#1 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

http://www.caller.co...acy-cam-newton/

Entering the NFL, Newton had a lot of skeptics attached to him. On top of the character issues that plagued Newton, he also had to battle the dreaded “he came from a spread offense” label that can ruin most NFL careers before they ever take off. He was a running quarterback, and he didn’t take snaps under center; this, to many, meant that he was another bust waiting to happen. To make matters worse, race became a subject attached to Newton before the draft by way of his mentor, Hall of Famer Warren Moon. Carolina looked past all of it and, despite picking Jimmy Clausen the previous season, took Newton first overall.

What followed would silence critics all over.

Cam Newton responded to his critics by pulling off the greatest rookie season of any quarterback ever. Think about that.

Widen your gaze and let that sink in. Cam Newton had a better first season than Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, everyone. He beats out every other rookie season by every other quarterback ever.

#2 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Damn good read, thanks for posting.

#3 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Great article! If I had seen your post, I wouldn't have just started a new thread on cam.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,534 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

i love the way that article begins....

“…one-year producer, limited field vision, spotty accuracy.”
– Nolan Nawrocki, Pro Football Weekly

i love this as well.

You could say that fellow rookie QB Andy Dalton had a better season because the Bengals won more games and went to the playoffs, and you’d have a somewhat valid argument just based upon the fact that the ultimate measure of success is wins and championships, but there’s a distinct difference between the two QBs that will play out long-term. Dalton is a nice quarterback and should have himself a nice career, but the difference between the two is that Dalton is good enough to win a fair share of games, while with Newton, you have to gameplan to stop him. You could technically say that same thing about previous QBs “like” Newton, but the difference between Newton and guys like Michael Vick, Vince Young and previous mobile QBs, is that Newton is the first one to statistically master the art of throwing AND running. There is no historical precedent for what Newton did last season through the air and on the ground.

it almost sounds like he's talking to one of a couple posters that aren't worth mentioning by name...

#5 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

If that article doesn't get you hyped, I don't know what will!

It's refreshing to hear praise heaped upon our new QB by an opposing beat writer.

#6 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,534 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

oh...and the end of that article...
right on target

Nolan Nawrocki’s scathing report on Cam Newton before the 2011 Draft was an appropriate piece at the time. Newton didn’t have many backers and one could honestly wonder whether or not he was the next JaMarcus Russell or Vince Young. After his first season, Nawrocki, and those who opposed Newton, are clinging to their shreds of dignity now. If Newton repeats his 2011 performance, or exceeds it, he will not only have proven his naysayers wrong, he will have changed the game. With a successful Newton, defenses will adapt, new schemes will come into play, and quarterbacks of similar tools will be bred.

I don’t care about Cam Newton’s past. I was once a Newton naysayer and I’m not ashamed to admit it. The hype, the controversy and the circus were enough to convince me that he wasn’t going to make it. I was wrong, and I’m glad I was. In Newton, the game is already different to me. He transcends the Carolina Panthers and the Auburn Tigers and the Heisman. He could become an NFL icon much in the way Michael Jordan was an icon to basketball. Pretty soon, you begin to transcend your sport. Sophomore slumps are reserved for normal athletes, and normal players. Andy Dalton may struggle in 2012, but I just can’t see Cam Newton regressing in a way that erases 2011.

#7 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Cam took a team of scrubs at Auburn and made them winners/national champions. I can only imagine how bad the talent was in Carolina before Rivera took over. Yeah you had some bright spots, but obviously not much in depth, as was exposed by injuries last year. If everyone stays reasonably healthy, this kid will lead you to the promised land.

If I was Chud I would never leave. I'll always remember Buddy Ryan - Asst Coach of the Bears, more than I remember Buddy Ryan - Head Coach.

Watch this video by Trent Dilfer about Cam

#8 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

"I just can’t see Cam Newton regressing in a way that erases 2011."

Defenses will be figuring out what it takes to stop him, but they'll realize it's against the rules to put in 15 players on D.

#9 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,374 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

In that game alone, he had an unreal feel for “The Moment” and always seemed to execute when the Texans needed a lift. As a personal testimony, that was pretty riveting. His end game stats don’t seem spectacular (13-23, 149 yards, 2 TD / 7 rushes, 55 yards), but within those numbers was a smooth operation that Houston’s defense just couldn’t stifle.

That may be the greatest praise I've seen given to Cam Newton for a game that wasn't an off-the-charts success on the stat sheet.

#10 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

that was a good article, nice find!

#11 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,589 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

That was/is the best piece I've read on Cam Newton.

The fact it was written by a beat writer of another team is also what makes it so great.
A completely unbiased opinion, well written.

#12 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

real good read....

#13 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

That may be the greatest praise I've seen given to Cam Newton for a game that wasn't an off-the-charts success on the stat sheet.

Yeah I remember Skip Bayless bringing up how Cam stunk at the end of the season because he didn't pass for 300 yards. I hate that guy so much.

#14 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Cam is unstoppable. If you stack the line to stop runs, he will put the bomb on you gor 20+ yards. If you drop a bunch of guys into coverage you will get gashed by Him, J-Stew, D-Will, Tolbert. Also, they will always have an LB spying him, so that's already one guy out of your defensive picture.

#15 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,812 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Nolan Nawrocki was and still is a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com