Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Shirley Could Be The Odd Man Out In Dt Battle.

From all the FO interviews.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#136 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Seems to me that Shirley was better at disrupting and making plays (the role of a 3 tech so I hear) in less action than McClain and Neblett. Production > "skill set" or whatever other bullshit you come up with

Shirley has also been in the league 3-4 more years then both of them.

Do you think that might have helped?

#137 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I get what you are saying, but you basically took him out of the running because of guys who fit the mold. Some guys on here jump to the conclusion that bigger guys are mandated to NT, for example "player x can't play the nose he is only 300, player y is 350 he should play there." IF I mistakenly put you in that group I do apoligize, but I feel as though Shirley has to at least have consideration at that spot based on his on field performance vs McClain and Neblett's at that spot.

#138 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Strategically why not have Edwards or Kearse at the nose getting doubled and have shirley at the 3 providing a pash rush that is as good or better than the other DT's and being an immovable object facing a single for the most part in the run game.

#139 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

HUDDLER

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Strategically why not have Edwards or Kearse at the nose getting doubled and have shirley at the 3 providing a pash rush that is as good or better than the other DT's and being an immovable object facing a single for the most part in the run game.

Because you still have more speed in the interior of your line with McClain and Nebblet.

#140 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

HUDDLER

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

I honestly can't fathom why anybody would want to give up on any young player after one seasom.
Not to mention a couple of young defensive tackles. If anyone tried to tell me that they expected a third round defensive tackle to start his rookie season, and even play half way decent, I would ask them to lay down the crack pipe.
Most fans won't give up on third year players that have shown less than out pair of young tackles.

Tbey didn't have good rookie seasons no poo
Why did you expect more?
Did they have good OTAs?
They didn't have any OTAs?

It also takes most defensive tackles a year or two to develop? Even the over rated Kris Jenkins didn't come into his own until his third season?

Just say it ain't so!

Let's see how our talent develops.

#141 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Shirley has also been in the league 3-4 more years then both of them.

Do you think that might have helped?

Good point, McClain and Neblett do need more time to develop and it is somewhat unfair to compare them to a guy with two and three more years experience. Those guys have potential to contribute and I do not want to execute them for not performing well last year. Shirley played better in the games and was more disruptive, but the other guys could become better at disrupting plays than him. From what I saw last year however, it is ridiculous to say our 3's will be McClain or Neblett as our only options when Shirley did better in that role last year. FWIW I hope McClain comes out balling next year, I wanted him in the draft and believe in his abilities so if he busts I am going to feel like a failure as well.

#142 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Just keep all 6...there's likely to be an injury anyways

#143 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Bump