Photo
- - - - -

ACC is overrated.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#16 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

:lol:

Yeah, OK. I'll trust solid stats over anyones "informed" opinions anyday.

http://kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

#17 Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Huddle Pit Master

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

I see that RPI really helped them in the tourney. Stats don't mean poo, that's why there are 65 teams playing.
7 ACC teams made it in now there are 3 left after the first games. At least they can look back at their RPI and pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

#18 PlayMoore!

PlayMoore!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

this thread makes me laugh. So teams have one bad game and lose so now the whole conference is overrated? Take those games where the teams lost and turn it into a best of 3 series and the acc comes out victorious. Since it is a one and done and they played bad they are gone but that absolutely does not mean that the acc is overrated and if you really feel that way then you are ignorant.

#19 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

this thread makes me laugh. So teams have one bad game and lose so now the whole conference is overrated? Take those games where the teams lost and turn it into a best of 3 series and the acc comes out victorious. Since it is a one and done and they played bad they are gone but that absolutely does not mean that the acc is overrated and if you really feel that way then you are ignorant.

I believe all 4 of the teams that lost would lose again to the same teams if they played again. That is what happens to teams that have great individual talent with lesser coaching. The fact that those 4 teams lost should surprise no one, not even the Wake Forest game. A Skip Prosser led Wake team would have been a different story.

#20 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

:lol:

Yeah, OK. I'll trust solid stats over anyones "informed" opinions anyday.

http://kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

RPI can easily be manipulated.

The ACC is a league of great athletes that play an exciting style of basketball although not always fundamental basketball. The problem is, when they face fundamentally sound teams, they often struggle.

There were good teams in Major conferences (not high major aka the Big 6) such as St. Mary's, Creighton, and many others who get fuged every year for these mediocre big 6 teams. They get treated this way because the big schools have a higher fanbase, but I guarantee you that Davidson had more fans in their Elite 8 game last year than any other team in the Elite 8.

There were 4 Non-BCS conference at large bids. :frown2::mad:

#21 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Big East > Big 12 > ACC

Sure the Big 12 has some dogs but there are 5-6 teams that are better than anything the ACC has not named Carolina or Duke.

#22 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

I also notice this trend in the ACC minus Duke and Carolina.
Most of the other ACC teams play dumb, no in game coaching adjustments etc.
And Boston College? Is there not a more boring, bland, non descript PROGRAM in America?
Wake and FSU made a seasons worth of bonehead plays last night and lack of coaching changes.
In OT, Kitchens gets a loose ball, starts running up the court for no reason then knucklehead jumps in the air to call a TO.That rule was changed a couple of years ago so then goofball just throws it up in the air.
Same dude, drives the lane and holds the ball until he gets blocked and AGAIN just throws it up in the air. HUH?
Wake. Man. They blew my mind with how bad they played. There was no gameplan at all.
Lets play YMCA ball and hope no one notices. Ish Smith and Teague had 5 turnovers each all because they had to dribble behind their back. Why?
Now if Wake keeps these guys together and the coach and the team actually play ball next year and grow up a little, they will be a monster.
Clemson. Ogilvy. What in John Wooden's name are you thinking? Heaving up horrible looks and then the elbow? HUH?
Someone mentioned it earlier. Since the expansion, across ALL sports the ACC is awful.
I think going into this years tourney they were like 18-15 in games.

#23 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

The Big East may be a little better, but it's not like they're blowing people out of the water either, aside from Uconn anyway. Hell, who knows what would happen if they all had played each other's opponents? Sometimes, it's more about match ups than seedings.

Wake and Clemson actually seemed to regress as the season went along anyway, so I'm not even that surprised by them losing. You guys definitely have a point about fundamentals when it comes to those teams. I expected FSU to win though. They just plain blew it.

As for BC, who cares? I still have trouble seeing them as an ACC team anyway.

I would actually put Maryland right up there with Carolina and Duke right now, because they got better as the season unfolded. I believe they just ran out of gas a little bit in the ACC tournament.

#24 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

Clemson has followed the same trend the last three years. Strong starts followed by weak finishes. Another season of that and I think Purnell will be shown the door.

#25 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

And of course, Maryland proceeds to make a dumb ass out of me.

Then again, Memphis is making a dumb ass out of a lot of people right now. They definitely deserved a #1 seed.

#26 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Maryland down by 30. 30

#27 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Maryland down by 30. 30

They just couldn't handle the Tall and Lengthy players for Memphis.

#28 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I give Cal credit for the job he's doing there, but he's getting guys that couldn't qualify to play in a REAL league. He snubbed NCS because of their, and ACC, entrance requirements. It's kinda sleazeball like if you ask me.

#29 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

[quote name='pstall']Someone mentioned it earlier. Since the expansion, across ALL sports the ACC is awful.QUOTE]

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. Yes, I will say that the Big East due to it's early tourney results is a better overall conference than the ACC this year in basketball. But if you really think the ACC is awful, you should stop posting here immediatly so we don't have to waste time reading this non sense.

By the way, the ACC has been by far the most dominate baseball conference for the last 4 or 5 seasons.

Lastly, since we're talking about all sports in the ACC, do you really think the Big East is good at anything other than basketball, which it was manufactured to be good at? BE can't hold a candle to the ACC throughout their entire athletic departments.

#30 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Sure the Big 12 has some dogs but there are 5-6 teams that are better than anything the ACC has not named Carolina or Duke.

I also notice this trend in the ACC minus Duke and Carolina.

I keep seeing that a couple of you want to exclude Carolina and Duke from the ACC. Whether you believe it or not, they are still in the conference and until they're not, they alone make the ACC better than most any conference out there.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com