Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panthersphan

Any chance Duke lands John Wall?

198 posts in this topic

This is from Meyers on rivals.com

It has been rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for North Carolina. A rift, however, between UNC coach Roy Williams and Wall's travel team coach Brian Clifton kept Wall and the Tar Heels apart up to this point. But recently it has become more apparent that Wall truly will make his own decision and that he just might prefer to stay close to home and his mother. Hence a phone call from Williams during the Final Four and an eagerness of Wall to meet with Williams.

The thing is that it will take more than a few one and done type of players to get to the top of this league. Wall would not turn them around anymore than Hickson did. They just don't have the depth of talent to benefit and that is the true tell of the tape...Until Lowe can bring in a top 5 class consistently, cause K and Roy will, he's not going to succeed.

The thing is that one player like that CAN bring you a lot of success in one year and with Ryan Harrow possibly CJ Leslie, Luke Cothron, and others in 2010 you will start to see constant success. Sometimes it takes one player to change the way a program is perceived...Hickson was completely different because he was a big man that could not dictate a game. PGs are completely different...

This is from Meyers on rivals.com

It has been rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for North Carolina. A rift, however, between UNC coach Roy Williams and Wall's travel team coach Brian Clifton kept Wall and the Tar Heels apart up to this point. But recently it has become more apparent that Wall truly will make his own decision and that he just might prefer to stay close to home and his mother. Hence a phone call from Williams during the Final Four and an eagerness of Wall to meet with Williams.

Like I said...Jerry Meyer is a tool and thought that Wall was a lock to follow Clifton. He writes his articles almost completely based on rumors and hearsay. John Wall might have been a fan of UNC at one point but it would really surprise me if he was still a "fan" of any team considering he has been courted by every big time school in the country. What kid didn't grow up wanting to play for UNC or UCLA??

He's not the only one who reported that Wall was planning on meeting with Williams. I believe inside Carolina also posted it in a story as well. I'm just posting the info as I see it though, so everyone who doesn't follow recruiting can keep up with everything going on.

He's not the only one who reported that Wall was planning on meeting with Williams. I believe inside Carolina also posted it in a story as well. I'm just posting the info as I see it though, so everyone who doesn't follow recruiting can keep up with everything going on.

But saying "its rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for UNC..." is hearsay...not reporting. It has never come out of Walls mouth that he always wanted to play for UNC. Some say that he grew up as a Tarheel fan but that is hardly something to print....its the same thing as me saying he should come to State because his mom is a huge NC State fan. It just doesn't make any sense to base a decision on that.

John Wall interview. I'll put in some highlights pertaining to recruiting.

Are you starting to feel the pressure about making a college deciison?

Yeah, it's a lot of pressure. Talking to some of these guys, some these guys want me to play with them. I'm getting recruited by [uNC commit] John [Henson], and I'm getting looked at by Carolina, DeMarcus [who is going to Kentucky], I've been talking to him for awhile. Mason [Plumlee] is talking about Duke.

Then Xavier [Henry who is still uncommitted] too. It's pretty tough, it's just going to have to come down to where I feel most comfortable.

Your home state team UNC just won the NCAAs. Does that influence your decision at all?

Nah, not really, you know they haven't really started recruiting me that hard yet. [it's nice] just to see them have so many good players come out lately. But the state of Carolina, Chris Paul I think was the last great player to come out. For them [uNC] to bring it back, to get the state back on this map, and then for me to come up as the player I am, it means a lot.

This is a highlight I would think as well.

There are pros and cons to playing college ball with one of these guys, right? If you play with them you have a great chance to go deep in the tournament. You play without them, perhaps you get more exposure?

It really doesn't even matter about the exposure.

I just want to go to a team that needs a point guard. That's where I'm trying to come in. I'm trying to be the missing piece to a team.

I don't want to come in and be the person they have to go to every key play because for a freshman that would be kind of tough. I wouldn't mind taking challenges but I'm going to be honest, it's going to be a tough one as a freshman, going through so many games, travelling.

So to have some veterans on the team and you come in and be the missing piece, that's going to be [what I'm looking for].

John Wall cancelled his visit to Duke this weekend. :D

John Wall cancelled his visit to Duke this weekend. :D

Oh well....here's to hopes of landing Brandon Knight :boxing_smiley:

Is he still planning on going to Miami? I thought that was his only visit scheduled for this weekend.

Is he still planning on going to Miami? I thought that was his only visit scheduled for this weekend.

John Wall did have a visit set up to go to Duke. It was supposed to happen following Calipari's visit with John Wall.

Evidently, something happened during the Calipari visit that caused John Wall to cancel his visit to Duke. Brian Clifton, John's AAU coach, called Duke and told them that the visit would not happen.

Reports today have Wall saying that he will visit Miami and then take no other visits. While I do trust that John feels that way today, I would not be surprised to see him take a visit to Duke sometime next week. He may not, but then again, he may. There are forces working to get Duke that visit and they could possibly get it done.

Wall's visit to Miami is not something most people seem to be worried about. Sources close to the situation are saying that the visit is not a big deal. It still seems to be UK and Duke, with UK ahead at this point, but things could always change.

The reports that Coach K called off the visit due to a book signing are silly and not accurate. I can't imagine anyone believing that a school so desperate for a PG like Duke would cancel a visit with the top PG in the class. Also, reports that Calipari told Wall "My last PG was just named Rookie of the Year and Duke's PG is trying to make the NFL" are funny, but also not true.

Wall did speak to Derrick Rose yesterday, and what he heard made him very happy based on what I've been told.

At this point, UK fans should feel good, but realize that Duke is a player and could come from behind once again to land Wall. Don't sleep on Duke......

http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/910-premium-basketball/1111-what-is-the-deal-with-john-wall.html

*tips hat*