• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

It just bothers me when they say Cowher will not be the coach because JR will not pay his salary. If anything, he has figured out that you need deep pockets to compete. He was paying Fox $6 million or more. The evidence is starting to mount:

1. Everyone assumed Cowher would go the Giants. He is happy at CBS, no pressure to come out now and he has waited for SOMETHING for the past few years--then he announces his interest in returning just 4 games before he KNOWS the Panthers are hiring. What other job opening is so well known?

2. The Panthers and the Steelers have a great rapport and mutual respect.

3. Cowher is a NC boy.

4. There is not a better opportunity to turn around a program immediately than in Carolina. Aside from re-signing our players, we need a RG in free agency, possibly at DT.

5. Marino made a comment to Cowher about Carolina during a telecast recently that suggested he would be the next coach. He later apologized for the comment. I blew it off then, but Marino would have a pretty good idea.

6. I think Cowher would like to coach in the NFC if he returns. I read that somewhere, but it is speculation at best. If true, that limits the suitors to the following 16 teams who might be looking for a coach:

Carolina
San Franciso (imagine the chin in SF? I cannot)
Minnesota (They have their next coach right now)
Detroit (Too soon)
Arizona (are they looking for a new coach or just a QB? I say they like the coach)

That is probably it. No changes in Dallas, Philly, Washington, NY; No changes in Green Bay or Chicago; No changes in Seattle or St. Louis; No changes in Atl, NO, or TB.

It is Carolina. He will not want to go West. I doubt Detroit is the job he wants, and they may not want to fire what they have. He has been an AFC commentator, so maybe I am wrong- but maybe that is why he wants NFC.

I think Cowher has unofficially and indirectly thrown his hat in the ring just when he knows the powers that be have begun to search for a coach in Carolina. At the beginning of the week, Grimm rumors circulated. That was the sign that the Panthers were beginning their search. That is when Cowher decided to play his hand.

#32 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

money isn't an issue. power is.

#33 DR_DIGH

DR_DIGH

Insta-poop!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

It just bothers me when they say Cowher will not be the coach because JR will not pay his salary. If anything, he has figured out that you need deep pockets to compete. He was paying Fox $6 million or more. The evidence is starting to mount:

1. Everyone assumed Cowher would go the Giants. He is happy at CBS, no pressure to come out now and he has waited for SOMETHING for the past few years--then he announces his interest in returning just 4 games before he KNOWS the Panthers are hiring. What other job opening is so well known?

2. The Panthers and the Steelers have a great rapport and mutual respect.

3. Cowher is a NC boy.

4. There is not a better opportunity to turn around a program immediately than in Carolina. Aside from re-signing our players, we need a RG in free agency, possibly at DT.

5. Marino made a comment to Cowher about Carolina during a telecast recently that suggested he would be the next coach. He later apologized for the comment. I blew it off then, but Marino would have a pretty good idea.

6. I think Cowher would like to coach in the NFC if he returns. I read that somewhere, but it is speculation at best. If true, that limits the suitors to the following 16 teams who might be looking for a coach:

Carolina
San Franciso (imagine the chin in SF? I cannot)
Minnesota (They have their next coach right now)
Detroit (Too soon)
Arizona (are they looking for a new coach or just a QB? I say they like the coach)

That is probably it. No changes in Dallas, Philly, Washington, NY; No changes in Green Bay or Chicago; No changes in Seattle or St. Louis; No changes in Atl, NO, or TB.

It is Carolina. He will not want to go West. I doubt Detroit is the job he wants, and they may not want to fire what they have. He has been an AFC commentator, so maybe I am wrong- but maybe that is why he wants NFC.

I think Cowher has unofficially and indirectly thrown his hat in the ring just when he knows the powers that be have begun to search for a coach in Carolina. At the beginning of the week, Grimm rumors circulated. That was the sign that the Panthers were beginning their search. That is when Cowher decided to play his hand.

Well stated argument there. I wouldn't mind if you were correct.

#34 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,606 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Cowher, Turner and Greene. Super Bowl! Lol

#35 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

money isn't an issue. power is.

Buy this man a beer!

#36 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

JR won't pay Cower? How soon some of you forget JR's letter the other day. He pretty much said, he's all in. If Cower is meant to be here, he will be.

#37 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

JR would pay Cowher,

JR will NOT give up the power. Hurney is JR's tool. He does what JR wants. Cowher won't be a tool. Cowher won't be here.

#38 holycrikey

holycrikey

panthArs!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Can someone please explain the infatuation with Cowher?

It took him TEN playoff seasons to win a Superbowl. TEN. He has a high winning percentage, but he has consistently crapped out in the playoffs.

I don't get it.

And +1 to what Cavscout said. There is no chance in hell JR and company give up decision power. That is the nail in the coffin to this situation.

#39 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

I am hoping that Cowher does get the HC job in Carolina.

But then pulls an Adam Meadows and retires before the season starts.

That way everybody on here that speculates and has wet dreams about Cowher will shut the fug up.

#40 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Ohhhh poo. The Huddle is gonna go apeshit.

I still don't think he'd want to go back into coaching a rebuilding long-term project team such as the Panthers.

Why not? What else has he got to do? It might be fun for him.:eek::D

#41 FuzzyDuck13

FuzzyDuck13

• HUDDLER
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

JR would pay Cowher,

JR will NOT give up the power. Hurney is JR's tool. He does what JR wants. Cowher won't be a tool. Cowher won't be here.

Correct.

#42 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

.......It took him TEN playoff seasons to win a Superbowl....

The above is part of your arguement against Cowher??? I knew the winning percentage was high, but WOW I didnt realized he had 10 playoff appearances out of his 15yrs coaching. That is damn good despite the "fizzling out" you call it. I would take a run like that - the first step is you HAVE to be IN the playoffs to have a shot at winning the Superbowl.

I am not saying Cowher is the answer but I would definately prefer him over giving a cooridinator who was never a HC a chance. I think the probability of that being successful is much lower than bringing in Cowher.

#43 Goosfraba21

Goosfraba21

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

It is hard to argue against 10 playoff appearances in 15 seasons.

#44 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

...but but but, he's old, he wants control, he's over-rated.

Let's go get a college coach, nahhh, let's go get a coordinator who's never been a head coach (like we have not done that twice before).

#45 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

It is hard to argue against 10 playoff appearances in 15 seasons.

Somehow the mindset around here is that ONLY winning 1 Super Bowl in a 15 year coaching career while making the playoffs 10 times is bad. This board in general has a greatly distorted view of success in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots are a historical exception that come along about once every 10 years or so. Most teams are just happy to get to the playoffs every now and then and a great many more haven't even been in contention for several years. People need to understand what realistic success is in professional football.

Having said that, naturally I'd take Cowher and his resume in a second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.