• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#61 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Reggie Wayne, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, Tony Gonzales, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Wes Welker are some of the receivers with more drops than Steve Smith, among others.

http://stats.washing...eiving&rank=232

But how many more times have they been targeted and thrown to this year? Not saying your wrong but stats like that don't hold up when your QB only throws for 14 yards in the first half pretty much.

#62 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Smitty is another of our MANY embarrassments. He makes one nine yard catch and acts like some ubangi epileptic.

Yeah, the best player in franchise history is an embarrassment alright :rolleyes:.

He gets fired up after every catch because every time he makes a play it's an accomplishment. He's constantly double covered. His QB sucks camel dicks. I'd get fired up too if I caught a ball under those conditions.

And Smith's fiery attitude has provided a spark for our team for YEARS. It did today on that end around that led to our only TD.

But yeah, you guys are right. Smith sucks because he had to turn himself around and change his direction instantaneously while running full speed, stretch out to catch a ball that was thrown low and behind him on a short route that a JV QB could complete, and he managed to only get his fingers on it. Yep...it "hit him in the hands," definitely should have caught it.

#63 Ccat

Ccat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

But how many more times have they been targeted and thrown to this year? Not saying your wrong but stats like that don't hold up when your QB only throws for 14 yards in the first half pretty much.

The only point I'm trying to make is that even the top receivers drop passes. Just because your a professional athlete doesn't mean you are a perfect athlete.

Peyton Manning has made a lot of mistakes this year too. Is he not a top QB anymore?

#64 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, the best player in franchise history is an embarrassment alright :rolleyes:.

He gets fired up after every catch because every time he makes a play it's an accomplishment. He's constantly double covered. His QB sucks camel dicks. I'd get fired up too if I caught a ball under those conditions.

And Smith's fiery attitude has provided a spark for our team for YEARS. It did today on that end around that led to our only TD.

But yeah, you guys are right. Smith sucks because he had to turn himself around and change his direction instantaneously while running full speed, stretch out to catch a ball that was thrown low and behind him on a short route that a JV QB could complete, and he managed to only get his fingers on it. Yep...it "hit him in the hands," definitely should have caught it.

amen

#65 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

The only point I'm trying to make is that even the top receivers drop passes. Just because your a professional athlete doesn't mean you are a perfect athlete.

Peyton Manning has made a lot of mistakes this year too. Is he not a top QB anymore?

Oh yeah I agree with you.

#66 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Oh whatever dude he's a professional athlete. He needs to step up to the plate and take charge. I could care less if he throws picks, that's what rookies do. But this chicken, candyass play is unacceptable. No one expects him to be Tom Brady, just get out there and play and sling the ball around. At least show that you're trying to be the leader that you always talk about being for this team.

Of course he does, but there is such a small amount of players who have been successful in the type of situation he is in. He has been poor, no one can deny that, but it's clear he should have sat this year and who knows what would have happened.

Frankly I am not too big into just slating people. These are the guys who play for the team we support.

If you look at the disparity between Smith's numbers with Moore and Clausen you can see why they blame Clausen. It's pretty black and white.

He's a 23 year old man who has had everything handed to him in life and is finally facing some adversity, don't feel too bad for him. You can't believe it because as has been reported before, some people were paid to hype him, inflate his draft stock. Don't believe everything everyone tells you and do some analyzing yourself and you'll see the truth.

Impossible to pay 'some people' to inflate his draft stock as that would be a lot of people and a lot of money. The thing is virtually everyone out there had him up there, so you think the family paid even single source?

I am not talking about Smith's numbers. He has dropped a lot of catchable balls this year and has not been able to beat defenders like he has in the past. People are even starting to blame Clausen for this as well, which is just a little far fetched.

Clausen has played poorly, but so has Smith. Do not excuse Smith because of Clausen's poor play. Smith was struggling with the same issues when Moore was slinging it.

That's what gets said after you realize a bust is a bust.

Yeah of course it's looking like he is not translating to the NFL. However there have been plenty of guys who come on in their 2nd and 3rd years. Unfortunately this season may have stunted any progression he could of been developing by learning on the sidelines.

He looks like a bust now, but I would imagine most would in this team right now. It's no surprise that our team starts to click when Davidson finally does something different with the reverse to Smitty.

#67 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Impossible to pay 'some people' to inflate his draft stock as that would be a lot of people and a lot of money. The thing is virtually everyone out there had him up there, so you think the family paid even single source?

I am not talking about Smith's numbers. He has dropped a lot of catchable balls this year and has not been able to beat defenders like he has in the past. People are even starting to blame Clausen for this as well, which is just a little far fetched.

Clausen has played poorly, but so has Smith. Do not excuse Smith because of Clausen's poor play. Smith was struggling with the same issues when Moore was slinging it.

He was only highly touted by a few people. Most GMs and scouts saw past it and passed on Clausen when given the chance.

Smith was not struggling with Moore, he was putting up numbers. Yes he had a drop or two and a fumble but he was still getting his catches, yards, and TDs. None of those things are happening with Jimmy.

#68 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Don't think he gets double covered these days.

#69 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

If that's true its just more of an indictment on Jimmy that he can't get his best playmaker the ball. He seriously needs to stop running those downfield routes.

#70 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Well, it is an indictment of Jimmy... During the broadcast, John Lynch said his buddy Ronde in Tampa said Smitty hasn't lost anything, we just aren't getting him the ball. So, I'm pretty sure he still commands the same respect, but defenses don't have to concentrate on him as much because the more they send at the QB the less likely he will get it to Smitty.

He can't get it to Smitty when they rush 3-5, so that explains a lot.

#71 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,572 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Is anyone else tired of the same old threads?

Clausen sucks. The O-Line sucks. The playcalling sucks.

None of that is going to change. Why are we still trying to make a point about anything going on out on the field?

Poster X sucks?

#72 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,536 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

Don't think he gets triple covered these days.

fixed

#73 ECURomich

ECURomich

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

Lets blame Clausen for some of the issues, but let's not forget we are probably the only offense in the league that doesn't have designed plays for our best player. We don't run pick plays, rubs, or misdirection plays to get Smith in favorable matchups. We say Smith get open, but you only have 3 seconds to do that. Then we tell Clausen you have 3 seconds to get the ball to Smith who is in double coverage on a play that is poorly designed with an Oline that's going to block poorly.

Clausen isn't helping Smith, but Davidson isn't helping Clausen help Smith either.

#74 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Lets blame Clausen for some of the issues, but let's not forget we are probably the only offense in the league that doesn't have designed plays for our best player. We don't run pick plays, rubs, or misdirection plays to get Smith in favorable matchups. We say Smith get open, but you only have 3 seconds to do that. Then we tell Clausen you have 3 seconds to get the ball to Smith who is in double coverage on a play that is poorly designed with an Oline that's going to block poorly.

Clausen isn't helping Smith, but Davidson isn't helping Clausen help Smith either.

Imagine the career Smitty would've had if he was a Patriot. Lynch talked about this during the game as well, saying the attempt towards Barnidge (which was a horrible throw regardless) was mind boggling - basically he said it was not creative at all.

Surprise, we suck across the board. OL. Coaching. Jimmy.

#75 D34Williams

D34Williams

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Corner with safety slid over top is still double coverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com