Photo
- - - - -

Halfway to the answer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#25 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

"We could call it "Heart". But I don't think that's it. I think it's playing with a killer mentality. In the Arizona game, we were helping the other team get up off the ground... When we should have been licking our chops to put them on the ground again.

Within those 60 minutes, we have no friends. We lend no humanitarian aide. It's an all out war and every time the other team's offense gets on the field, we take that as an insult because we didn't hurt them enough to give up.

It's the line of thinking that counts. That's what Dan Morgan brought. He played old school football and use his body as a lethal weapon. (Unfortunately, thats the same reason he can't play now)

But regardless, our Defense just isn't nasty. We need to get mean on that side of the ball."

Right on! Well said!! As good of a call as I've seen on these threads about ANYTHING.
I believe we still have the talent on defense to have a darned good one, a good one being something beyond just stats, but denotes an attitude as well. One that opponents don't want to have to face, regardless of how the team's over all record is. I think we established that in '96, but couldn't maintain it. Our schemes and playcalling for the defense are often much more frustrating than our offensive mind set and execution are. Not to mention special teams. We need to be able to give the other side something beyond the usual to think about. I've said it before, if games were only 3 quarters long, we're probably a dynasty! But they play 4 quarters, and it's usually in the 4th quarter that we let teams back in. That has to stop.

I don't know if Cowher is an answer, or the answer, or what. BUT, his record when leading at any point in the game by 11 points or more was 102-1-1 as of the end of the 2005 season, per several sources I searched. That's impressive. Anyways, I hope Meeks brings some fire and 'tude' to our guys. We're overdue to have some...

#26 Steel Panther

Steel Panther

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

I agree with a lot of these posts, guys. What we need is an intimidating, bone-crushing defense. I don't care if you give up a big play downfield...if you hit the receiver so hard his legs wobble when he gets up, you own him...game over!

#27 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

Dey Hate Us Because They Aint Us!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

Great post. Jay Glazer, of Fox Sports News and NFL insider,was interviewed and was asked about Meeks hiring and why the Panthers brought in another Tampa 2 style D-Coordinator..

He said something to the sort of John Fox runs the Defense....Meeks will bring in fresh ideas and will command the room and run meetings....but it will come down to being Fox's Defense. This rush 4 and play zone is a FOX thang as we all suspect. Meeks I think will make them more efficient and fly all over the place.
Glazer is a longtime friend of Fox so I give him a little more credibility when discussing Fox.

I think we are better by 50 % on defense just have Meeks in here. No ones running through a wall for Turgovac.....and it showed. Hopefully it will show next season.

#28 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Great post. Jay Glazer, of Fox Sports News and NFL insider,was interviewed and was asked about Meeks hiring and why the Panthers brought in another Tampa 2 style D-Coordinator..

He said something to the sort of John Fox runs the Defense....Meeks will bring in fresh ideas and will command the room and run meetings....but it will come down to being Fox's Defense. This rush 4 and play zone is a FOX thang as we all suspect. Meeks I think will make them more efficient and fly all over the place.
Glazer is a longtime friend of Fox so I give him a little more credibility when discussing Fox.

I think we are better by 50 % on defense just have Meeks in here. No ones running through a wall for Turgovac.....and it showed. Hopefully it will show next season.

I don't care if they play zone as long as they play it like a zone's supposed to be played, aggressive, ball-hawk, hard-hitting style. Not soft, cuddly, sunshine bear zone defense.

#29 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Let Meeks be the Brain. And Let Beason and Harris become the Might. They are the ones that need to impose their will on the field. Like Ray Lewis has in Baltimore. Beason is the one IMO that needs to become the New leader of the defense. I want him Mean! And With Pep on his way out, Beason can completely take over. Not that Pep ever was a leader, but it was his team according to the Big Cat.(at least that's what JR wanted) So Now the door is wide open for a new guard and I think we have been seeing him take over anyway, might be part of the reason why Pep wants out.

#30 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

"Beason is the one IMO that needs to become the New leader of the defense."

Absolutely!!

#31 The Answer

The Answer

Don't panic, it's organic

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Another Cpt. Obvious post.

:D

#32 jaybee1182

jaybee1182

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

I could care less about bone jarring hits and ending peoples careers if we are winning. Should Beason be like Ray Lewis? Ray has one superbowl a while ago and beats a murder charge the same year, that team has barely been competitive in the last 9 years. We have been up and down but never below 7-9 in that same span and our first beast MLB cant tie his shoes anymore. Beason is ok, natural leader, let him do his thing

#33 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Not that Pep ever was a leader, but it was his team according to the Big Cat.(at least that's what JR wanted) So Now the door is wide open for a new guard and I think we have been seeing him take over anyway, might be part of the reason why Pep wants out.

Interesting theory.

Doubt Peppers would ever admit it even if it were true, but it's something to ponder.

Gantt posted yesterday that the position coaches would likely be in place in the next couple of days. Nothing on day one, and no one mentioned as a potential hire has been signed by anyone else.

We'll see what the next few days bring.

#34 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Do you guys even remember the previous few years when our defense often went for the big hit? Sure, they would smack someone back a few yards, eliciting instant oooh's and aaah's from the fans...at least until the offensive player regained their momentum and ran for another 10 yards or more because we didn't wrap up or make sure he went to the ground. Hard hits are fine, but that's not what wins games or makes defenses great, or even good. It's solid fundimental play that differentiates the good defenses from the bad, not the number of oooh's they get during the game.

Fans like the big hits, and many mistakenly think that is the way to intimidate an offense. However, to counter that thought, how many big hits did Asumagha have for Oakland this year? Not many. Yet, he was one of the most intimidating defenders in the league. Why? Because offenses were afraid to throw his way and changed their gameplan to avoid him. He intimidated with fundimentals, not by jacking people up. Of course, he was the biggest example, but it was the same for pretty much all of the players who play fundimentally sound football (with starter quality talent, obviously). So, give me a team with good solid fundimentals every single time.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Asomugha used to be a regular on ESPN's "Jacked Up" when they had it.

Hard hitting and solid fundamentals are not mutually exclusive. The best defenses have both, and there's no reason why we can't.

One of my big complaints about Trgovac is that fundamentals and discipline declined steadily under his watch.

Edited by Mr Scot, 30 January 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#36 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Not that Pep ever was a leader, but it was his team according to the Big Cat.(at least that's what JR wanted) So Now the door is wide open for a new guard and I think we have been seeing him take over anyway, might be part of the reason why Pep wants out.

Interesting theory.

Doubt Peppers would ever admit it even if it were true, but it's something to ponder.

i think there could be a lot of truth to that. peppers could easily have been one of the focal points of jenkins famous "no heart" comments. He certainly wasn't showing much that season, was he?

if it was peppers team then it could be that his example was to not give it 100% all the time. people said he led by example...it wasn't the example that beason was giving. i don't know that peppers was feeling like the team was passing him by or anything but i do know that i would much rather have the defense led by the hard work of beason, davis, harris, and godfrey. those guys learn all the time how to be better and give it everything they have on the field and off.

peppers doesn't really fit there.