Photo
- - - - -

So, for those with the "one true religion" mentality...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#91 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

I purposely keep a low profile on threads of this topic because very rarely does it conclude to any good.
I prefer to build friendships whether up close or in cyber land. Once that trust is there and someone asks me, then I will delve deeper. It becomes sniper fire and a game of gotcha and ad hoc and ad hominem verbal jousts.
Totally agree on the piety and hypocrisy of "christians". Many do a bad job of being a great example but a far worse job of admitting when they do. That is troublesome.
Right or wrong, once that label is on you, friend and foe alike will watch you like a hawk.
One is looking for just one miss step to reinforce why they don't believe in God or organized religion et al.
While there are others who are kinda sorta searching and hope that person who claims to be a christian can hang on so they too one day can maybe change something in their life.
With the exception of full time social workers and counselors I have spent the last 18 yrs of my life immersing myself in various peoples lives.
I have seen it all with families. From drugs, to incest, physical abuse, to emotional abuse you name.
Some got there without believing in a God. Some while believing in a God.

Some probably don't know this but the word christian is used in the New Testament no more than 4 times. Disciple nearly thirty times more. Why?
Being called a christian at that time was slang or similar to the N word. Not exactly flattering stuff.
So back in the 1st century, there wasn't bumper stickers and the little fish you put on your car or place of business. How you live distinguished you and your convictions.
There literally had to be something in your speech, your interactions with people lesser than your station in life as well as women(Jesus himself opened a new door to the treatment of women at that time).
Today christianity has been cheapened and marginalized. KK is right to some extent. Many go to big churches either to feel good, network, meet a good man or woman or out of guilt or to hear some prosperity gospel.
You got all white churches. All black. All asian, latino, straight, gay, Korean, you name it.

Which brings me to this point. The issue isn't what EVERYONE else is doing or not but rather YOU. What are YOU doing?
We get the science crowd who similar to some christians with thier tradtions etc also hide behind intellect, facts, logic out of fear of something being beyond thier grasp.
Example. Anytime someone mentions UFO's you get a host of thoughts. How? Why etc. But for the sake of this topic, you can't think on your terms as to travel and technology or it will never make sense. I'm not making a case for ET. Just the point of thinking on a different plane.
Each of us gravitate to a comfort zone. Right or wrong we do.
One thing we can agree on is at some point, our time expires. Where when and how we do not know. Some live in dread, others embrace it, while others simply refuse to think it will ever happen.
We will also each have our own time to see how much water our own personal hodgepodge of theories and meshed religion(even if you don't get the tax break as a non profit it can be a religon) hold up. No clever back door at that point. No hold up my bad or I was kidding.
Now, as I have gotten older, I think God can simply say, hey, everybody is in the party. He created everything, he can make up the rules.
If he doesn't exist and I simpy turn into matter(which came from somewhere) then that's cool. Or I come back as a parrot for a hollywood starlet. Ok. Cool.
I have had a varied path. Made some epic bad choices. Hurt people. Avoided significant state prison time. No drug or person I haven't tried or used.
I'm still learning as I go.
One last diatribe. How hollow to not hope for something after this song and dance is up. No hope in that alone will make you age faster than W his last 8 yrs in office.
Again, I hope that after this merry go round the big Conductor in the sky says general admission for all and rock and roll. But knowing what I know, I will choose this path and at worst, live life to the full, make some memories, hopefully impact people and help the poor and oppressed along the way and not just go after my cut.
peace

#92 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hiding behind facts. I like it.

#93 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Glad you read all the way thru. I should have expounded on the facts part. People can hide behind them without making any changes or steps in their own lives.
Many times what is fact today is not so a few years from now. That is what I was driving at for that part.
But also thanks for confirming my sniper point.

#94 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

pstall in a very smart and observant man, I am bout to drop my last words and keep it as that

#95 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Good thoughts, and in response:

Many devoted Christians wrestle with the edict that a person must "name the name" in order to achieve full resurrection, redemption, and eternal life. He that would name the name must have become perfect in himself! How many of Christians can say we have achieved this requirement???

