• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#121 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Didn't hear that. Must be a different instance.

#122 tgrfan01

tgrfan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...back-cam-newton

#123 NineOhTheRino

NineOhTheRino

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

talk about ironic.

89 is not the man to tell someone about maturity

#124 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

It doesnt hurt me a bit.
Cam's ego is starting to go out of control.

Its time Smitty put him on a reality check.
Smitty will never win a Super Bowl bc of poor decision on JR part.

For a change I agree with you....

The play were he tried to yank the ball back from Dwill was ridiculous, if we are ever gonna be truly great he needs to stop with the "Me First" attitude... this is a team sport.

#125 Green Eggs and Cam

Green Eggs and Cam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

For a change I agree with you....

The play were he tried to yank the ball back from Dwill was ridiculous, if we are ever gonna be truly great he needs to stop with the "Me First" attitude... this is a team sport.

You're obviously not very familiar with the read option. The entire point is to stick it in the RB's gut, read the defensive end, and then either pull the ball back or continue with the handoff. Tuck (or Osi, not sure which) played it perfectly so Cam couldn't get a read on him until it was too late. Deangelo made a good cut to get around the DE, but Cam actually should have kept it. That's what he was trying to do.

#126 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

You're obviously not very familiar with the read option. The entire point is to stick it in the RB's gut, read the defensive end, and then either pull the ball back or continue with the handoff. Tuck (or Osi, not sure which) played it perfectly so Cam couldn't get a read on him until it was too late. Deangelo made a good cut to get around the DE, but Cam actually should have kept it. That's what he was trying to do.

I'm very familiar with it, maybe you are bind but last I checked his actions would have been to little to late, all he did was increase the chances of both of them losing the ball, we need to bring back the damn I formation any good defense will have no problem stopping the read option it is a college level scheme that will not work in the NFL long term.

#127 Green Eggs and Cam

Green Eggs and Cam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm very familiar with it, maybe you are bind but last I checked his actions would have been to little to late, all he did was increase the chances of both of them losing the ball, we need to bring back the damn I formation any good defense will have no problem stopping the read option it is a college level scheme that will not work in the NFL long term.

Don't credit that to a "me me me" attitude though. The man was trying to make a play. I will agree that it was too late and was probably a bad decision. The DE just held containment perfectly on both of them until the last second. I think it can work, but just not as the primary running formation. Mixed in, with a QB like Cam, it can be deadly.

#128 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Maybe Alex Smith was on to something ;)

This

#129 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Smitty deserves a better team. HOF talent and he'll be forgotten in 8 years.

We haven't forgotten Moose, why would we forget Smith. Smith is the best WR the Panthers has ever had, he won't be forgotten but he is HOF bound...

#130 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,003 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

We haven't forgotten Moose, why would we forget Smith. Smith is the best WR the Panthers has ever had, he won't be forgotten but he is HOF bound...

Not by us, by NFL fans. He's also not HOF bound, sadly.

#131 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Don't credit that to a "me me me" attitude though. The man was trying to make a play. I will agree that it was too late and was probably a bad decision. The DE just held containment perfectly on both of them until the last second. I think it can work, but just not as the primary running formation. Mixed in, with a QB like Cam, it can be deadly.

Mixed in yes it can work, as our primary running play being used 10-15 times per game it will fail, especially when you are playing a defensive line like the Giants.

Also it sure didn't help starting Gary Williams at RT he was over matched all day long... mental lapses or not we should have had Campbell playing RT last night he could have at least matched up athletically with them, am I the only one who noticed Williams arms are far to short to play tackle.

#132 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Not by us, by NFL fans. He's also not HOF bound, sadly.

He's not HOF bound by you sadly, but he is by me. I guess we'll find out in time.

#133 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I love me some Smitty, but all he's managed to do here by not keeping it between himself and Cam is elevate his OWN status and reputation and give the national press all the fuel it needs to continue to trash his quarterback's.

So if that was his goal, mission accomplished.

If his goal was something other than that, then he did it wrong, period, end-of-story.

http://sports.yahoo....55148--nfl.html

The haters are having the time of their lives now. I bet Nolan Nawrocki and his ilk are grinning from ear to ear. "See... toldja. Thanks Steve Smith!"

#134 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

This whole situation is so jacked up... I didn't see this anywhere else and just now found it in the ESPN article. I searched to see if it was already in this thread and didn't see it, so here it is:
http://espn.go.com/n...back-cam-newton

Gross, a longtime teammate of Smith's at Utah and with the Panthers, said he doesn't have a problem with Newton's demeanor. And he didn't think anything needed to be said about Newton outside of the locker room.

"Cam wears his heart on his sleeve and you know how he's feeling based on his actions," Gross said. "He wants to win as much as anybody, and when we don't, he takes it to heart. I would like any of my teammates, if they're upset about things, to talk it out with us in the locker room, and know that we're all in it together."

Smith knows he might take some criticism for calling out Newton, but doesn't care. Smith said he hopes the lesson will pay off for Newton down the road when he's retired and the quarterback is setting NFL records.

"If this is something wrong for saying that, well, I'd rather be wrong and one day during his long career he goes, 'Ah, I hated to hear that, but maybe that's what Smitty was talking about,' " Smith said.

I don't blame Smitty, but Smitty is a different kind of guy. But, I also understand where Gross is coming from. Either way, our locker room is fractured right now.

#135 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

talk about ironic.

89 is not the man to tell someone about maturity

Win a playoff game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com