Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any runners on here? I'm in need of some help.

50 posts in this topic

Posted

May or may not be relevant... my shinsplints came mostly from poor form. My poor form was the result of unbalanced training (for example, working the muscles I stare at in the mirror while ignoring the other muscles)

Easy solution to that: yoga.

Posted

I've been stretching and I've tried 3 different pairs of shoes. I stretched for around 30 minutes this morning and it didn't really help at all. Do shin splints hurt all the time? Because my leg only really hurts while I'm running or walking immediately after the run.

Posted

When I first started running again..my shins would be sore..I'd ice them..have you tried that?? It worked very well for me. how long are your strides?? how fast are you running?

Posted

shin splints are what cut my marathon training short a couple of years ago. :(

They just wouldn't go away.

Posted

When I first started running again..my shins would be sore..I'd ice them..have you tried that?? It worked very well for me. how long are your strides?? how fast are you running?

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know stuff like that mattered lol

Posted

How long is a typical run, how long does it take you?

Posted

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know stuff like that mattered lol

too long of a stride puts all your landing impact on your heels..in turn..shin splints and knee problems.

http://www.sideofsne...running-stride/

http://www.runnerswo...-8163-0,00.html

this may not work for you..but it worked for me. I have only run one good run in my minimalist shoes..it's definitely something you have to ease into..but I run this way in my normal sneakers just fine.

food for thought :)

Posted

I'm a high impact runner due to some stride issues. I land on my heel quite a bit and I can't really seem to shake it. And I will never perfect my stride because of some "balance" issues. However, I have never ran into so much pain that I could not run.

How long, how far, and how often are you running? Are you sprinting, or are you lightly jogging (barely over a walk)? Zod probably nailed one of the issues. You probably should rest your legs as well. It is possible they are just not used to all the stress. Also, do you run on concrete, pavement, dirt, gravel, grass, etc.?

All of these are pertinent questions and could be related to your issues.

Posted

Trail Runner Nation on iTunes podcast is a great entertaining look into ultra running. Okay, so none of us are on that level but they mainly talk about the fundamentals of running and give some good advice. Theres been some good advice on here already but I would try riding a bike 10 miles or so before you start tearing your knees apart too. Maybe the first tailgate can go towards a toys for tots tricycle for you. It could just be a mental issue too, sometimes if your just getting into your run, you need to power through it. If you dont like the whole long distance thing....go to a gradual incline hill and sprint about 20 yards x amount of times. Do some body weight exercises. Eventually you'll get your legs back to shape. REST IS KEY.

Posted

Run up steep hills. It teaches you to land on the front of your foot while relaxing those muscles.

Posted

too long of a stride puts all your landing impact on your heels..in turn..shin splints and knee problems.

http://www.sideofsne...running-stride/

http://www.runnerswo...-8163-0,00.html

this may not work for you..but it worked for me. I have only run one good run in my minimalist shoes..it's definitely something you have to ease into..but I run this way in my normal sneakers just fine.

food for thought :)

Sneakers? Where are you from, Rochester? :D

Posted

:) You know...I did date a Yankee for 4 years a looooong loooooong time ago...guess he rubbed off on me in more ways than one.. RAWR!