doubt Fox would say no to Davidson suggestion of his friend and someone he worked with

But the passing game after game 1... smh!!!

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I'm talking limited in play calling and what he can do on the field

We needed a QB coach. I doubt Fox would say no to Davidson suggestion of his friend and someone he worked with

But the passing game after game 1... smh!!!

Early in the year I would have agreed (said as much).

As the season wore on though, I got just the opposite vibe. It looked to me like Fox was giving Davidson plenty of latitude. And why not? Part of the reason he was hired was because he and Fox were sympatico on offensive philosophy.

If there was any conflict, it seems more reasonable that it might have been between Davidson and McCoy. End of season, McCoy is out one week later, and replaced one day later.

Wouldn't be at all surprising to hear that Davidson had Scherer in mind even before McCoy was officially gone.

Edited by Mr Scot, 19 January 2009 - 12:45 AM.

#18 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

Naw, I look at it opposite from you

The conservative take once we got the lead at the end of year let off fumes of Fox

I know Jeff likes to use his TE in the passing game. Something we did late last year, reason for Rosario emergence, and he did his thing in preseason against Redskins. Then game 1 against Chargers he was leading catcher and in yards, and caught the game winner. Even Jarrett got some looks. After that, dudes just disappeared. Now look, I do know Rosario started to fall off and drop passes, but so did his chances, and Hackett stayed injured, but when healthy got no looks. Same as Jarrett. But it became run run and run as time went on. King became like a full time blocker, when last year he proved he was a valuable catcher in the passing game

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

I think the reason for the TEs falling off has to do with the TEs themselves, not the scheme or the coaches.

Someone else had observed that Rosario wasn't even finishing some of his routes.

#20 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

I'm not sure how this fits into any part of this conversation but didn't Jake openly campaign for McCoy for the OC job back when Henning got fired. Just something I thought of...

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:22 AM

I'm not sure how this fits into any part of this conversation but didn't Jake openly campaign for McCoy for the OC job back when Henning got fired. Just something I thought of...

"Campaigned" might be a strong word but he was reportedly in favor of it.

#22 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

"Campaigned" might be a strong word but he was reportedly in favor of it.

Campaigned may be too strong of a word but yes he was in favor of it.

Anyway, why does this bit of information combined with this thread seem to spark my interest. I don't know what but as soon as I thought of that when reading this thread my gears started turning. Could it be that Davidson and Delhomme may not have a great relationship? I really shouldn't say that because there is no proof but if McCoy and Davidson had a strained relationship and Delhomme and McCoy were friends there could be something there.

#23 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hmmmm...

#24 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

Think about this; what if there is some type of devision between Davidson and Delhomme due to McCoy? Seeing how Davidson has some pull now with Fox and Hurney could he have enough pull to get the team to invest in a QB on the first day of the draft or in FA? Or even seeing Moore or McCown get / win the starting job after working with the new QB coach?

#25 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hmmm again..

Smh whoever would have ever thought this organization would be up-side down

Think what you want, but behind closed doors, it is

#26 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Wow I just realized Cards offensive coordinator isn't Ken. They have their separate OC

We promote Browns OC to our QB coach, who is a friend of our OC

Jeff - HC Scherer - OC

Future? Looks more like it

#27 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,589 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

Are you frigging kidding me? I'm more upset with Davidson than any other coach on the team. Our offense completely forgot how the hell we got to the playoffs in the first place!

Davidson may end up being a good HC someday, but I definitely have my doubts about him ever as a OC, thanks to our last game.

Honestly, what is more ignorant? Jake having 6 turnovers, or the fact that we put the game in Jake's hand after the first scoring drive, and then LEFT it in his hands as he showed he was having a miserable night. I understand you don't bench your starting QB, but you GOT to do something to create some momentum, and not put the game into the hands of a player who is playing like crap.

#28 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

Knowing Fox, who do we really blame that call on

We dont know

#29 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

Inside info at the end of the year said Fox keeps Davidson limited to what he actually can do(Can't find the link anymore cause of all the threads in the past 3 days)

Inside info says that Fox started to have way more imprint in the D around mid-season, when our D fell apart. So... our defense was performing well in the beginning, a D Mike was running

Am I reaching too much

I still want to know who idea was to continue to inactivate our WR. and stop using our 3rd WR. after the 1st game

Somebody is in the wrong

And you dont have to doubt a offensive coach cant get us far, cause Eagles and Cards we're in the NFC Championship. 2 years in, Ken going to the Superbowl

I'm not convinced Trgovac is the immediate problem, either. I think a lot of well-intentioned Panthers fans our looking for someone to blame and see the defensive coordinator as the most obvious punching bag. Of course, some have more thorough opinions and more evident reasons to fire him, but at the other end you have fans just looking for a pinata to whack.

Sources have said, apparently, that Fox became more involved in the defense at about the time that our defense began to plummet. If this isn't compelling information, I don't know what is. The front offices are ultimately more informed on the subject than we'll ever be, and so a lot of this speculation has to ultimately rest in their laps, but keep something in mind. Fox is a defensive coach through and through, and whether he got more involved in the defense or not, he sees what Trgovac is doing and still defends the defensive schemes on a weekly basis despite obvious signs of flaws. If we're to give this man the reigns to the team, he has to be held accountable for all coaching issues, offensive and especially defensive. Trgovac may be an awful coordinator, but it doesn't say a lot about your head coach when that coordinator is stubbornly supported year in and year out.

#30 Mesmer

Mesmer

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:19 AM

All this discussion is pretty irrelevant to me. I don't understand how it's even remotely possible that Davidson gets the Head Coach job here. Think about it for a second.

We all pretty much know that Fox is staying here this season. I don't know that an official statement has been made, but if it hasn't, it's basically a 99.9% certainty.

If Fox is fired after next season, I don't see many from the current staff staying. It's been said that Fox and Hurney are a package deal, so Hurney would likely be out too. I think they'd probably clean house, as Trgovac and Davidson are both "Fox" guys. Maybe some positional coaches would stay, such as Jim Skipper.. but beyond that, the house would be pretty much cleaned out.

I don't mind Davidson. I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's all that great either. To be perfectly blunt, I think I'd rather have Herm Edwards as our Head Coach over Jeff Davidson at this point. Maybe he'll be ready later, but right now there's no way.

The only thing we'd be accomplishing by firing Fox, promoting Davidson, and keeping Trgovac as DC is a first overall pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com