Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montsta

Stop Online Piracy Act

83 posts in this topic

who comes up with these laws to begin with?

Same old poo. Television corporations donate to certain politicians' campaign, and then said politicians return the favor by trying to push stupid laws that benefit those corporations and screw the rest of us.

So, if I buy a cd/dvd and a couple of my friends want a copy. I am commiting copyright infringement? Thats so stupid. Since I paid for it, that means I own it. Whats so differnt from sharing over the net. Ppl need to wake up. Our freedom is gone and has been that way for a long time.

So, if I buy a cd/dvd and a couple of my friends want a copy. I am commiting copyright infringement? Thats so stupid. Since I paid for it, that means I own it. Whats so differnt from sharing over the net. Ppl need to wake up. Our freedom is gone and has been that way for a long time.

Technically you own the copy you purchased, and had no right to make a copy.

I have notified the proper authorities.

it's not stupid. you paying for things that you like is what allows for those things to be produced. music/movies/software cost a lot of money to produce.

the only freedom that's gone is your freedom to consume with abandon.

unchecked consumption is not a right or a freedom but it is a huge part of what's wrong with society today.

If it is something good (movie, cd, w/e) I still buy the real thing when it comes available to the public in a tangible form...

As an honest consumer, however, one has no control on release dates or any other factor that leads to them downloading something "illegally"...

I think a lot of people downloaded Game of Thrones (second or third most pirated show this past year) and are still going to go out and buy it... Maybe they don't like their cable company and want to avoid paying $15 a month for something that they can get for free now and $50 when it comes out on DVD...

it's not stupid. you paying for things that you like is what allows for those things to be produced. music/movies/software cost a lot of money to produce.

the only freedom that's gone is your freedom to consume with abandon.

unchecked consumption is not a right or a freedom but it is a huge part of what's wrong with society today.

You are a gd slave I see. I bet you love sopa and ndaa. You like the gov all in your life. Be a gd zombie and go right along with the plan. Lol, I can make copies dummie. It says that on the paperwork with the disk. As long as I dont sell them. We got john beans rambo that just loves his freedom taken. Why do you think ppl and web sites are boycotting? Lol, whats is a waste is your life. Lol.

If it is something good (movie, cd, w/e) I still buy the real thing when it comes available to the public in a tangible form...

As an honest consumer, however, one has no control on release dates or any other factor that leads to them downloading something "illegally"...

I think a lot of people downloaded Game of Thrones (second or third most pirated show this past year) and are still going to go out and buy it... Maybe they don't like their cable company and want to avoid paying $15 a month for something that they can get for free now and $50 when it comes out on DVD...

You might, but most don't. They keep the free copy, and never buy one. The artist/game designer/software engineer has a right to profit from his or her work, in whatever legal manner he or she wants to. Downloading copies without their permission is stealing no matter how one looks at it, just the same as if you walked into a store and swiped it.

You are a gd slave I see. I bet you love sopa and ndaa. You like the gov all in your life. Be a gd zombie and go right along with the plan. Lol, I can make copies dummie. It says that on the paperwork with the disk. As long as I dont sell them. We got john beans rambo that just loves his freedom taken. Why do you think ppl and web sites are boycotting? Lol, whats is a waste is your life. Lol.

Exactly what we needed....Another fuging idiot joining this board.

You might, but most don't. They keep the free copy, and never buy one. The artist/game designer/software engineer has a right to profit from his or her work, in whatever legal manner he or she wants to. Downloading copies without their permission is stealing no matter how one looks at it, just the same as if you walked into a store and swiped it.

Exactly.

Theft is theft.....no matter if you steal from a store, or steal on the internet.

1 person likes this

Exactly.

Theft is theft.....no matter if you steal from a store, or steal on the internet.

Though I dont agree, I see your point, but it only makes sense if you download said product.

I dont download anything, I stream my television and movies. If you go to your friends house, and he is watching Game of Thrones, and you sit on the couch and watch it too, is that 'stealing'?

There's an argument to be made that piracy hurts the artist/developer/whatever but there's an equal argument that it can help in the long run. Gabe Newell, a game developer, has done lots of research in game piracy and has come to the conclusion that the main problem is in distributors not listening to their customers and overpricing games. He's made a poo ton of money selling games through steam at discounted prices and he's one of the few that's trying to adjust the industry to reality instead of milking customers as much as possible.

There's a growing trend of people respecting artists and the people that create the content being pirated. There's a solution out there but it's never going to be realized if fat cats keep trying to shove laws down the publics' throat.

Exactly.

Piracy is not theft, it's piracy. Copyright infringement is not theft, it's copyright infringement. It is much more complex than stealing an apple from the fruit stand.