• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#76 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

[quote name='pantherclaw'][quote name='XClown1986:3611848']Am I theresponses in bold.[/QUOTE]

Noted.

I don't think the word stupidity is required here. ill-informed, maybe. Seeing in hindsight, sure. But stupid is a little lax in labeling it what it truly is.

Edited by XClown1986, 14 March 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#77 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Let's see...who have the Giants signed? How about the Pats? Green Bay? Pittsburg?

Patience is a virtue.

#78 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

last time I checked Chris Johnson didn't get a big paycheck to be the 2nd best RB on his team.......

Passing league. None of these elite RBs are helping teams win championships. Rings aren't won today by investing in a backfield and making the ground attack your primary weapon.

Elite RBs aren't on every corner but we have arguably 2 on our roster...and I can't name the last Superbowl champ that had even 1 elite RB on that championship squad.

#79 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

that same DE was coming off 2.5 sacks and speculated health problems...

could of gotten a lot more for Peppers after that season in a trade than we ended up getting.

#80 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Let's see...who have the Giants signed? How about the Pats? Green Bay? Pittsburg?

Patience is a virtue.

those teams all have a ridiculous amount of veteran talent

#81 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,498 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

could of gotten a lot more for Peppers after that season in a trade than we ended up getting.

I thought that might be your response.. but tell me why Fox would trade Peppers for a 5-7th round pick in place of 14.5 sacks when his job was on the line?

#82 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

last time I checked Chris Johnson didn't get a big paycheck to be the 2nd best RB on his team.......

Passing league. None of these elite RBs are helping teams win championships. Rings aren't won today by investing in a backfield and making the ground attack your primary weapon.

Elite RBs aren't on every corner but we have arguably 2 on our roster...and I can't name the last Superbowl champ that had even 1 elite RB on that championship squad.

Ahmad Bradshaw is pretty good. :coolgleamA:

#83 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I thought that might be your response.. but tell me why Fox would trade Peppers for a 5-7th round pick in place of 14.5 sacks when his job was on the line?

who wants players playing who don't want to play for you? Who wants to pay guys 1M per game who want out?

No way we just get a 5th or 7th for Pep either. DEs are too valuable even w/ 1 bad year on the resume.

#84 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,498 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

who wants players playing who don't want to play for you? Who wants to pay guys 1M per game who want out?

No way we just get a 5th or 7th for Pep either. DEs are too valuable even w/ 1 bad year on the resume.

we can debate what he was worth, we can debate why keep a player around who doesn't want to stay, but I think you're going to have a hard time trumping the fact that John Fox was trying to save his job and wasn't about to let 14.5 sacks walk out of the door when the heat was on....

#85 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Patience is a virtue.

They're better at drafting than us, have loads of talent. We have scrubs and overrated players.

#86 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

we can debate what he was worth, we can debate why keep a player around who doesn't want to stay, but I think you're going to have a hard time trumping the fact that John Fox was trying to save his job and wasn't about to let 14.5 sacks walk out of the door when the heat was on....

and I don't doubt John Fox would be willing to do anything if his job literally was on the line.....and it was.

but Fox isn't the GM. GM has to see past more than just the season we are entering.

#87 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Boy, it's hot in here...

I'll take Hurney's style any day. Getting value free agents without throwing the checkbook is the right way to do it. It's worked well in the past. Let's not let the last of the Fox era dictate our thinking now. Not that expect that to take, I just thought I'd throw it out there...

#88 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

thing is we generally don't get the 2nd tier value FAs... or even the 3rd tier. we get the bottom of the barrel scrubs and castoffs that nobody else wants for the bare minimum. if your biggest moves in free agency comes after teams are making cuts then you're probably not doing as much as you can

#89 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

To draft superstars you have to pick early which means you suck.I really did not mean to say we get players only through the draft. I guess I was hoping that we could have restructured enough cap to upgrade a position of need and we still may.

Look at 2003 since that was brought up. Were Davis, Delhomme or Proehl superstars? Both Davis and Delhomme had superstar seasons that year but were not big names. Proehl was a big piece not only for his on the field contributions but guys like Smith credit him with mentoring and teaching the tricks of route running.

If you can get a guy for 30% of the price of a superstar with 80% of the talent you come out way ahead. This is the tortoise and the hare story played out in free agency.

#90 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

thing is we generally don't get the 2nd tier value FAs... or even the 3rd tier. we get the bottom of the barrel scrubs and castoffs that nobody else wants for the bare minimum. if your biggest moves in free agency comes after teams are making cuts then you're probably not doing as much as you can

Well put!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com