Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

In-State College Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

103 posts in this topic

I didn't know liberals woke up this early.

Another addition to the enormous list of things you don't know.

Another addition to the enormous list of things you don't know.

Is this list in addition to the list my wife keeps about me? Or is this a seperate list?

The problem with calling these people criminals and thus discounting their education process is that it isn't so black and white. When you were 17, did you pass a speed limit sign saying 45, looked down at the speedodometer registering 54 and didn't make the effort to slow down? Did you ever egg someone's house? Smoke a joint? Those are definance of the laws that have no constructive (positive) outcome to society in general. Now compare that to a child being placed in a possible hostile environment to cross a border and living in fear of deporation just trying to educate him/herself. How many college kids have you met who were only there to party and flunked out? I knew a lot.

Is an ungrateful citizen really that much more important than a humble illegal? Is being a citizen the see all be all of being able to do things in this country?

Murph, I'm not saying keep them out of college. I am saying that they shouldn't get in-state tuition if they are illegal and undocumented. Get a student Visa and pay whatever those rates are, or pay out of state tuition. Take out a loan like the rest of America and spend the rest of your life paying it back.

if they live in a state why should they pay out of state tuition

I'll take it a step further and say the illegal aliens shouldn't be here in the first place. They should not get ANY special benefits or treatments. We can't deport them though, we wouldn't have anybody to mow our lawns.

seriously if they grew up in the state, they were paying taxes in the state, and if they bought a lottery ticket they even paid money directly into education.

if your hang up is that they shouldn't get in state tuition in the state they live in simply because their parents decided to bring them here, you're just advocating unnecessary financial burdens in a legal and admirable path to citizenship.

furthermore migrant laborers pay tax on a higher percentage of their income than do legal laborers. from that perspective they deserve government subsidized services more than anyone!

Once they reach the age of majority (18 in the US) they cease to be able to hide behind the fact that their parents brought them here and they themselves become criminals. They are here illegally and should be deported as soon as they identify themselves as such.

I don't believe that ANYONE should be allowed to attend a institution of higher learning whether it be ECPI, CPCC, UNC, or Harvard if they are not residents of this country or have the appropriate immigration documents. What they pay is irrelevant.

so if a child is one year old when they're brought into this country through no fault of their own, are completely americanized, pay into the system, are intelligent, speak perfect english, and want to further their education in an effort to become a naturalized citizen, which if you had read what the dream act is actually for you'd understand, too bad?

the dream act stipulates that they get in state tuition because they're trying to become a citizen. if they stop being a student, they lose that path. if they complete their degree and attain that citizenship, in retrospect wasn't it worth it?

do you support them getting free food, housing, clothing, and job training, plus at the least HEAVILY subsidized education (far more than simple in state tuition, with the exception of states like georgia, florida, california etc) if they choose to become a soldier for three years in an effort to become a naturalized citizen? seems like that would be a much larger financial drain.