Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Season's Defense....

50 posts in this topic

Posted

With our current offense there may be some tweaks going into next season..but it appears our major over haul will be defense....what changes do we make?.....Beason will be back but do we keep TD?...need improvements on the secondary for sure and front four...input please...

Posted

I don't see a "major overhaul" coming. Only new starter I could see is WLB and CB. I think we are set at DT with Edwards coming back, the rookies, and Neblett/Kearse for depth. I could see another FA for depth.

Posted

Need new starters at DT, ROLB, CB, and FS

Posted

no major overhaul needed. WLB, CB, and DT upgrades are probably called for,but beyond that i think we are fine.

the major thing that is needed is for everyone to be healthy and for them to go into next season with a year under their belt in the system and a full offseason, which they will have.

Posted

I think the secondary is where we need to bring in some new talent either via draft or free agency...depending on the talent available, LB and DT is a possible move.

Posted

agree but we need another front four like Peppers, Buckner, Rucker, and Jenkins to get that pass rush...CJ yes...but how can we get to that level again....

Posted

I am really hoping that Beason can come back from that injury but statistics are not in his favor to be 100% of the old Beason as much as I hate to admit it. Thomas Davis is also a huge question mark.

I think we go CB then LB but we may be picking to late to pick up a starting caliber CB. I am hoping with a season under there belt that our two rookie DT will come into there own next season.

I believe the secondary is the biggest need so the best play maker available for the secondary would be my first overall pick.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jamos wins.

Posted

I don't get how anyone is comfortable with 'the rookies' at the DT spots. Edwards will be back, but Neblett & Kearse, at this point, are the better DTs on the current team. Edwards is only a stop-gap at best (he's 32'ish, I think). We need at least 1 DT who can collapse the interior & cause some chaos.

CB: We need at least 1 starter for CB. If they know Hogan can tack down 1 side, then we might be okay. Depth is pretty good. Draft a CB, IMO. RJ Stanford is not a good CB even as a 5th option right now.

OLB: I am pretty sure Thomas Davis is back, by way of contract adjustments to limit risk for the team & keep him on. We need to draft a guy for that spot tho too.

FS: I don't see any rush on them getting someone to 'start' there, but we do need depth. At 1 point I thought Pugh might be able to fill that back-up role, but he's not looking like a very good backup even.

I don't see a big overhaul either, but we need some key pieces in the draft & 2nd tier FAs.

Posted

There may not be a need for a huge overhaul at some starting position, but we need a huge injection of talent at every position on defense, including DE. It is time to bring in some draftees and veterans that are going to truly compete for playing time and truly push the starters for their jobs as well as start transitioning some new people in and sending some of the older people not getting their jobs done packing.

I hope we flood that side of the ball with talent from both the FA market and the draft.

Posted

Must haves: CB (draft), LB (probably FA)

Should have: DT (FA or draft). Note that without Edwards, this would become a must have.

Luxury: FS and/or DE.

Posted

I think when someone finally pries some words about offseason roster plans from Rivera, that will be the closest thing to a clue offered from the organization before march or so. probably a ton of competition for all LB spots, and open season on almost every spot. i'm very curious to see how Beason's situation pans out.