Photo
- - - - -

Panthers pickup former Cowboys CB Josh Thomas.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

the guy sounds like he could be a starter with some good coaching and experience. I think Ron Meeks will be a great guy to coach him and help develop him.

#62 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image

#63 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 thankmills

thankmills

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

"Just cause you got a head like bullet don't make you a big shot". He puts you in the mind of former Panther Ricky Manning, Jr., if he got beat up.

Posted Image

That's not enough.

Willie Green is out of retirement?

#65 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

I certainly don't see him as an upgrade. I'm not even sure he's better than CJ Wilson

#66 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

He should be a very solid dimeback immediately and work his way up. What little research I did on him suggests that he fits into the cover-2 scheme more which is right up Meeks' alley. He isn't our solution for a #2 corner, but being a rookie is just adding weapons to our arsenal moving forward. If we can lock in a #2 corner, all of a sudden our DB situation goes from an achilles to a solid unit.

Gamble
CB acquired by trade
Captain
Thomas

#67 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

Could Hogan still come back?

#68 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Word is, Hurney is going to convert him to a Kicker.

#69 Guest_Setfree1012_*

Guest_Setfree1012_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

To those wondering why he got cut by Dallas even given their questions at corner, it was likely due to money. Newman, and Jenkins make too much money and they knew he wasn't doing to be in the rotation before a guy like Scandrick as well.

I like the pick up, did it blow me away, no; though it did seem like a better addition than our other DB's at the nickel, dime spots.

Not to mention my Madden team looks a bit better at the DB spot too, 88 speed, 67 man, 81 zone, 79 press. Oh, also Brandon Hogan on the virtual grid-iron is a beast he's my #2.

#70 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

I started a thread at the big Cowboys MB to get a better perspective about Josh:

http://cowboyszone.c...d=1#post4087190

*I think we may have gotten someone that is a lot better than we think

Edited by Beach, 05 September 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#71 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Some highlights so far (I asked if he under-performed or was simply a roster spot causality):

"He didn't really underperform at all. Good young player with a lot of upside...we tried to sneak him through to the practice squad but looks like your scouts were paying attention.

I'll definitely be watching him in Carolina this year. I think you guys got a good one on your hands - be excited!"

"I'm not sure if he "underperformed" because I don't think the expectation were too high. What he didn't do was stand out enough to force the Cowboys to keep him on their roster.

FWIW, one local guy (Matt Mosley) tweeted and said the Cowboys "were sick" they couldn't sneak Thomas onto their practice squad."

"Yeah, I would have loved to keep Josh Thomas around for at least a whole off-season, because he really looks like he has the physical skills and the temperment to be an NFL CB. But he's not ready. If the Cowboys thought they could take him active to the game, there's a good chance he'd be on the 53 instead of either Ball or McCann."

"Thomas was one of my pet cats this year, so I obviously don't like losing him. I think he's a tough, physical player who should at least be a quality nickel cornerback and a good special teams player. Lacks speed. That's the big drawback. But he loves contact.

He had the misfortune of getting hurt at the wrong time and lost out in the numbers game. But of all the players we cut he's the one I most wish we'd kept."

#72 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,454 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Nice job.

#73 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,209 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Never heard of him.

#74 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Some highlights so far (I asked if he under-performed or was simply a roster spot causality):

"He didn't really underperform at all. Good young player with a lot of upside...we tried to sneak him through to the practice squad but looks like your scouts were paying attention.

I'll definitely be watching him in Carolina this year. I think you guys got a good one on your hands - be excited!"

"I'm not sure if he "underperformed" because I don't think the expectation were too high. What he didn't do was stand out enough to force the Cowboys to keep him on their roster.

FWIW, one local guy (Matt Mosley) tweeted and said the Cowboys "were sick" they couldn't sneak Thomas onto their practice squad."

"Yeah, I would have loved to keep Josh Thomas around for at least a whole off-season, because he really looks like he has the physical skills and the temperment to be an NFL CB. But he's not ready. If the Cowboys thought they could take him active to the game, there's a good chance he'd be on the 53 instead of either Ball or McCann."

"Thomas was one of my pet cats this year, so I obviously don't like losing him. I think he's a tough, physical player who should at least be a quality nickel cornerback and a good special teams player. Lacks speed. That's the big drawback. But he loves contact.

He had the misfortune of getting hurt at the wrong time and lost out in the numbers game. But of all the players we cut he's the one I most wish we'd kept."

Good to hear. Sounds raw but could eventually become a decent player. His scouting report kinda sounds similar to Hogans (very physical)

#75 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like he has some up side, awesome, we've been good bargain shopper's in the past, it seems to be continuing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com