138 replies to this topic

#121 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Still not comparable to a KNEE INJURY to any player. We're talking about a CB, a position that has to sprint, pivot, stop on a dime, and make all sorts of contortions.

Besides, Stewart's toe injury never had the potential to be debilitating like Hogan's ACL tear did.

Apparently some people don't understand "degree" or "severity".

I don't know about that toe injuries can be very debilitating. A toe injury ended Deion Sanders' career. I've had both and tbh once I was fully recovered from my ACL tear i was fine. My toe on the other hand still gives me problems til this day and it's been 3 years.

#122 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Did the team really bring Hogan in for an evaluation before the draft?

I don't know but I am sure that since he had surgery and it wasn't a secret or surprise, they talked to the doctors and had a medical evaluation of his surgery and recovery. I would expect they also talked with everyone they could. I am sure they knew where he was in his recovery and how he was doing in his rehab.

#123 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

People talking about "just a toe" have obviously never done anything remotely athletic nor do they understand/appreciate how much force you generate with "just a toe"

#124 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

There are no guarantees. Most players that are drafted don't have major injuries, and they NEVER BECOME ANYTHING special.

All that's irrelevant.

The fact is the Panthers needed immediate help at corner. Fact is Hogan had an ACL tear and from the moment he was drafted he was destined for injured reserve. Fact is he wasn't the only CB available in that draft. Fact is there were others who didn't enter the league on IR. Therefore, Hurney should've drafted a CB that didn't enter the league on IR.

How many 4th rounders start right away which is what you are suggesting?? Truth is that if we needed a corner immediately we would have taken one higher but instead took 2 DTs in the third for example. Obviously we didn't think it was the issue you do. And obviously we didn't think it was in 2012 or we wouldn't have waited until round 5. Most times fourth rounders are somewhat projects who are developed for the future. So whether you pick a guy who has talent issues or you get a guy with plenty of talent who dropped due to various issues such as injury, not a great work ethic or whatever, you know that if they start within a year or two it is a bonus. So Hogan was not a waste of a pick at this point.

#125 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,297 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

People talking about "just a toe" have obviously never done anything remotely athletic nor do they understand/appreciate how much force you generate with "just a toe"

esp. for an RB. that can be an easy career killer.

#126 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Silly thread is silly.

#127 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

I repeat, I'm not NAMING squat, not looking up any names, because I don't care "WHO" else they would've taken. All that matters is THE FACT THAT there were other CBs who hadn't had ACL surgery. This has never been about "WHO" because I don't give a crap about Brandon Hogan or any other CB that was drafted when he came out.

All that matters is THE FACT that every CB that came out in 2011 hadn't had ACL surgery. What their names are is less important than that. If none of them had names, that would still be a fact.

There are a lot of reasons why players don't excel. Doesn't mean they couldn't have if they were in a different situation.

Just because there were other CBs that didn't have an ACL surgery still doesn't make them better.

How do you know no other CBs in the draft have had ACL surgery???

#128 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

having the oracle on ignore is one of my better huddle decisions and will prove even more so once the season starts and he begins bitching about every little detail.

#129 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,539 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

TheOrifice

#130 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,643 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Gave Otah 3 years to early to throw the towel on BHog.be mad at Hurney for putting his eggs into one basket,not for taking a chance on a guy with some talent.

#131 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

My toe on the other hand still gives me problems til this day and it's been 3 years.

If I had a toe on my hand it'd probably give me problems til this day too.

#132 Shermdog

Shermdog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Why did I just read all of that??? Damn.

#133 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

So we drafted a CB that might have had starting potential if healthy rather than drafting someone who will likely just ride the pine and somehow we're worse for wear?

Sounds legit.

#134 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

I was running once bear foot up my stairs in my house to get my cordless phone, and my big toe nipped the stair and my folded as i but all my weight down, that poo hurt like a motherfuger... I couldnt walk right for at least a month, and the pain went away after a a few months. Never went to the Doc, but I tell you this, I could barely walk on it, let alone run....

#135 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

First and foremost, you shouldn't have drafted a player who just had an ACL surgery AS IF HE WAS THE ONLY PLAYER LEFT IN THE DRAFT AT THAT POSITION. That's the problem. There were other CBs who hadn't just had ACL surgery, therefore, Hurney must like getting broken stuff and trying to fix it. Apparently, he's more of a "gambler" than he lets on.

There were about 250 persons in the United States that could have been drafted at that point. I assume the reason you draft any one of them over the others is that you think they're a better player. I've never had knee surgery, would I have been a better pick than Hogan? Hurney drafted Hogan because he thought Hogan was a good player. It was a 4th round pick, you're supposed to take chances with 4th round picks. The average 4th round pick doesn't contribute much, so if you find a guy that could be a star if he stays healthy, it's a smart gamble. And, again, Hogan's career ISN'T OVER YET. Ya'll are just looking for any reason to be negative about the organization right now, blasting a fourth round pick because he's missing practice in August.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panthers Camp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com