Photo
- - - - -

Giants game revisited. A few surprises emerge...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

The towel is the most useless observation the 'analysts' make. Mostly because like the OP said, he has on when he wins AND when we lose. After TDs AND ints.

#17 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

The giants oline was beastly while ours was collapsing on the right side. Very thin there

#18 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,712 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

Good post...doesn't change my opinion. Hurney needs to go.

#19 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Good post Mar...

I'd like to add on to your point about Rivera and his comment about being unhappy with the soft zone.

I mentioned in one of the post-game threads that in Ron's interview after the game on our post-game show, he even said something then to the effect of "We were too soft. Especially in coverage." He elaborated on it, but it really struck me as a weird thing to say because I thought the same thing you did - doesn't he have authority to change it?

That's why I have expressed even more concern about him since the game. It isn't any longer just about our team coming out looking unprepared multiple games now... It's clear something is amiss during games as well. The statement he made in the post-game interview suggested either he doesn't have any say or that the amount of cushion our DBs and LBs were giving was completely up to their own discretion, or both. Either way, something is off.

#20 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

Props to you for rewatching the game. I could barely stand to watch it the first time, let alone rewatch it and do a complete breakdown.

#21 cammycamjooce

cammycamjooce

NOT NEWB

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Rivera is awesome!

#22 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,712 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Rivera is a Hurney puppet, and Hurney needs to go.

#23 The Special One

The Special One

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

Well said.

#24 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

All I know is Sean McDermott is done in my mind. Infact I have had with him, I want him gone so bad I actually hope our defense gets even worse just to ensure he will be gone without a doubt. Isn't the bye week usually when coaches and coordinators get fired? If so, Sean better be gone by the time I tune in to the Cowboys game after the Bye, he is that terrible. All 3 of our games this season the offense has scored on ALL opening drives, pathetic!

#25 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm also not sold on Rivera also and most likely he's not our coach of the future BUT I believe Sean Mcd is so terrible I'm willing to give Rivera one more season under a brand new defensive coordinator and see what he can do.

#26 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Why that is such a huge problem for some of our fans and media is beyond me. It's a towel. Get over it. He acted professionally throughout, despite tough circumstances.

You should tell this to Steve Smith. He obviously thinks different than you do.

Also... I wouldn't be shocked one bit to learn Gatorade pays Cam to wear the towel.

#27 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

McDermott must have been afraid that the Giants would rape us with deep passes over the top of our defense if we used tighter coverage. That's a bad sign that McDermott has no confidence in our secondary, and would rather play a soft zone to prevent huge plays. What's most disturbing is that McDermott has a say in who we draft, pick up in FA, and who starts, but now doesn't believe in his players. How many more seasons will pass before we have defensive players good enough for McDermott to shine? There were plenty of good DBs availble in the draft, and floating around in FA. Our coaches chose Nakamura and Norman, so now they're going down with the ship.

As for our defensive line, we completely failed to draft the right DTs. McClain and Fua were a total disaster from day one, and now we fans are paying the price. When you fail in the draft, the only other option is FA to fix the problem. If your GM has burned through your teams money, then you get scrap heap players in FA. "We build through the draft" talk is bs code for we don't have the money to fix the problem in FA, and we screwed up the draft building part, so get ready to lose.

It's no wonder that the Giants handed us our ass in prime time. They draft extremely well, and they are smart with their money. I'm not going to say that we overpaid for player-X, I'm sick of that gabage. What I will say is that the amount of revenue each team spends on players in the NFL has leveled off, and yet we have considerably less talent than the Giants and many other teams in the NFL.

I expect this team to finish somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8, and I have to imagine this is McDerps last season, but who knows.

#28 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

You should tell this to Steve Smith. He obviously thinks different than you do.

Also... I wouldn't be shocked one bit to learn Gatorade pays Cam to wear the towel.

Let me ask you a question. Last year against Minnesota, when Cam had just converted a 4th and 14 to Brandon LaFell for the first, and they were in the red zone, should Cam have jumped all over Smitty for his holding that killed the game winning drive?

Cam didn't do anything any different than Luke Kuechly or Jon Beason, both of whom were seen hanging their heads on the sideline.

Here's an idea...how about letting one of our coordinators, or one of our veteran players show up for the post game press conference, and see how chipper they are.

Cam is a 23 year old kid that is expected to carry a not very good team. There are going to be rough spots.

Smdh.

#29 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

I re-watched the game tonight as well, and the two things that stuck out the most to me in reference to our offense was, one, how many of our drives were killed by JPP or Osi.

Two, Greg Olsen is the worse blocking TE that I've possibly seen in my life. His blocking was single handedly the reason why 3 of our first half drives stalled.

Chuds play calling didn't help, because at this point you should know your players strength and weaknesses, and asking Olsen to block a DE is just crazy.

#30 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I re-watched the game tonight as well, and the two things that stuck out the most to me in reference to our offense was, one, how many of our drives were killed by JPP or Osi.

Two, Greg Olsen is the worse blocking TE that I've possibly seen in my life. He was single handedly the reason why 3, that's right, I counted 3 drives that was stalled because of Greg Olsens blocking.

Chuds play calling didn't help, because at this point you should know your plays strength and weaknesses, and asking Olsen to block a DE is just crazy.

JPP earned his money on Thursday. I think he had 3 batted balls, and disrupted all night.

Regarding Olsen, he tries, but he's just not a great blocker. Neither is Barnidge (actually, he's worse). The problem is, Chud wants to have 3 to 5 receiving options on the field damn near every play, so playing Hartsock or Brockel more is not an option. And yes, TE and WR (especially Murphy) blocking has had a big impact on the success of both our running and passing game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com