• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

No, floppy disks with spanning software is old school... we used to do that crap back in the mid-ninties before we set up our first LAN. That was also back when files were measured in KB instead of GB.

Oddly enough a coworker of mine had to get my help using spanning software yesterday. Probably had to email something giant.

#17 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,603 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Oddly enough a coworker of mine had to get my help using spanning software yesterday. Probably had to email something giant.

If you didn't use a floppy disk, I don't want to hear about it.

Besides,that's what they make FTP sites for. :D

#18 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

No, floppy disks with spanning software is old school...

Jesus, that was a nightmare. Half the time you'd try to restore from the set of disks and one would screw up on you.

#19 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,603 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

Jesus, that was a nightmare. Half the time you'd try to restore from the set of disks and one would screw up on you.

Yep... and do you remember the first CD writers? It would take like 2 hours to write a disc and 3 out of 4 would bomb 2/3 of the way into writing them. Those were the days...

#20 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Yep... and do you remember the first CD writers? It would take like 2 hours to write a disc and 3 out of 4 would bomb 2/3 of the way into writing them. Those were the days...

Yep!

Worse yet...I have CDs that are close to 10 years old that get all kinds of read errors when I try to get files off them. So much for CDs/DVDs being good archival media. I think I'd rather put files on a hard drive. One where you'd only write to it until it was full. No writing and deleting over and over. Write only when (not connected to a pc).

#21 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,603 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yep!

Worse yet...I have CDs that are close to 10 years old that get all kinds of read errors when I try to get files off them. So much for CDs/DVDs being good archival media. I think I'd rather put files on a hard drive. One where you'd only write to it until it was full. No writing and deleting over and over. Write only when (not connected to a pc).

Are they CD-RW discs or just CD-R discs? I never did get into the CD-RW thing. I always just burned 'em and tossed in the file, even if it was nowhere near being a full discs worth of data. I have some that are like 8-10 years old that seem fine that are CD-R discs.

We've gone completely to hard drive backup. Either external USB or mobile racks for internal HDDs. I don't know what the life of the data is on them, but if it lasts 5 years, I'm good with it. We have SO much data there's really nothing else for us to use.

#22 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Plain old CD-Rs....never did RW either. And they're brand name discs, not the no-name stuff you get at computer shows.

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,603 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Plain old CD-Rs....never did RW either. And they're brand name discs, not the no-name stuff you get at computer shows.

I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with those old burners than the discs. We used to get a lot of read errors on the discs when they were new... back when we were using those first and second gen burners. 2X CD burning is living hell.

They go so fast now, I hardly even notice them... and that's while I'm listening to MP3's, running image processing, and surfing por... uh, the internet.

#24 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I remember when we had one burner out of the PC's we had in our office. Now every PC has two.
One time our purchase guy bought a crap load of cheap cd's and we used them to burn software installs for customers. My install was like 670 MB. Only about 25% of these cd's would hold it the rest would error out. Boy he saved a buck.

#25 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Heh, the trick was to create a separate partition just for burning CDs. Then do a fresh restart and kill every process but explorer and your burning software. Good ole buffer underrun.

#26 Mattiekrome

Mattiekrome

The Feast... Is Mine

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

sneakernet beeyotch!

#27 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

If you want to buy a external harddrive for 80 bucks, so then do it. Don't do it just to move some pictures though.

If your parents have a multiport router (doesn't everyone these days), plug both systems into it, and ftp maybe even use drive mapping. It doesn't cost a thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.