94 replies to this topic

#11 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

To start....for you non readers, who like to write tldr....just skip to the last 2 paragraphs. I don't understand why some like to insult thoughtful posters who have a lot to say with that remark.

Good write up! As a fan of this team, I totally agree with what you wrote and how you feel.

I think a lot of Cam's regression, is also partly Chud's fault. DEF have a year of tape on us, and Chud is not game planning properly IMO. I feel at times that there is no plan B with Chud. I see other teams on the horn with there QB's or even their WR's when plays go bad, I never seen Cam or Smith on the phone talking to Chud. If Cam isnt taking what the DEF gives him, and is holding on to the ball, I would think we would correct this in game, not 6 games into the season. There is no way Cam goes 3 and a half QTRS and dont connect with Olsen. What is Chud watching when he is up in the box?

Same goes for the DEF, when we were playing soft vs the Giants, It seems they never coached the DB's to play tighter coverage. Same goes with Nakamura playing too deep. They just let Eli chip away at us all night long and we never adjusted to it. I mean we played tighter towards the Red Zone, but not when we had the Giants in their own territory. I remember RR mentioning that he felt we played too soft vs the Gaints. But he didn't adjust the game plan, or even coach up the players to play tighter. If the players played soft, that means they were coached to play soft. Its like RR lets this poo game plan go on during the games, and then wants to fix the issues during next training camp.

I hope JR lights a fire under RR, I dont see him getting fired after this season, I could see McDumbnutz get the axe as a scapegoat and maybe even Chud. But firing a HC after 2 years might be a little premature.

I cant stand looking at another 1-4 record again. These last 3 years have been so painful to watch. I just hope we can bounce back and be a contender again. I hate being bottom feeders in the NFL, let alone in the NFCS.

#12 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

To answer this part I'll say you kind of answered your own question. Good form tackling isn't something that's common (relative to the NFL anyway) among players at the collegiate level because a lot of the time the guy you're pursuing is some 5'9'' 185 lb running back from like Oshkosh State or something. Then the next year you're a rookie going up against a 5'11' 234 lb starting running back who is actually faster and more explosive. I think part of it as well is that we still have cover 2 type linebackers, which are much smaller and better suited for covering than being downhill thumpers. With smallish linebackers, you generally want to keep them clean so they can at least contest the ball carrier and not have to fight off blocks seeing as how they're not even 240. Our interior line is still pitiful at controlling the gaps at the line so...

one thing that isn't helping their transition to the NFL is the new CBA rules on contact during practice. tackling is going to get worse before it gets better and not just here.

your comments about having smaller LBs is also true with regards to the safeties. the cover 2 LBs are actually about the size our safeties need to be. TD would be just about perfect.

#13 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

It's hard to know who to blame tbh.....but I'm with cra and im ready for some true playmaking safeties. Make the DT and safety play better and the whole defense will benefit, maybe see kuechly in the middle next year

#14 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

one thing that isn't helping their transition to the NFL is the new CBA rules on contact during practice. tackling is going to get worse before it gets better and not just here.

your comments about having smaller LBs is also true with regards to the safeties. the cover 2 LBs are actually about the size our safeties need to be. TD would be just about perfect.

Yeap

Also expanding upon that point I did a lookup of missed tackles among linebackers and found this article by PFF which ranked tackling efficiency in a 3 year window. Some of those guys aren't playing anymore lol but it's fairly recent. I went and calculated average weight of the top 15 and bottom 15 in tackling and the top 15 weighed in at 247.4 lbs, while the bottom 15 weighed in on average at 240.7 lbs.

Based on what I've seen from this defense, the biggest reason for poor tackling is for the most part twofold. 1) Our line is letting guys get to the secondary level way too often, and when that happens of course there's going to be more missed tackles. Corners and even Safeties aren't very well suited to taking down plodding running backs alone in general. 2) Our linebackers are coming off major injury in addition to being undersized. Davis is the only one that reaches 240. The solution to this is pretty simple:

1. Upgrade the interior line. You do that by investing in DTs. I don't know about you, but there are some intriguing prospects in the draft and Alan Branch off the top of my head will be a free agent in 2013.

2. Get a little bit bigger at linebacker. The good news is Luke is still young so with an entire offseason of NFL weight training he should have no problem walking in next September at 245. He definitely has the frame to get that heavy, maybe even 250 without sacrificing speed. Other than that since we're locked into all these contract extensions it's going to be tough to get bigger there. Davis has kinda maxed out his 240 lb frame and at 237 Beason's approaching his max. I don't know how well they'll play at like 245 for example.

#15 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

show me your boobies

are you fuging serious?

#16 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Give Luke 1-2 years and he will be good size.

#17 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

The end of last season the Panthers had a pretty good thing going on offense. It was entertaining to watch and scored lots of points.

Seemed like we just needed to improve on defense and special teams during the off season and we would be a competitive team.

This year Chud came out with an offense that was significantly different from last year's, much less productive and much less entertaining.

In large part because of our anemic offense we are now on the verge of wasting another season.

Why didn't the Panthers utilize the same offense this season that was so successful last year?

Should we attempt to go back to that offense again or is it too late?

#18 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Too many problems crop up in this team. It should be said that John Fox made a team competitive with Rodney Peete at QB. Rivera has twice the QB of Peete with twice the losses. The worst part about it is that I only see a few players playing with fire now and there all on defense. Not a single player has shown fire on offense this season and thats just sad.

#19 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• LocationChina Grove, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

I agree with the sentiment essentially top to bottom (I differ in that I believe that poor tacking endemic to an entire team does stem from poor coaching - but that's not a point I want to belabor).

While I think the writing is on the wall for Hurney because of how poorly the team is built I do think the bye week is crucial to Rivera and whether he will keep this job. He has the opportunity here to either set his coordinators straight, take back some control of the team, or at least try to make some schematic adjustments to help us be competitive in the last part of the season. Even some playcalling changes within the scheme we have installed now could make a world of difference.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

The fundamental thing is what grates on me the most.

I coach some 5th to 7th graders who put more effort into the fundamentals than some of these paid professionals do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users