It Just Might Actually Happen...
Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:08 AM
Walterfootball's latest mock has it happening and it actually makes a ton of sense. However, the whole notion is completely dependent on three things:
1. The Browns MUST pick Ryan Tannehill 4th overall. This reach would set off a chain reaction allowing the pieces to fall into place for Claiborne to slip...
2. No team picks Claiborne simply because he's the BPA. This is unlikely, IMO, as most teams these days tend to pick players based on need. The possibility remains that the Bucs take him for this reason, even though they feel they've addressed the CB position with Ronde returning, Talib still around, and Eric Wright signed. The Dolphins simply do not need a CB and wouldn't take Claiborne, IMO. The Rams just signed Cortland Finnegan and need a WR badly. The Jags also signed some guys at CB and likely prefer to go OL or WR.
3. Nobody trades up ahead of us once Claiborne begins to drop. This is the wild card. Once he makes it past the Rams a team like the Cowboys could attempt to move up and both Jax and Miami are prime teams to trade down.
If those 3 things happen - and it's very possible they do - Morris Claiborne will be a Panther at 9th overall. Way I figure:
1. Colts: Luck, QB
2. Redskins: RG3, QB
3. Vikings: Kalil, OT
4. Browns: Tannehill, QB
5. Bucs: Richardson, RB
6. Rams: Blackmon, WR
7. Jags: Reiff, OT/Floyd, WR
8. Dolphins: Coples, DE/Ingram, DE/Reiff, OT
9. Panthers: Jack-fuging-pot!
Or something like that. I'm actually optimistic now about the chance of this happening. Never thought he'd make it out of the top-5, but things have come together so perfectly it just might be on the verge of happening.
Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:00 AM
Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:43 AM
Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:11 PM
Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:56 PM
Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:17 PM
Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:21 AM
Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:17 AM
Browns: Justin Blackmon, WR
Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB
Rams: Riley Reiff, OT
Jaguars: Quentin Coples, DE
Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB
Panthers: Morris Claiborne, CB
The Browns BADLY need a QB and there are no other free agent/trade options out there that make sense. There also aren't any Andy Dalton type 2nd round talents in this draft so if they want to take a QB it has to be here as Tannehill won't make it to their late 1st rounder. I really think they'll be forced into taking him based on a huge need at the position despite better players being available.
The Bucs just signed Ronde Barber back and gave Eric Wright a ton of money. They wouldn't have done that - and signed Vincent Jackson - if they were intent on drafting Claiborne or Blackmon. I think these moves were made to free them up to draft Trent Richardson. Their new coach is a college guy; to him, the running game is still king and I really think he wants the best RB in the draft to pair with Blount for a ground & pound style offense.
The Rams will have their pick of either Blackmon or Reiff as it's doubtful the Browns take Blackmon (Holmgren doesn't like taking WR's that high) and the Rams have the same primary needs as the Jaguars, who pick right after them. Whichever player the Rams don't take, the Jags most likely will. Corner isn't a huge need for them - surrounding Blaine Gabbert with talent is and they hired an offensive coach, too.
The Dolphins will take Tannehill if the Browns don't, IMO. Mike Sherman is their new O.C. and was Tannehill's coach in college and they missed out on the other viable options. But if the Browns do take him the Dolphins are pretty set at CB with Vontae Davis & Sean Smith and need a pass rusher much worse. Quentin Coples fits the bill here, IMO.
See? It's not such a stretch when you consider the unique situations of the teams involved. I really think it's going to happen, which is a shock considering I would have never said that weeks ago. But I really think things have fallen just right for us to get Morris Claiborne at 9th overall. The only concern I have (other than Cleveland taking Trent Richardson and therefore leaving the Bucs little choice but to take Claiborne) is a team like the Bills or Cowboys trading up ahead of us once he begins to drop.
But yeah, I think this is going to happen. What a steal it might be if we can get this guy and play him opposite Gamble with Munnerlyn in his natural slot position and Hogan as great depth.