Photo
- - - - -

Pennsylvania Republican Mike Turzai explains the goal of his state's Voter ID laws for us

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

There those big government lovers go, forcing people to buy something just so they can exercise their constitutionally protected rights. They just love raising taxes

#17 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,903 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

There those big government lovers go, forcing people to buy something just so they can exercise their constitutionally protected rights. They just love raising taxes

We are talking about an ID, not $5 trillion in new healthcare taxes. Just include an ID program in Obama care. That way it's "free". Right?

#18 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Aparently, government mandates to purchase things are now legal, so all we need is a government mandate to purchase a Photo ID, and the problem is solved.

Also, I don't know about all the states, but I know the proposed NC law would have provided them free of charge. Still wans't good enough for those that oppose it.

#19 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'm fine with it either way, it is a bit excessive (for those with multiple forms of existing ID) but its 2012, you should have some form of ID with your picture on it

#20 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,394 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Your voting right is constitutionally protected, BUT the rules to vote are set by your state. Nothing "prevents" anyone from voting.

#21 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'm giving this from an African-American perspective (not saying its right, but I do want to give that side too)

The ID laws reminds many of us of oppression, in particular for when we were largely prevented to vote (even up until the 60s). This ID law most likely elicit those feelings, hence the staunch opposition from African Americans. Lots of people (especially the older ones) don't have IDs (as many tie them into driver licenses).

What I feel this ID law thing supports is that everyone's vote counts equally, as if they decide elections. In very, very rare cases, I feel the vote (especially on a national scale) gets that close, to the point where fraudulent votes can alter the election. The law can make sure every election is as equal and fair as possible, not allowing those to vote who use these fraud IDs.

Two things I wonder though: 1) counterfeit IDs are made all the time. What safeguards will be in place to prevent the use of those IDs to vote? What's stopping someone from using those IDs to vote, if they're also using it for alcohol, tobacco, and other things?

2) Wouldn't this force people to buy IDs? It seems like you're effectively charging people a tax (the ID fee) in order to vote.

#22 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,394 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

NC would provide free IDs. Most states that have the laws have written into law that the state would provide these free of charge. To avoid any semblance of being construed as a poll tax.

#23 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,903 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

@tarheelpride

There was a new precedent set last week on taxes, so a $1 ID card tax wouldn't matter much. I can't speak to an African-American's viewpoint because I'm white and can't point to a history of oppression. I won't pretend to act like I know what's best. However, here is an article written by an African American that speaks to some of your points.
http://m.townhall.co...s_its_necessary

#24 dr_rock

dr_rock

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I thank people when they ask to see my Visa card or id.

I do the same.

#25 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

They should just force people to get RFID chips and scan those when you vote.

#26 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 19,903 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

They should just force people to get RFID chips and scan those when you vote.

Only if we can choose where to have them embedded.

"RFID chip sir?"

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

#27 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Only if we can choose where to have them embedded.

"RFID chip sir?"

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

lol, the old women that run my precinct would love that

#28 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I agree that if the government is going to require id's, they should provide everyone with a voterid card. Actually though, they do. At least I got one from my home county but it doesn't have a picture on it. But that, along with some other form of id, such as a birth cert, or even one of those old bibles with birth records should suffice.

That being said, I think both sides make to big of a deal out of this issue.

#29 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think that voter IDs should be free, that way no one can have a serious argument about it affecting votes of not.

Set up an ID making machine outside the polls. People who go to vote, who dont have an ID, can get one made while they are waiting in line at the polls.

#30 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

What's wrong with voter ID? Somebody casting a vote in an American election should have to prove they are eligible to vote.

I don't have a problem with voter ID. We have it here in AK.

But let’s not kid ourselves; this is primarily about disenfranchisement as indicated in the OP. It is happening nationwide where ever the GOP is in control. It is for the most part disenfranchising those demographics that traditionally vote for the Democrats and has the real potential of swinging close elections that would otherwise go to the Democratic candidate.

If you want to pass a law requiring Picture IDs and allow several years to comply I'm on board. If you want to require it for the next national election when there is no verified evidence of significant voter fraud in this country, I will call it like it is, a ploy by the GOP to steal the upcoming election.

Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Threatens To Disenfranchise Nearly 10 Percent Of State's Voters

"Voter ID -- which is going to allow Gov. [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania -- done," Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader Mike Turzai told a group of cheering attendees at a Republican State Committee meeting.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1652469.html

More than 758,000 registered voters in Pennsylvania do not have photo identification cards from the state Transportation Department, putting their voting rights at risk in the November election, according to data released Tuesday by state election officials.

The figures - representing 9.2 percent of the state's 8.2 million voters - are significantly higher than prior estimates by the Corbett administration. Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele has repeatedly said that 99 percent of Pennsylvania's voters already had the photo ID they will need at the polls in November.

The new numbers, based on a comparison of voter registration rolls with PennDot ID databases, shows the potential problem is much bigger, particularly in Philadelphia, where 186,830 registered voters - 18 percent of the city's total registration - do not have PennDot ID.

http://articles.phil...-voter-id-cards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com