Another reading says: "Magnify that name, that name, that becomes on every tongue that of the crucified one in the manner that self is crucified to the fleshly desires, preferring the spirit of the Holy One before self, and considering your neighbor as yourself." Using this reading's definition of the name, couldn't a person who has heard little of Jesus be "naming the name" if he or she has crucified fleshly desires, preferring God's will over his own, and loving his fellow man as himself? Is the name a word or is it spirit? Is salvation the name "Jesus" or loving God and others as Jesus instructed? Is Christ only Christian or universal? Is God and the manifestation of God among us limited to select souls? Does not God love and seek the companionship of all His/Her children?

As Jesus said (or the Christ spirit with whom Jesus made himself one), "Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and they shall become one flock, one shepherd," John 10:16

Also, Jesus said that he taught and did what he was guided to do from God, the Father, within him. And before leaving us to become completely one with God, Jesus informed us that the "Comforter," the "Spirit of Truth," would come to us and guide us! Not lead us to wait for the end of the world......

#96 stwall

stwall

Jesus Freak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

its simple

First I do not believe Jesus or Christ or Heaven or GOD is limited to Christianity.

I believe and interpret Christ consciousness and the Mind of Christ has little to do with the personality known as Jesus. I believe that Jesus became the Christ - a full manifestation of the Christ consciousness - the perfect union of the human with the divine. It is God's desire for all of humanity to become Christs (or Buddhas if you live in the East). Such a condition will truly bring the Kingdom of God to the Earth. The Book of Revelation is the symbolic story of how humanity in general (and a human in particular) attains this manifestation of the divine! I re-read the Bible with blind eyes and there was more there! I believe John used meditation to obtain his "Vision" and "Gods word" We all know Jesus was a Jew and not a Christian! I believe Jesus is bigger than Christianity! He was filled with Christ which is something we all have the ability to do through meditation, which most of us don't even practice we only pray! And to me Pray = Talking to God and Meditation = Listening.....Try it before you knock it.

God Bless & Warmest Regards
Remember The Bible Has Changed Hundreds of Times, But Christ Like Ways Remain The Same

This is my note I wrote to my facebook bible heads:

I am NOT a Christian, why? Because I believe Christ & God is not limited to Christianity! I have read the entire Bible (King James) and a lot of things do not add up, Jesus’s life story existed thousands of years before he stepped foot on earth(Horus http://www.religious...g/chr_jcpa5.htm ). How can there be eye witnesses when they decided to write and include him in the Bible 30 years later and decided to add miracles such as jona living inside of a fish for three days,….but they wrote about it 30 years after the fact?? That just doesn’t make sense! I believe CHRIST is not a “NAME” but CHRIST is acting out GODs word, and taking care of your brothers and sisters as if you were taking care of yourself. I believe GOD is not in a spaceship or in the sky, I believe GOD comes from within, hence “we are made in his image” and the Kingdom of GOD can be found within, as well has the ability to make your life a living HELL. Christians are some of the most rude and judgmental people I have ever met in my entire lifetime. They do not use logic or common sense, and most of all they do not even read their ENTIRE BIBLE in the first place. They stay in MEGA churches and promote prosperity etc….but Jesus clearly tells them its harder for a RICH man to enter the kingdom, and Jesus also tells us do not praise him but instead follow GOD , I never understood why people call on Jesus before GOD?!? Jesus also never mentioned religion, nor Christianity PERIOD! Most just go to church because their parents made them at a young age.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Seems like you have had a lot of influence from eastern philosophy in your life.

#97 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

Glad you read all the way thru. I should have expounded on the facts part. People can hide behind them without making any changes or steps in their own lives.
Many times what is fact today is not so a few years from now. That is what I was driving at for that part.
But also thanks for confirming my sniper point.

Sorry, I was not planning on writing an essay to respond to your essay.

#98 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

If anyone wants to hear my personal stories or testimonies, I could share... and believe it or not, it's more close to a Christian thing than anything else at all.. They were (well, one in particular) the defining moments in my life that led me to study religion at all after my church rearing childhood...

I would still like to hear this if you are still interested.

#99 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Sorry, I was not planning on writing an essay to respond to your essay.

Riiight. Didn't expect you to. What you responded to and focused on said volumes without the essay.

Its cool man. I won't force anyone to believe what I believe. I'm always open minded and willing to see the other side of the coin as much as possible.
Like I said in my...essay, I will respond and help and do whatever if someone is searching/inquiring.
Otherwise its treadmill banter.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com