#1 carolinapf

carolinapf

The Judge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

With our current offense there may be some tweaks going into next season..but it appears our major over haul will be defense....what changes do we make?.....Beason will be back but do we keep TD?...need improvements on the secondary for sure and front four...input please...

#2 jamos14

jamos14

The Huddle Beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

I don't see a "major overhaul" coming. Only new starter I could see is WLB and CB. I think we are set at DT with Edwards coming back, the rookies, and Neblett/Kearse for depth. I could see another FA for depth.

#3 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Need new starters at DT, ROLB, CB, and FS

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,723 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

no major overhaul needed. WLB, CB, and DT upgrades are probably called for,but beyond that i think we are fine.

the major thing that is needed is for everyone to be healthy and for them to go into next season with a year under their belt in the system and a full offseason, which they will have.

#5 smitty_89

smitty_89

Panther for Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

I think the secondary is where we need to bring in some new talent either via draft or free agency...depending on the talent available, LB and DT is a possible move.

#6 carolinapf

carolinapf

The Judge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

agree but we need another front four like Peppers, Buckner, Rucker, and Jenkins to get that pass rush...CJ yes...but how can we get to that level again....

#7 uncpanther

uncpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I am really hoping that Beason can come back from that injury but statistics are not in his favor to be 100% of the old Beason as much as I hate to admit it. Thomas Davis is also a huge question mark.
I think we go CB then LB but we may be picking to late to pick up a starting caliber CB. I am hoping with a season under there belt that our two rookie DT will come into there own next season.
I believe the secondary is the biggest need so the best play maker available for the secondary would be my first overall pick.

#8 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,589 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Jamos wins.

#9 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

I don't get how anyone is comfortable with 'the rookies' at the DT spots. Edwards will be back, but Neblett & Kearse, at this point, are the better DTs on the current team. Edwards is only a stop-gap at best (he's 32'ish, I think). We need at least 1 DT who can collapse the interior & cause some chaos.

CB: We need at least 1 starter for CB. If they know Hogan can tack down 1 side, then we might be okay. Depth is pretty good. Draft a CB, IMO. RJ Stanford is not a good CB even as a 5th option right now.

OLB: I am pretty sure Thomas Davis is back, by way of contract adjustments to limit risk for the team & keep him on. We need to draft a guy for that spot tho too.

FS: I don't see any rush on them getting someone to 'start' there, but we do need depth. At 1 point I thought Pugh might be able to fill that back-up role, but he's not looking like a very good backup even.

I don't see a big overhaul either, but we need some key pieces in the draft & 2nd tier FAs.

#10 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

There may not be a need for a huge overhaul at some starting position, but we need a huge injection of talent at every position on defense, including DE. It is time to bring in some draftees and veterans that are going to truly compete for playing time and truly push the starters for their jobs as well as start transitioning some new people in and sending some of the older people not getting their jobs done packing.

I hope we flood that side of the ball with talent from both the FA market and the draft.

#11 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

Must haves: CB (draft), LB (probably FA)

Should have: DT (FA or draft). Note that without Edwards, this would become a must have.

Luxury: FS and/or DE.

#12 vorbis

vorbis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

I think when someone finally pries some words about offseason roster plans from Rivera, that will be the closest thing to a clue offered from the organization before march or so. probably a ton of competition for all LB spots, and open season on almost every spot. i'm very curious to see how Beason's situation pans out.

#13 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

Jamos wins.

Spot on....

#14 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

The only 2 starters in the secondary that will stay the starters are Godfrey and Gamble. Martin, Pugh, Munnerlyn, or Butler will not be starting. Hogan will probably be starting next to Gamble, and I see us drafting another CB high in the draft that can step right in. I also see us replacing Martin with someone better.

Greg Hardy should not be starting. Need an upgrade at his position on defensive end. He is good to have in on certain downs but definitely not starting material unless he takes his game to another level. I don't see that happening.
I really believe the rest of the Dline will be fine. I honestly do.

If TD is back he will have to except less money and less playing time. His leadership is valuable though. Still need to draft a LB to start in his place though.

#15 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

I still don't understand the dislike of Greg Hardy. It's just mind boggling. This is his first year as a starter. He has contributed as much as anyone on defense, yet people want him replaced. Man I'm glad this franchise isn't run by people here on the Huddle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com