Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hepcat

Spread offense QB's in the NFL

He did alot of shotgun because the Patriots did not have a running game that year.

Put our QB in the shotgun too often and you take away the running game....the strongest aspect of our team.

Both teams have increased their shotgun usage as the NFL as the league has changed. Like I said, I would easily wager no teams in the NFL have operated out of the shotgun as heavily as those 2 teams since the NFL started making it a more pass happy league.

Neither team is worried about not having a Panther caliber ground attack like Fox wanted. They want to spread you out........Fox wanted to bring you in. In today's NFL....spreading you out seems like the smart train of thought.......and that would help some of these college kids.

As for the OP, the NFL is becoming less of an under center league than ever before. In fact I heard on the radio that other day that, for the first time ever, 2010 had more snaps taken out of shotgun than under center.

Both teams have increased their shotgun usage as the NFL as the league has changed. Like I said, I would easily wager no teams in the NFL have operated out of the shotgun as heavily as those 2 teams since the NFL started making it a more pass happy league.

Neither team is worried about not having a Panther caliber ground attack like Fox wanted. They want to spread you out........Fox wanted to bring you in. In today's NFL....spreading you out seems like the smart train of thought.......and that would help some of these college kids.

I fully understand your point.

However, I woudl not expect Rivera to go pass happy anytime soon with the strength of this roster being the RB's and run blocking.

Maybe, and this might be hard for some to understand, but just maybe, that is because they have fugging first ballot Hall Of Famers at QB. :mad2:

Maybe, and this might be hard for some to understand, but just maybe, that is because they have fugging first ballot Hall Of Famers at QB. :mad2:

the Matt Cassel season is lumped in that time frame.....shotgun % was pretty comparable to the 07 season.

he wasn't a HOFer.....he was a kid that hadn't played since high school.

Patriots 2007 115.6 rushing ypg - 28.2 rush att/g - 36.6 pass att/g

Patriots 2008 142.4 rushing ypg - 32.1 rush att/g - 33.4 pass att/g

Seems they relied on the run quite a bit more with Cassel at QB. And I highly doubt the percentage of shotgun snaps was even close. If you can find some evidence to back it up, by all means.