Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JakeFlake

CIA employees won't be tried for waterboarding

25 posts in this topic

Wait, wait.

Does that mean he is not going to let them continue with the time honored practice for gaining valuable intel? :eek:

At least we still have the field phone and clamps to get us by.

Now I gotta remember where I put that battery charger......

I want to take this opportunity to thank cookinwithgas for his new avatar.

BOUT DAMN TIME

As Robert Palmer once said, "I didn't mean to turn you on".

reminder:

if a civilian commits a crime after receiving legal counsel that what they're doing is not a crime, they are still held guilty.

So you want them to fix the problem without mentioning the problem anymore?

Yes. Kind of like the Yankees and Carl Pavano.

• Topics

• Great. That's like putting this guy in charge
    • As far as the OP's question, any OT, Allen (wasn't impressed with him in the playoffs), Lattimore, Charlton and a QB. I'd be happy with Adams, Hooker, Fournette and Howard. I'd love Fournette or Howard.
    • Again, your generalizing people.  While there are plenty of examples of trashy people (lord knows my mother's side of the family is basically a garbage dump of humanity), you can't paint the entire community in that scope.  Like many of the bootstrappers, you say "if I can do it, anyone can."  That's not true. I have a ton of stories of kids with potential, drive, brains, determination who are simply lost due to their demographics and experience.  I know a kid who was from an absolutely horrible situation.  His parents were jailed, raised by his aunt and uncle as a 2nd class citizen when compared to his cousin.  I mean, they provided, but they failed in the love department.  Not quite Harry Potter situation.   He was brilliant, earned a full ride to NCSU, but failed out in the first semester because while he could navigate a crappy neighborhood and poorly supported high school; he was unable to cope with the rich, white world of the majority of NCSU kids.  Culture shock.  Thankfully, he found the military, got his life straightened out, and is stationed in Hawaii and keeps posting these beautiful images of the islands. While it's fairly easy for white people of all income levels to navigate the great world of white culture, minorities and especially minorities from poverty have an extremely difficult time "fitting in" to the greater, whiter world.  It has nothing to do with their work ethic, their intelligence, but simply stepping into a world that is so different from where they are from. Hence why there's a significant amount of internet tension between bootstrappers and those who think it's fine to help those who need some help. What I'm seeing based on his news posts is a general level of ignorance of the people around him.  I mean, I get it, there are many examples on the huddle and in the world of people who overcame adversity, but they are the exception, not the norm.  That dirty word "white privilege," or more accurately "middle class privilege," blinds people to the realities of those outside of their small circles. Now before the angry, poor-to-rich bootstrappers get huffled about being called middle class, how hard was it for you to walk into a bank, talk to people, be taken seriously, and do business?  Despite their relative levels of poverty, they still have an advantage of knowing how to function in the greater, whiter world.