Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swarly

Does Greg Hardy get the starting role?

I really like Johnson and like I said I think he does end up back with the Panthers but I am not on board for over paying for a guy that had one good year. It wasn't even a great year, just good.

He is important to the rebuilding plans of this team, that I have no doubt. But if there is a cap, you can not risk the future for a player like Johnson.

And again let me say I expect him to be back, just not banking on it yet.

I agree to some point, I wouldn't give him an outrageous amount of money, but I would overpay him. Like you said, he did not have a "great year (I conisder a great year as: ranked in the top 5 in sacks and tackles among DE's)" but I would go as far in saying that he had a really good year. After all, Johnson did account for about 37% of the Panthers sacks.

This is where the CBA really hurts, because if CJ does leave (which I seriously, seriously doubt) then someone like Robert Quinn becomes much more of a need, OR we could have addressed it in FA.

I really think Johnson and Hardy will bookend a dominant DL in Carolina for the next 4-5 years.

I agree to some point, I wouldn't give him an outrageous amount of money, but I would overpay him. Like you said, he did not have a "great year (I conisder a great year as: ranked in the top 5 in sacks and tackles among DE's)" but I would go as far in saying that he had a really good year. After all, Johnson did account for about 37% of the Panthers sacks.

I think we are on the same wave length. To me there is a difference in just simply overpaying a little for a player to keep them happy and trying to buy their decission to stay somewhere, which by accounts is what the Panthers were willing to do for Peppers. If Johnson wants to leave, it would take more money than is deserved to keep him. I know when I'm in the job hunt there are jobs I know I will only take if they just absolutely overpay me and then there are jobs that I only want a little more than I'm currently making.

This is where the CBA really hurts, because if CJ does leave (which I seriously, seriously doubt) then someone like Robert Quinn becomes much more of a need, OR we could have addressed it in FA.

I really think Johnson and Hardy will bookend a dominant DL in Carolina for the next 4-5 years.

I agree but I think Hardy needed this offseason in order to be ready to start in 2011. At this rate the CBA is going to keep him in rotation for at least one more year.

I think had there been an offseason, Hardy and Johnson would be the starters and Brayton would be released due to his contract structure but now they will have to keep and probably overpay a little for Brayton to keep the experience for 2011 without an offseason.

Johnson outplayed Peppers in 2010, and he had very little help.

Johnson had a good year but he did not outplay Peppers in 2010. Stat sheet doesn't always mean better. Peppers probably put in his best overall season as a pro last year.

Hardy probably isn't ready to be a fulltime starter.......it normally takes DEs a few seasons to be ready to play all downs.

I did'nt say anything about a stat sheet, and Peppers had alot more help than Johnson did, not to mention our D was on the field so much because most of the time the offense could'nt string together 2 or 3 first down's. What did Peppers do that was so much better than Johnson?

I did'nt say anything about a stat sheet, and Peppers had alot more help than Johnson did, not to mention our D was on the field so much because most of the time the offense could'nt string together 2 or 3 first down's. What did Peppers do that was so much better than Johnson?

Peppers did in Chicago last year what Beason claimed he wished Peppers would do. Peppers dominated offensive lines last year......Johnson didn't do that.

that isn't a knock on Johnson. There are very few players that can match Peppers when he wants to play.....and he had one of his best seasons as a pro last year. Johnson's ceiling isn't that high.

I did'nt really watch Peppers so I can't say much. But what I saw out of Johnson made me glad we drafted him. But I think Johnson can be that good in time, with the right guy's on the line with him. Johnson's atttitude is also a big plus for him, I think he's known to be unselfish and a team guy. I also heard he was one of the strongest guy's in the locker room.

Couple things, yea Gettis will be amazing but remember who threw him the ball, yea Clausen. I think they have chemistry to build, Clausen seemed to look his way more than not. Maybe another sign Smitty needs out unless he can handle being #2 more while saying he can less. Just some ideas and opinions to think about. Also Hardy will go down as the best pick value wise and just pick in general for the panthers in 2010. He poo talked his entire rookie season too. He is nasty.

There willl be a short period (probably 1 week) for teams to get their free agents re signed to new contracts. This was a fact brought up by gantt and others, much earlier in the off season.

That being said, hardy has had a year to improve. That means he shouldn't get caught out of position as much as he was his rookie season. Combine that with his ability, I definately feel he should be able to earn thee starting spot opposite of charles johnson.

Johnson outplayed Peppers in 2010, and he had very little help.

Peppers had a better year.

I know all the peppers haters will not admit it. Anyone who watched peppers last year without their panther glasses on could see the impact he had on improving the bears defense.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Icy89